If the only tool you have is a hammer...

Ideas , musings, questions, or comments that help build that sense of "Team" in this online collaboration.

Which of the 2 quotes in this article do you prefer?

Abraham Maslow
55%
Gary Zukov
23%
Both
14%
Neither
9%

Total votes: 22

Karl Wagner
anti_spambot: 7

If the only tool you have is a hammer...

Post by Karl Wagner » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:20 am

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you will see every problem as a nail. -- Abraham Maslow
Reality is what we take to be true. What we take to be true is what we believe. What we believe is based upon our perceptions. What we perceive depends upon what we look for. What we look for depends on what we think. What we think depends on what we perceive. What we perceive determines what we believe. What we believe determines what we take to be true. What we take to be true is our reality. -- Gary Zukov (The Dancing Wu Li Masters)
If you have completed Woodbadge II or been exposed to organizational behaviour theory through other means, you might recognize Abraham Maslow from his hierarchy of needs. Gary Zukov's quote comes from another website I stumbled upon looking for Maslow's quote. It says the same thing, in a different way. Which quote resonates more with you?

This posting, and this forum, arrived here in a roundabout way. I asked myself what can I do to get a group of like-minded individuals with an interest in the future of Scouting in Canada to share ideas and formulate plans to make Scouting better? How do I give everybody an opportunity to voice an opinion and give them a chance to have those opinions heard? How do we turn those ideas into actions? How do we get started?

The little step I could take was putting up this forum. It takes very little effort for a person with the right knowledge and skills to pull together one of these websites. In Scouting we have a lot of people with the right skills to do just about everything. So how do we tap into our membership to find the person with the right skills who can do the other jobs that would take them an hour but would take me days, weeks, or months? A lot of hard problems for me are easy for somebody else.

Sometimes the challenge is too big for an individual. Collaboration is required. Effective collaboration requires team building. Throwing a bunch of people together, even with the clearest objective, may yield no useful results. According to Bruce Tuckman, every team goes through 4 stages: FORMING, STORMING, NORMING, and PERFORMING. Teams that work through the first three stages are capable of great things. Teams that cannot achieve the performing stage are unlikely to succeed. Understanding group dynamics is the foundation of everything we do in the Movement, and will determine the ultimate success of this forum, and Scouting.

We don't think alike. None of us. We won't always see a problem as a nail, because we are not all hammers. We share common values and demonstrate those through our commitment to Scouting. Some of us share very similar points of view and similar preferences but we are all different. That is a good thing. It means that idea people like me can team up with planning people and decision people and feeling people and accomplish some amazing things. Recognizing that others don't think the same way you do is a major step in leadership development. Recognizing that their contributions are every bit as valid as your own leads to better decisions.

My signature below gives my Myers-Briggs Type Indicator and points at a quiz you can take to get a sense of your preferences. More importantly, it may give others a clue about how you perceive the world and make decisions. Myers-Briggs gauges your preferences using 4 pairs of parameters and results in a set of 16 combinations, each a 4 letter acronym.
  • Extroversion - Introversion: Where do you get your energy, from without or from within?
  • Sensing -INtuiting: How do you gather information?
  • Thinking - Feeling: How do weigh alternatives and make decisions?
  • Judgment - Perception: Which decision-making function do you favour (sensing - intuiting) or (thinking-feeling)?
MBTI is a tool that can help teams get to and stay in the PERFORMING phase. INTPs like me are more interested in picking the right tool for the job than actually doing the job that needs to be done. Who needs hammers and nails when there are so many other fasteners to choose from?

So have you decided which quote you prefer? Let me know by voting and posting a reason for why you voted. Maybe we will all gain a little insight into the way you think.
I'm an INTP. What are you?

andrewpaterson

Re: If the only tool you have is a hammer...

Post by andrewpaterson » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:58 am

I like the Maslow quote because it's simpler and straight to the point. Using more words rarely makes things clearer.

My personality type... ENTJ. Although my score has moderated somewhat over the years:
Strength of the preferences %
E:89 N:12 T:1 J:1

Strong E... who would have guessed! My T & J are situational... I like to know that there other fasteners, which is why I like working with xNTPs... but I'm really about putting things together... once... then move on.
YIS
Andrew

You must show (them) by Your action that you consider (them to be) a responsible being. ... but in any case leave (them) alone and trust (them) to do (their) best. Trust should be the basis of all our moral training.
~ Lord Baden-Powell of Gilwell, Aids to Scoutmastership, 1920

John Simpson

Post by John Simpson » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:24 am

I like'em both. The first for it's snappiness. The second for its progressive explanation.

I'm an INTJ and have been F O R E V E R. You can read about them at http://keirsey.com/handler.aspx?s=keirs ... mastermind.

Now, if we only had an ENTP in this thread we'd have a full set of Rationals.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit." ~Aristotle

armedwithjello

Post by armedwithjello » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:32 am

I prefer the simplicity of the hammer analogy. I had to read the second quote several times before I figured out what it was saying.

I'm an ENFJ.

Chris Dougherty
anti_spambot: 0

Post by Chris Dougherty » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:33 am

INTJ

Lynn Eremondi

Post by Lynn Eremondi » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:13 pm

INFJ

Errol Feldman

Post by Errol Feldman » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:15 am

I took the test; this is me:
Your Type is
ISTJ

@edited colour
Last edited by Errol Feldman on Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:26 am, edited 5 times in total.
Errol Feldman
Commissioner
Scouts Canada - Europe
Just an Old Dinosaur

“Do, or do not. There is no try.”
Master Yoda

Robert D White

Post by Robert D White » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:32 am

ISTJ
Responsible, organized, and objective. Has the patience and follow-through to confirm that the plans are realized. Love of precision and an ability to handle detail. Loyal to their close associates.
Robert White
Group Commissioner, 1st Guelph Firefighter Venturers/1st Guelph Rovers
Chaplain, Wellington Area
I'm an ISTJ

Mark Milan

Post by Mark Milan » Fri May 22, 2009 1:23 pm

Karl:

INTJ, as you already knew. Good to see that you're putting all that WB II training to use! :)

I really like the hammer quote for it's directness (sort of like a hammer, you might say), but I'd like to use that other one for a course because it makes one think.

