United Nations Night for Pack

A place to share program ideas. Subdivided as needed for popular categories.
Angus Bickerton
anti_spambot: 7

United Nations Night for Pack

Post by Angus Bickerton » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:48 am

Okay, I'm the guy responsible for putting this on next Thursday. I am turning the denizens of talkscouts for help.

Any ideas on how to put this on in a fun and meaningful way?

I think Syria is the obvious issue we could use as a focal point, but I don't want it to be a boring current events kind of night. Perhaps a project of "how should the UN help Syria?"

Ideas?
Angus Bickerton
Troop Scouter
Brockville Troop
1st Brockville Group Committee
1st Gilwell 2011 (Colony) 2013 (Pack)

There is no armour made that can withstand the truth - Karsa Orlong

Roxybeaver1

Re: United Nations Night for Pack

Post by Roxybeaver1 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:43 am

Just throwing ideas out there: Flags. How to say hello or goodbye in a multitude of languages. Who can join. What does the UN do? Do they have any real power? How can kids be involved?

You can mention Syria...and also a place where the UN is already helping. They help with education for starters. And of course, UNICEF! UNICEF's website might have some tools (I took a quick look and there is a section for students and a section for teachers).

Not sure what star you are working on but if you could work in a donation or a charitable act for the Cubs to participate in, that would be cool too.

2HC-OldChil

Re: United Nations Night for Pack

Post by 2HC-OldChil » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:47 pm

I took the flag idea farther and used an idea out of a Leaders book. Using two loaves of round pumpernickel bread, hollowed them out and filled the centre with soft candies, sealing the halves with icing sugar. The bread has to get stale to hold the shape. It made a sphere, sort of.

Then use the "globe" and put flags of the world around the outside. I smashed the globe (it was a powder storm after two weeks) on the floor at the end of the session and meeting, making for a free for all grabbing candies ending the meeting. They remembered it as did my AC who was visiting that night. Fits nicely with Halloween and Christmas - just vary the theme of the flags and the world. My son still has one of the flags on his pegboard and that was 16 years ago.