Bike Rodeo

A place to share program ideas. Subdivided as needed for popular categories.
bcbagheera
anti_spambot: 7

Bike Rodeo

Post by bcbagheera » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:21 pm

Has anyone done a bike rodeo? I know our district did them in the past, but that was before my time and all the people that organized them are long gone. I see a framework for one in the jumpstart package but I would like to add to it, and I am looking for suggestions for other activities.

YIS

Paul Martyn
Bagheera, 6th West Whalley

ayates

Re: Bike Rodeo

Post by ayates » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:33 pm

What exactly is a bike rodeo?

bcbagheera

Post by bcbagheera » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:39 pm

bicycle saftey event, usually include maintenance section, saftey rules section and some practical stuff. Look at the Jumpstart for Bikes.

ayates

Post by ayates » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:09 pm

Looks like our Cubs did one of those the year after I left Cubs. See http://www.1stmerrickville.ca/cubs/pict ... /index.htm. The photos will give an idea of the activities that were setup.

I will email you the email address of our Akela at the time.

Allan.

dermanus

Post by dermanus » Tue May 10, 2011 2:38 pm

We did ours last week. We started off with a quick safety talk (kept brief for the Beavers attention spans) and then the kids off of training wheels went off to do some trail riding, and the other group stayed in the parking lot and did an obstacle course.
We also brought some basic maintenance stuff (pump, wrench, pliers) and helped them check their bikes before we left. Pumping tires was a popular activity.

Hawkeye3

Post by Hawkeye3 » Tue May 10, 2011 9:38 pm

Here is ours:
1) Bike safety check (wheels and handlebars on tightly, tires full, bell / horn, lights)
2) Helmet check - Hit your head. If it hurts, it's 'cause you're not wearing your helmet! No helmet, no biking!
3) Learn and practice turning / stopping signals while standing
4) Bike in a straight line, look, signal, turn
5) In stations:
a) Obstacle course (off road --> sand --> slalom through cones
b) intersection drawn in chalk on ground
c) "Drag racing" - race in straight line and stop
6) closing

2HC-OldChil

Post by 2HC-OldChil » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:35 pm

Our Area has done this and we hold it every 3 years so they (Cubs) don't get stale. The above list is pretty close to what we did and the event had a card that "qualified" the Cub and could be used at Pack to prove attendance hence qualifying for the Cyclist badge is the Pack was willing.

makr
anti_spambot: 0

Post by makr » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:52 am

See if you can get some bicycle police out for the event, make it "official" in that regard. Also offer engraving and serial number services for bike identification.

Go for short (10-20 minute ride on quiet streets) group or in individual sixes ride with Venturers and Rovers interspersed for supervision. Cubs should be able to ride on residential streets without any problems anyway. Include a left turn at a light so they can learn how to cross safely at a light.

RakelaK

Post by RakelaK » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:22 am

We've done them.... with a program similar to what Hawkeye3 posted above.

We get the local Police involved.... since they have their own "Cycle-Force" anyway... and they contribute a lot of enthusiasm to the whole Rodeo program.

They have always been a tremendous success. It really helps out the local Police if the rally is a linking event with as many groups as possible getting the benefit from their visit.