Law, Promise & Motto - Cub scouts?

A place to share program ideas. Subdivided as needed for popular categories.
kaa27th
anti_spambot: 7

Law, Promise & Motto - Cub scouts?

Post by kaa27th » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:50 am

We have a few new cubs in our group that started a little late, and are doing investiture in a couple of weeks. I am looking for some ideas on making this rather dry topic fun. Our 2nd & 3rd years could also benefit from going over them again.
I am thinking of making all three into a big puzzle-game for them.
Any other ideas?
YIS
Akela (formerly Kaa),
Peterborough, ON

Karl Wagner

Re: Law, Promise & Motto - Cub scouts?

Post by Karl Wagner » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:58 am

This is a perfect opportunity for a little leadership development. Consider challenging the sixers and seconders to have their new members ready for investiture and make it their responsibility to help the new members learn the promise, law, and motto.

Keep the puzzle idea in your back pocket just in case.
I'm an INTP. What are you?

ayates

Post by ayates » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:18 pm

I've done the puzzle thing for the Cub promise. All words printed in large font and each word separate. Flip all upside down. Relay race by six. Each cub turns over a word and tries to place it in the right place. Next Cub can either flip a new word over or move an existing word to where they think it should go. A variation on a compass game we played with the Cubs.

kaa27th

Post by kaa27th » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:39 pm

Thanks, great ideas!
YIS
Akela (formerly Kaa),
Peterborough, ON

scoutleader101

Post by scoutleader101 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:10 pm

Karl's suggestion is critically important. You really need to emphasize to your Sixers/Seconds that being a youth leader has responsibilities (and as an adult leader you should really be depending on them) They should definitely be the ones that drive this. Of course, your game idea is great so how about letting the youth leaders run it. Help them to help your new cubs.

Hold a Sixers Council and ask them what they think they could do?

Garth

AnzacRon

Post by AnzacRon » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:40 pm

Our Sixer & Seconds were given this taks from day one, and I can state that it works very well for us. The Sixers & Seconds were given guidelines (ie games or skits) to plan to help with the "training" of the tenderpads.

After our Silver Star training, the Sixer's and Seconds kicked this task into gear, and we now have newest Cub Scouts ready to be invested.

Youth leading youth - a simple way to learn!
Scouter Ron aka Baloo
1st Anzac Scout Group
Anzac, Alberta.

kaa27th

Post by kaa27th » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:59 am

We ended up doing a game in sixes, where each six had to collect words by trading with the other six or by earning more words by answering trivia questions. It became a race which six could put together the promise faster, but they kept themselves entertained for almost an hour and learned lots of cub trivia, not just their promise. It worked out really well.
We happened to have four white tails up at this meeting as well, and they got the added benefit of being introduced this way and getting to know the kids in the six they joined.
YIS
Akela (formerly Kaa),
Peterborough, ON