Paddling

Discussions about the 2012 Program Review
Rick Gruchy
anti_spambot: 7

Paddling

Post by Rick Gruchy » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:15 pm

We need your help to review the Paddling Adventure Skills proposal. please comment away if you have suggestions for improvements or if something is vague and unclear (please comment in the Google doc using the comment feature available.) Please remember this document is a draft for consideration, and using your feedback, the final version will be the best it possibly can be.

The Paddling Pathway was developed by a team of Scouters who were also highly skilled paddlers, certified paddling instructors and outdoor educators. This team is very excited to receive feedback on their work.

Over the coming few weeks we will continue posting the other adventure skills drafts for review and consideration. Feedback is welcomed and very much appreciated - as with your feedback we can have the best program possible!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RWS ... Zh9l0/edit

Buttercup

Re: Paddling

Post by Buttercup » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:44 pm

If I have my understanding right a level 1 would be more for beavers. Since the new program will connect all groups. From what I've seen of the level 1 on the canada path web site and this one my beavers will not be able to get anything, not even my white tails. I'm also a cub leader and I don't even think some of them would do the stuff. I'm all in for change but you talking about kids that have an attention span of about 15 minutes and your also talking about leaders that are volunteers and most of them don't have a lot of training.
I realize things have to be upgraded but not at the expense of loosing the basic principle of Scouting as set forth by Baden Powell. The changes that I am seeing are losing the basics. In my area I would not be able to find volunteers to be a leader with the new future program. I will probably not stay on as a leader once it is up and running and I think a lot of leaders will do the same.
If you look all over the world at the different Scouting badges they are all similar for the different age groups. Canada doesn't have beaver badges but UK does and they are workable with the age group. Same as USA. They aren't called beavers but I think they are tigers cubs.
I would love to look at the whole program to get a better idea of it as a whole but I know my boys would probably not continue once the change is in effect. I am extremely dedicated in Scouts and love being a part but these changes don't fit into the kids of these days.
This kids love all the badges right now and the cubs have chooses. But 9 badges even with different levels are going to seem like they do the same thing all the time.

norma

Post by norma » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:38 pm

Buttercup wrote:This kids love all the badges right now and the cubs have chooses. But 9 badges even with different levels are going to seem like they do the same thing all the time.
The Adventure Skill Awards are just a part of the new program. Like a thread that goes through from Beaver through to Rovers.

Each section will have their own badge program similar to how it is now. Except that Beavers are to actually have their own personal interest type badges and section badges that can only be earned by Beavers.

From what has been said, Beavers should be able to get the first stage of these staged badges, and some of the more advanced/skilled Beavers can likely get stage 2 for some and maybe even stage 3. But as the awards are supposed to encompass 5 yr to 26 yr, the higher end stages will be out of reach for a Beaver.

The first stage of the Paddling badge should be achievable by a 5-7 yr old.
Need to know about PDFs, know about boats (bow and stern), some water safety, being safe in a boat and gotten into a boat at least once for a short so they can paddle around in a canoe for an hour. Can all be done in a pool session where the Scouts (older youth) are practicing for a higher adventure.

Doug Reid

Post by Doug Reid » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:55 pm

Buttercup I would suggest that if you missed the Program Revitalization Roadshow in your Council, look for an online version in the new year. It will help guide you through the work of the teams and the recommendations that are being made.

The team has focused on how Scouting was developed and what BP envisioned, which is the development of the child/young person and the use of the Scout Method in what we do and why. This is fundamental to the work of the Revitalization Team. We have also studied many other counties programs to get a sense of what they are doing and changes they have put into place over the past 5-10 years. Besides Adventure Skills, which is the progressive badge system which automatically links the Sections, Cubs, Scouts, Venturers still have personal interest Badges. And we are now adding these for Beavers. The new programs have been designed to be age appropriate, challenging and fun :) For Cubs, more focus on the Jungle Book.

We have reviewed the scores of data that we have as an organization, the exit surveys of youth and parents, focus groups and our own youth survey that was done in 2012. Not to mention Impact2012, and ADVenture 2012. Youth are looking for fun and adventure and that is the focus of the work.

We need to focus not only on our pre-adolecent program but on growing and attracting young people to an adventure based, challenging and regarding outdoor program that focuses on their needs and desires.

As for Cubs and canoeing, these draft requirements have been developed by experts in this field. I can also tell you that having taken my Cubs canoeing over the past few months that these are achievable.
Doug Reid
Deputy National Commissioner - Program Services

Rick Gruchy

Post by Rick Gruchy » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:07 am

Thank you everyone for your feedback on the Outdoor Adventure Skill Pathways. The teams have been reviewing the comments and have been revising the drafts accordingly. Because of the revisions, these drafts are no longer current and we will be removing public access to these old drafts and you will not be able to see them. We will be saving these drafts and your thoughtful comments.

Over the coming months I hope that we will be posting new drafts of the Outdoor Adventure Skills through The Canadian Path website at www.scouts.ca .

Once again, thank your participation in helping to build our Outdoor Adventure Skills program.

Rick