Cubs, you think you can cook?

A place to share program ideas. Subdivided as needed for popular categories.
Hawkeye3
anti_spambot: 7

Cubs, you think you can cook?

Post by Hawkeye3 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:05 pm

In my area, I am trying to set up a cooking competition. Here are the details (as far as I have them planned):

Before the competition, Cubs (in Sixes) will have to create a menu, prepare the "material" (e.g. stoves, pans, etc.) and create a shopping list

On the day of the competition, Cubs will:
*show up in the parking lot of a grocery store;
*set up all equipment
*shop for ingredients (go into the store in their Sixes, find their ingredients, and purchase them)
*prepare and eat food
*clean

Cubs will be scored for things like team work, planning, politeness to staff, cleaning, food safety (no Baloo, you can't lick your fingers), and perhaps the food quality (that is really secondary).

While shopping, leaders would be stationed around the store to ensure civility, mark for politeness, and give guidance where required. There would be a time limit for shopping. The store has been "warned" (I have asked for permission).

Anyone out there have any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks,
Tom

norma

Re: Cubs, you think you can cook?

Post by norma » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:57 pm

When they have to shop, do they have to stay in their Sixes? or can they send johnny to get milk and paul to get potatoes and all meet at the cash register?

Sounds like a really fun adventure.

Hawkeye3

Post by Hawkeye3 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:05 pm

Hi Roxy,
Good question. Shopping must be done in Sixes. We are using the buddy system. This will give the Sixer and Second a more immediate leadership role.
Thanks for asking! That will help me prepare the written instructions.
Tom

SteveMatheson

Post by SteveMatheson » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:29 am

This is a neat idea, we might just have to steal it.
Also might be good for a winter time activity too! Many grocery stores have community rooms that they will lend out free, so long as you purchase any and all food in the store (which fits this activity well).
Yes, to keep them in their sixes.
Great practice for camp cooking too!

Please gather any favourite recipes on the Scouts Canada Wiki (or post them here and I'll put them on for you)
http://wiki.scouts.ca/en/Outdoor_Skills_-_Cooking
Steve Matheson
Group Commissioner, 3rd Eastern Passage
Nova Scotia

Sam Wallis

Post by Sam Wallis » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:14 pm

loving this idea. might steal it myself.

comunity room gives me another thought for our group too. this looks like great fun.
Truth is a perception, and a individual perception is their truth

Hawkeye3

Post by Hawkeye3 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:24 pm

Hello everyone,
Here is my DRAFT rule set / invitation. This document should be open for comments:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aiF ... sp=sharing

Please let me know what you think.

Tom

Hawkeye3

Post by Hawkeye3 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:06 pm

Hello everyone,
I ran the competition last week for a total of 3 packs. It worked well! The entire plan is on the Google Drive link above.

Our cooking area was a well lit parking lot, the Cubs behaved well, and we got some incredible food.

What worked well:
  • Chits - every time the Cubs did something well, they were given a chit - "Hey, your Six is walking in the store, here is a chit! Well done!"
  • Chits - when an action didn't meet expectations, no chit was given - "Sorry, I saw you running. I can't give your Six a chit. Keep trying."
  • Pre-arranging the time / event with the store. We showed up and no one was surprised.
  • Cubs made their lists the week before.
  • While shopping, Cubs kept a running total of how much they were spending. They got chits for that too!
  • Having a first aider there. We had one small cut, no big deal. But, it was a busy night, he did other work for me too. Just nice to have a back up.
What needs to change:
  • Next year, don't do it the week before Hallowe'en. Do it earlier in the year
  • Garbage disposal - I had two garbage bags and a compost bag. I need to explain those better. One bag was meant for recycle...
The feedback was positive. We will run this next year on the night of the Federal Election when we don't have our school.