CJ (Canadian Jamboree) 2017, Halifax NS

Scouting opportunities of national scope, or open to any group anywhere. Local planning belongs somewhere else.
Angus Bickerton
anti_spambot: 7

CJ (Canadian Jamboree) 2017, Halifax NS

Post by Angus Bickerton » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:27 am

Our Troop Leadership Team just started talking about this last week, so it's time to start planning. I thought I'd start a thread to discuss the issues, etc.

I went to the website, and there is not a lot of information, so I thought I'd start with a question.

My first issue is FOOD. One of the things that the past couple of CJs have been challenged by is food. The Jamborees I went to as a youth had a small grocery store, where the Quarter Master of your Patrol would go to buy the food each day, and then would bring it back to be cooked by the Patrol. The more recent jamborees, I hear tell, have done it more of a canteen style. A few of my Troop's Scouters speak with horror about CJ 2007 in Tamaracouta in that regard (the food being awful). I don't know about CJ 2013 in Sylvan Lake, what the system was.

The youth in our Troop like cooking a lot, and are getting pretty good at it, almost to the point that I would eat what they produce. That is a high bar. They do not want a cafeteria-style Jamboree, so it would be good to know what the CJ planners are doing in that regard. I suspect that if there is a cafeteria style of food delivery, there will be a number of single-burner stoves smuggled into camp along with contraband food, so that people can make themselves something decent to eat. Cooking for thousands of people at a time is a recipe for pretty bad food. Cooking for six at a time is something that we do at home every single day, and that our youth need to learn how to do, and which they like doing.

So, the question is, what is the proposal for food delivery at CJ 2017?
Angus Bickerton
Troop Scouter
Brockville Troop
1st Brockville Group Committee
1st Gilwell 2011 (Colony) 2013 (Pack)

There is no armour made that can withstand the truth - Karsa Orlong

Rick Gruchy

Re: CJ (Canadian Jamboree) 2017, Halifax NS

Post by Rick Gruchy » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:28 pm

Hi Angus,

I understand that at CJ'17 we will be going back to the grocery store model like we experienced as youth.

Hope that helps,

Rick

Angus Bickerton

Post by Angus Bickerton » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:05 pm

That's a huge help, Rick. Thanks.

BTW, I think I owe you some crests...
Angus Bickerton
Troop Scouter
Brockville Troop
1st Brockville Group Committee
1st Gilwell 2011 (Colony) 2013 (Pack)

There is no armour made that can withstand the truth - Karsa Orlong

Rick Gruchy

Post by Rick Gruchy » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:25 pm

Angus Bickerton wrote:BTW, I think I owe you some crests...
I propose we do it properly. We should meet up at CJ and complete our badge trade with a Scout Handshake. :D

Rick

keatmon

Post by keatmon » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:03 pm

Hi Angus,

As Rick mentioned, we will be using the grocery store model at CJ'17. The Food Services team will prepare a suggested menu for the week, but of course using the food available in the grocery store, your unit will be able to deviate from that! Once the suggested menu is ready we'll post it to the website!

Yours in Scouting,

Keegan Eatmon
Manager, Marketing and Public Relations
CJ'17 Nova Scotia