Girls and Scouting

Anything that doesn’t fit elsewhere yet.
Roxybeaver1
anti_spambot: 7

Girls and Scouting

Postby Roxybeaver1 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:51 pm

At the risk of offending some: do other group include feminine supplies on their kit lists to remind the girl members or simply assume that the girls will remember?

Looking at our 11-year-old female Cubs (moving up to Troop shortly thereafter) and just how much they had changed in three years (it's not just getting taller), it occurred to me that I, as a female leader (or any leader), should have more than just a first aid kit on hand but also extra sanitary supplies. (This didn't occur to me when my son was a Cub as they just happened to be all boys at during those three years and the topic didn't come up!)

Since kids are forgetful - our last two camps have been memorable for kids forgetting hats, water bottles, cups and toothbrushes despite the detailed kit lists - I am not sure it's enough to assume they will remember. At the same time, not everyone will be at ease with such topic/suggestion/list item.

The alternative to putting on the list would be, I suppose, discretely talking to the parents before camp.

Hawkeye3

Re: Girls and Scouting

Postby Hawkeye3 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:45 am

I am moving up to Troop this year. Yes, I will bring supplies and I will let parents and the female Scouts know this. My plan is also to e-mail the parents of the females to ask that all females come prepared with "sanitary supplies".

This is also a Cub Scout issue. I had at least one female youth who started in her Howler year. I was lucky enough in my years in Pack to have never dealt with it.

Sam Wallis

Postby Sam Wallis » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:24 pm

To me the way to list it on the kit list would be necessary health and sanitary supplies. a boy with an incontinence issue would be covered by that also, and it doesn't single anyone out. bringing some backup is probably a good idea. The supplies are actually useful in serious bleeding first aid cases anyway.

The Girl guides form ask if the girl is familiar with menstruation. I suppose that its a good idea to know, I would hate to deal with the kid who thinks she is dying because its an unknown, and I am sure that happens occasionally even in this day and age.
Truth is a perception, and a individual perception is their truth

norma

Postby norma » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:02 pm

Sam Wallis wrote:The Girl guides form ask if the girl is familiar with menstruation. I suppose that its a good idea to know, I would hate to deal with the kid who thinks she is dying because its an unknown, and I am sure that happens occasionally even in this day and age.

the Physical Fitness form used to ask. The current one doesn't but when the youth had to fill it out every year it did.
(here is one from 2005: http://www2.scouts.ca/windsor_area/down ... hysfit.pdf) But when the form was consolidated with the registration form, a lot of the details were dropped. (Interestingly it also asked if they were pregnant also)

norma

Postby norma » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:26 pm

If you are going to put it on the kit list, you kinda have to have a conversation with the girls in your troop to find out what they call "it". Seems everyone calls them different things and some don't even know the generic names.

I always just thought they were included in toiletries. We never had "toothbrush, toothpaste, face cloth, etc" by the time we were 10 or 11, just a general "toiletries" which included anything that you would need in the washroom while at camp.

Also if you do bring extras, you need some way of letting them know that the extras are available. So you would need to have the discussion anyway. So don't think you will get out of having the conversation either way.

Return to “General Discussion”