What is an Akela?

Anything that doesn’t fit elsewhere yet.
Roxybeaver1
anti_spambot: 7

What is an Akela?

Post by Roxybeaver1 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:51 am

I've been approached to be Aklea next year. And I'm not sure I want the job. I've seen five different ones and each one very different from the other. I know it's a lot of work and commitment; but could it not be a more collaborative approach to it too?

So, I ask this: What does Akela do? Not do? What could he (or she) do? What should he do? Were you Akela and did you love it? Or regret it? What would you do differently? Was your GC the "boss" or a partner in making your program successful?

My fear is taking too much on; and not being able to fill the very, very large shoes being left behind by a very competent, ambitious current Akela. I also am not strong in Scout Craft. Goodness knows I can organize an evening, plan things, type up emails and talk to parents but can I do the rest?

norma

Re: What is an Akela?

Post by norma » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:46 pm

Akela is the "lead leader" for the Cub Section.
What they actually do is up to the Akela. They are the one with overall responsibility for the section and accountable to the Group Commissioner and Group Committee.

They can delegate as much or as little as they are comfortable with.

If you are not comfortable with the scout craft you can delegate that to another Scouter or helper.

Our current Akela has delegated a lot of the details for the programming to other Scouters in a more "shared leadership" model.
Others have taken a more overall role (all the planning and organizing) and just told the other Scouters what is happening at a meeting/event and they implement it the way the Akela said.

It partly does depend on your leadership team. How much they are willing to step up to different tasks, or if they are just there to "be a body".

Sam Wallis

Post by Sam Wallis » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:32 am

I agree with what Norma says. I have gone thru 5 Akela's and all were different. sit with the leaders who will be there and ask what they can do. I cant spend the time booking camps, events etc but I can for sure help with the scoutcraft and such. So we divide accordingly.
Truth is a perception, and a individual perception is their truth

Hawkeye3

Post by Hawkeye3 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:00 pm

What do your team and you want Akela to be?

I have worked mostly in strong Akela systems. Akela "ruled" all and gave jobs. However, recently the team demanded more say in the program. I would talk to the team and ask what they want, what they can offer, and what you can offer.

I too went from Hawkeye (head of Beavers) to Akela, it's a lot more work. I suggest delegating some of the tasks. Updating badge software and sending comms were two of my biggest time users.

Everyone has time, talent, and treasure to share. The question is which ones will be shared and in what quantities.