Blue Star question...

A place to share program ideas. Subdivided as needed for popular categories.
Roxybeaver1
anti_spambot: 7

Blue Star question...

Post by Roxybeaver1 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:33 pm

So, this year we are working on Blue and Green stars.

Two of the blue star requirements are proving to be challenging:

Visit a communications service, such as a newspaper plant, telephone exchange, printing press, radio or TV station, etc. Tell about or make a scrapbook of your visit.
Visit a transportation centre, such as an airport, a railway station, bus depot, taxi dispatcher, etc. Tell about or make a scrapbook of your visit.

While doing these two won't stop the Cubs meeting 4 of the 6 to do, they are interesting things to visit. However, the airport and railway station has made it abundantly clear that tours are not an option. I am not sure how exciting a taxi dispatcher would be; and not all areas have a bus depot. One of our leaders is trying to see if we can tour an OC Transpo bus depot.

Similarly, I was not able to score a tour of the newspaper - they no longer do them. I have yet to try calling a radio station (which to choose? There are so many!).

Is anyone else having issues trying to visit these places?

2HC-OldChil

Re: Blue Star question...

Post by 2HC-OldChil » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:24 pm

Try to adapt the requirement to what is available locally. I visited a railway marshalling yard and it was 50/50 for interesting. We visited a transportation museum and 50/50 in another year. Another year we visited the airport but used the roof of the parking garage to get a sense of wow and that was hit but lacking the nitty gritty details of how it worked. I found that getting into a printing plant was easy but not very interesting for the kids as there are lots of printing companies around. Where is your group so others can lend a hand.

Sam Wallis

Post by Sam Wallis » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:33 pm

We did visit the airport, they have a program for kids in Calgary, not a tour, there isnt a hope in heck of a behind the scenes tour of an airport. touring an airline hanger might have more potential. Scored a tour once of the Westjet hanger in calgary, and before that a tour of the AC hanger where we got to tour the plane the Calgary flames fly on.

maybe touring something like that would be better than trying to tour a whole airport, which a detailed tour would take days, if you were permited...
Truth is a perception, and a individual perception is their truth

Roxybeaver1

Post by Roxybeaver1 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:54 am

We are in Ottawa. There are a couple of small airports in the area but the other challenge is doing something on a Monday night. When events are moved to weekends, the numbers drop.

I have my fingers crossed for the OC Transpo depot. There would be a lot of buses in there...and the depot is not far from where we meet!

Hawkeye3

Post by Hawkeye3 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:31 pm

Hi Roxy,
I do not think you will have any luck with OCTranspo. They have a minimum age requirement (18 as I remember).

Why not try the Aviation and Space Museum? It is at the Rockcliffe Airport...
Tom

SteveMatheson

Post by SteveMatheson » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:17 am

Our Transit does tours. The highlight for the kids was taking a bus through the bus-wash. Since your transit terminal is near your meeting hall, it would be great to have them see the inside of it!

We also visited our local radio station. (Funny how the only way to keep some kids to be quiet is to put a microphone in front of them and ask them to say something.)

In both cases it allowed the kids to see and understand something in their neighbourhood at a different level. That, I believe, is the real intent of these requirements. Be creative and don't worry too much about not being able to see "behind the scenes". There is always lots to see from a child's point of view.
Steve Matheson
Group Commissioner, 3rd Eastern Passage
Nova Scotia

Roxybeaver1

Post by Roxybeaver1 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:41 pm

We are still waiting to hear back from OC Transpo.

I should try calling the radio stations. There are a few in town but the distance is a buzz kill for some parents who already run tardy on a good night.

Rick Gruchy

Post by Rick Gruchy » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:10 pm

Steve,

Who is your contact at metro transit?

SteveMatheson

Post by SteveMatheson » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:05 am

We were fortunate as one of our leaders is working as a driver. He arranged the tour, but was working an unable to be present at that time. His son did get to talk to him through the radio at the dispatch centre, which was pretty neat.

The do have someone on staff to arrange these things. Try sending an email to them. http://www.halifax.ca/transit/contact.php
Steve Matheson
Group Commissioner, 3rd Eastern Passage
Nova Scotia