Coleman two buner stoves

A place to share program ideas. Subdivided as needed for popular categories.
Scouter James J
anti_spambot: 7

Coleman two buner stoves

Post by Scouter James J » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:45 pm

Hello All,
After talking with Scouters at CJ 13 I thought I would post this.
Rebuilding two burner Coleman stoves I have done with my scouts several times and this is easy and can be very affordable.
Most of the time I get them for free once I start asking around or placing ads on places like Kijiji.
The most pricey thing is the heat enamel paint.
If you would like hand outs or details on this project please let me know.
Thank you,
James
Scout Master
Crossroads 36 Scout troup
Calgary Ab
31 years with Crossroads

SteveMatheson

Re: Coleman two buner stoves

Post by SteveMatheson » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:49 pm

Our Troop has a few 2-burner Coleman stoves that are starting to get a bit "finicky", especially in the winter. Perhaps a rebuild or a few is in order.

Sure, I would be interested in the project details and handouts. If they are not in electronic format I can scan and post them for all.

(We also have a 3-burner Coleman that we never use. It's a beast of thing!)
Steve Matheson
Group Commissioner, 3rd Eastern Passage
Nova Scotia

Scouter James J

Post by Scouter James J » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:55 pm

Here are the coleman stove and lantern info. I have also included rebuild info for a Coleman 2 burner stove. If you have a lantern that needs rebuilding ask if I have info about that model. As a collector of Coleman items if you have something cool within your group I would love to see or have you share it. As I said most of the time you can get these for free and the youth can take them home and love them for a life time.

Steve I would love to see pic's of that monster! they are very collectable. Depending on the model used they start about $140+
Attachments
Liquid Fuel Stove Maintenance.doc
Lantern
(408.5 KiB) Downloaded 213 times
Coleman Stove Rebuild.doc
Stove rebuild
(1.53 MiB) Downloaded 220 times
Liquid Fuel Stove Maintenance.doc
Stoves
(408.5 KiB) Downloaded 220 times
Scout Master
Calgary Ab
31 years with Crossroads

Angus Bickerton

Post by Angus Bickerton » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:57 pm

James:

Thanks a lot! We've converted our troop back to naptha after years of propane (and car camping: eew.), and we acquired a bunch of old stoves that work, but not optimally, and they look horrible. These will be great projects for our scouts to work on together. Thanks for these!
Angus Bickerton
Troop Scouter
Brockville Troop
1st Brockville Group Committee
1st Gilwell 2011 (Colony) 2013 (Pack)

There is no armour made that can withstand the truth - Karsa Orlong

Sam Wallis

Post by Sam Wallis » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:42 am

I have an old backpacking naptha stove that I need to rebuild. apparently 20 years sitting on a shelf did nothing good for the gaskets and orings. if I get the model would you have info?
Thanks in advance
Truth is a perception, and a individual perception is their truth

Scouter James J

Post by Scouter James J » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:15 pm

Hi Sam, Yes if you get me a model then I can put somthing together for a rebuild doc. Depending on the model it may not use O-rings most of the time the packing may not be in tact or that the brass rings may have gotten over tighten. Stoves are really simple, there is not a lot to them, some times if you just swap out the generator and give it a good clean with simply green they work with no issues. But, if you get the model and if its a coleman by the fuel turn on/off is the date stamp or on the side of the tank if it's older and imbossed with coleman canada, other ones will have a date stamp on the bottem with a month and year that helps also for rebuilding. A picture or two helps also. Depending on the colour, year and model this maybe very collectable. Lots of collectors in the US and Canada go nuts for one burner coleman's. There is a Scouter in Maple Ridge BC named Jan and he goes nuts for these too. :lol:
Scout Master
Calgary Ab
31 years with Crossroads

4thSackville

Post by 4thSackville » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:16 am

I've got 6 Colman stoves in my shed waiting for rebuild ( and two more in the house) from various years. The biggest issue I have seen is with fuel turning to varnish in the generators. Is simply green the best way to clean that out? I am trying to get the troop to move away from propane and I am starting to teach our pack about safe use of naphtha :)

Angus Bickerton

Post by Angus Bickerton » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:09 am

4thSackville:

The varnish problem is best dealt with by changing out the generator entirely, in my experience. Generators have a very, very thin tube, and getting enough solvent through to get the hardened fuel deposits out is all but impossible. Not to mention, Simply Green doesn't take care of the varnishing, just grease deposits. You'd have to use something like varsol or mineral spirits to get rid of varnishing, and like I said, it's hard to get it through a clogged generator. If the generator does have some vapour going through, then the varsol might remove the deposits.