Mark.

Mark Merryweather

Post by Mark Merryweather » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:07 pm

Mr Simpson - You said you needed an ENTP for the Rationals to be complete. Here I am!

MM
J Mark Merryweather, PhD
Scouts Canada,
It Starts with Scouts

bellscornerscommish

Post by bellscornerscommish » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:02 am

I like both quotes, but the first one gets the edge for being snappy. I usually use the full-length version of it, however.

I'm a borderline INTJ/INTP. 15 years ago I was definitely an INTJ, but age is mellowing me....maybe. Anyway, the test score has shifted, and hopefully I don't tramp on people's feelings as much anymore.

But, back to team building. Myer Briggs may help you understand why you like working with X, but can't stand to be in a room with Y, but that's all intellectual, and team-building, with X, Y, and U, has to get into the personal and touchy-feely. Working on common projects, and meeting face to face, can't be beat, though using 'social media' for info sharing and common projects is helpful. Common experiences, of any sort, can't be beat.

As a new Group Commissioner, I find its the sense of 'team' across the leadership that's missing - there's a tendency to a 'silo' approach between sections, and I am trying to encourage not only linking activities, but social activities among the leaders and their families, to build a sense of team and community for the whole Scouting group. (The next 'leaders and families' BBQ is this Saturday; then I'll host something in October to include the new leaders with the continuing leaders).

Jim in Bells Corners

ayates

Post by ayates » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:21 am

>As a new Group Commissioner, I find its the sense of 'team' across the leadership that's missing - there's a tendency to a 'silo' approach between sections, and I am trying to encourage not only linking activities, but social activities among the leaders and their families, to build a sense of team and community for the whole Scouting group. (The next 'leaders and families' BBQ is this Saturday; then I'll host something in October to include the new leaders with the continuing leaders).

This is quite common, unfortunately. I've seen groups that are very integrated and have lots of group wide activities, and others where the sections practically go out of their way to frustrate each other. The silo mentality is probably the norm, where each section only wants to worry about themselves. The leader BBQ idea is good, we have done it a few times, but it can sometimes be hard on leaders to dedicate another time to Scouting when they are away (hopefully) so many weekends as it is.

Allan.

AnotherAkela

Post by AnotherAkela » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:53 am

Like the simplicity of the "hammer" thought.
I'm going to guess I'm an ESTJ - beware :) .

craigske

Post by craigske » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:12 pm

ENFJ

Interesting exercise.
Yours in Scouting,

Craig "Hawkeye" Skelton,
Group Commissioner for 1st Okanagan Mission Scouts
Email: craig@craigskelton.com

Prepare the child for the path, not the path for the child. -someone wiser than I.

Check out our website at http://www.scouts.ca
Scouting Now! http://www.scoutingnow.org/
New Leaders, check out the New Leader Welcome Kit: http://www.scouts.ca/dnn/hidden/NewLead ... fault.aspx

gordtulloch

Post by gordtulloch » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:07 pm

Before you put too much emphasis on MBTIs please read the following...

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4221

Be skeptical of catch all personality tests created by people that don't appear to be qualified to do so...

Regards,
Gord
----
YIS - Gord, Troop Scouter 1st Southdale Winnipeg

Brandon

Post by Brandon » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:58 pm

Great personal test.

I'm a ESTJ.

Scouter Richie

Post by Scouter Richie » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:11 am

I'm an INTJ. Since we can't physically talk to each other this is at least another way for us to get to know each other and where there view are coming from.

To answer the original question, I like the hammer quote because it is to the point and sums up all the information concisely.
YIS
Richie
Deputy Council Youth Commissioner - Youth Training & Special Events
Saskatchewan Council

bellscornerscommish

Post by bellscornerscommish » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:08 pm

I'm a skeptic, Gord, but Myers Briggs has worked in too many situations with too many people (in just my personal experience) for me to dismiss it.

Curiously enough, in some Myers Briggs manuals there is a description of certain MB types who will dismiss MB personality typing out of hand! I just don't remember which types those were...

On the other topic, the leader BBQ/Christmas Cheer/leader family tobogganing days/etc. are helping to reduce the 'silo' tendencies in our group. Sections are in better touch. As a note to those trying this, approach the spouses of leaders when planning leader and 'leader families' - they are often more 'into' getting out for some fun with their kids than the leader is!

Jim

Scouter Harry

Post by Scouter Harry » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:06 pm

If the only tool you have is a dutch oven, you will see every problem as cobbler.

INFP, always have been, always will be...
Harry Shnider, MCIP
Scout Councillor, 68th London
1st Gilwell, 05 (Colony); 07 (Pack)
twitter: harryshnider
http://www.68thscouts.ca
Team Clove Hitch -- Assemble!

dermanus

Post by dermanus » Tue May 10, 2011 11:11 am

INTJ here, and also kinda skeptical about the MB. It's a good idea, but can be over applied.

I've found the planning meetings are a good time to get to know the other leaders better. The challenge is often during the regular meetings the kids are occupying all our attention.

As for the broader section; we have the same silo issue. I've met our area commissioner and that's it outside of my section. I've only been around since December, but still...