Still, its nasty stuff to use, and the generator might not survive anyway. Best to change it out, all things considered. You should have extra generators around, anyway, in case you need to do a replacement in the field.
Angus Bickerton
Troop Scouter
Brockville Troop

Scouter James J

Post by Scouter James J » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:59 am

4thSackville wrote:I've got 6 Colman stoves in my shed waiting for rebuild ( and two more in the house) from various years. The biggest issue I have seen is with fuel turning to varnish in the generators. Is simply green the best way to clean that out? I am trying to get the troop to move away from propane and I am starting to teach our pack about safe use of naphtha :)
If your using Coleman fuel it should not varnish up on you. That being said, the ones I find that are varnished up, soaking it overnight in Hoppes #9 gun cleaner, blowing it out with carb cleaner, then all the tar wipes right off and it's shiny as new! It should run great. Simply green tends to cut the grease and dirt but will not get rid of the varnish.

I agree with Angus some times it's easier to cut your losses and replace it with a spare or two in in the gear box to replace if needed in the feild.
Scout Master
Calgary Ab
31 years with Crossroads

southpaw_1979

Post by southpaw_1979 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:05 pm

Excellent info, I just cleaned up the troops coleman stoves before we went on our summer trip, they were getting a bit finicky. One needed a new generator, both of them had some corrosion in the burners rings. Cleaned up they work perfect.

Personally I have half a dozed coleman lanterns waiting for attention and a Coleman 421 stove with the original box waiting for my attention.

BR

Angus Bickerton

Post by Angus Bickerton » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:26 pm

Today I just got a line on an old 446A Three-burner in pretty good nick. Needs a good cleaning and paint job, but it works well, and has the old cast burner tubes, instead of the pressed tin that they've used since the mid-seventies.

If all you scouters are looking for naptha stoves, try to get your hand on stuff made before the early 1970s, as they are definitely superior. Avoid the Easy-Lite crap they made in the 1980's, as they are always a little dangerous to light (definitely NOT easy-lite!). Anything made now might look shiny, but they are not near the quality that they were 40-50 years ago.
Angus Bickerton
Troop Scouter
Brockville Troop

Scouter James J

Post by Scouter James J » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:58 pm

Angus, wow a 446A! now that would be a sight! they are very nice. I had a 975B donated to the troop a few years back and it makes a 446 look like Peak 400A! next to it. Its a pig on fuel easly burning though 4L in a few hours of use. It is only good if your car camping because it weights over 20lbs. It has been repainted afew times I think.
Scout Master
Calgary Ab
31 years with Crossroads

Angus Bickerton

Post by Angus Bickerton » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:32 am

James, what kind of paint do you use for the burners and the manifold? Do you recommend a specific kind? I have learned that the Rust-oleum hunter green is good for the lanterns and the stove cases, but haven't found a paint that I am confident would withstand the heat generated by the burners.
Angus Bickerton
Troop Scouter
Brockville Troop

Scouter James J

Post by Scouter James J » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:00 pm

Augus,
I have used a few types of paint, Krylon alum. high heat paint after the spraying I bake it for 30 min. at 200 F this paint is good to 1200 F. I have also used VHT High-Temperature Paint (VHT FlameProof) and baked it at 170F. (Look for these at automotive stores) Do not use the family range for this, it will smell up the whole house a used toaster oven from a gararge sale works great! Also make sure you use light coats letting 40 hours between coats. becarful not to clog the jets.
Scout Master
Calgary Ab
31 years with Crossroads