Aquatic Adventure Skills

Discussions about the 2012 Program Review
norma
anti_spambot: 7

Re: Aquatic Adventure Skills

Post by norma » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:33 pm

As an Air Cadet the vast majority of Air Cadets do not go flying. There are many that join Air Cadets for other reasons than flying: Leadership, Citizenship, Physical Fitness.

A lot of the costs for Air Cadets is absorbed by the military. Uniforms are all supplied by the military, youth nor parents pay for any of it. The only thing that I paid for was the "metal thread" wings to wear on my tunique. A cloth badge was provided (as well as the pin for the dress shirt) but there was the option for us to buy a metal thread one that was more "special" so we bought those. Everything else was paid for us.

Of my squadron, there were 2 of us that actually learned to fly. Out of all of Ontario there are about 90 per year that get a spot on the Flying Scholarship Summer camp to learn to fly, plus a handful that did "well" but did not quite make it to the summer camp that their squadrons will arrange for them to take flying lessons at a local flying club. But that is out of thousands of Cadets. The year I had earned the scholarship was the first for my squadron for a number of years. They had a few try in the past but it was almost 10 years since the last successful candidate.

Our squadron did offer familiarization flights, but they only offered it to level 1 Cadets as the military had scaled back on how many flights were available. So to allow "everyone" to have a chance, they limited who was allowed to go. Since I joined at 16 (instead of 12) I was able to skip level 1 and thus never got a chance at a familiarization flight. There was a high turn over of level 1 Cadets (majority being 12 or 13) so many that joined missed their chance at going to the familiarization flight, as they also limit how many Cadets can go for the flights. There were only 2 offered a year. And only about 10 or so were allowed to attend. If you went to summer camp you may have had the opportunity for a familiarization flight, but getting to camp was a fight. Not everyone who wanted to go to camp actually got to go.

The only fundraising we did as Cadets was the "tags". Which is very similar to Apple Day. Stand around for a weekend asking if people would like to give a donation, and giving them a "tag" to hang on their coat so they don't get pestered by others.

The vast majority of my time as a Cadet was doing other things than flying. Actually a lot of what I did was very similar to the Scout program. Except it was free. No membership fee, no uniform fees. I do think that we had to pay for some camps, but minimal amounts more to get clear commitment than for covering costs. The higher levels did not pay for camps as they were the "committed" to have reached the high levels and were more equivalent to "leaders" in Scouting, even though they were still under 18. (More like Scout age paid for camp, and Venturer age didn't) But then the lower level Cadets stayed in buildings, and the higher level Cadets did solo survival camps that they were given minimal food and no equipment to spend the weekend in the woods. They were given 1 match to start their fire, but then it was their responsibility to maintain the fire for 2 days.

But I do agree, that the officers did make a big difference. We had once group of officers when I joined, and after a couple years a new group came in and the program changed drastically. Not that it was "better" or "worse" just things were done very differently. The one group of officers suited one group of Cadets, the new officers suited another breed of Cadets.

awallwork

Post by awallwork » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:52 pm

Ultimately, it's designed to be within reach of anyone who wants to go the path - the comments about Venturers/Rovers spending hundreds to thousands on video game systems / bikes / cameras are dead on - if someone wants to go to that level, they will find the funds (it's just a matter of funding priority and what they want to do.)

@Norma - I think you're dead on about differing groups, much like we have amazing Scout groups and rather lackluster ones, I'm pretty sure Cadets are in the same boat. They have some absolutely amazing groups that do amazing things, and they have groups that don't do much at all too. Consistency is something we both struggle at.
pccrovers.com | andrew.wallwork AT pccrovers (the one character) com | twitter @scoutscanada @awallwork

makr
anti_spambot: 0

Post by makr » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:19 am

I'm entirely off-topic, but I play video games and have friends who have made a career out of playing games and games-based content, so it's hard to see it getting trivialized.

An Xbox is probably one of the best investments I've ever had, More than a tent, more than a sleeping bag, more than a pair of hiking boots. (all three of them alone cost more than my Xbox, btw)

But you must be asking WHY? Makr, you're an active Rover who does all those things on facebook and twitter! I run a sleep schedule that is generally contrary to the rest of the population. There's not much you can do at 2-5am when you're not sleepy and you've done everything you need to do. It's story telling, social interaction, "brain popcorn" I like to call it, it's easy. Don't get me wrong, I have a great balance between playing in the outdoors and spending time inside, something that more kids need help with but it's not like I can go diving or even hiking on a moments notice. I just think that video games and technology gets a bad rap in these circles for keeping kids inside.

Keep in mind the parents generation right now, they are of the first ones to grow up playing Mario, Donkey Kong, Sonic and all those other iconic characters, and if they maintained playing games (average age of gamer is around 32, btw) they've likely shared that hobby with their children.

So yes, when there is a will there is a way, I still think that some adventure skills should be staggered and targeted to appropriate levels though to prevent by design kids being lied to. Because it does happen and to say otherwise is a fallacy.

Rick Gruchy

Post by Rick Gruchy » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:08 am

Thank you everyone for your feedback on the Outdoor Adventure Skill Pathways. The teams have been reviewing the comments and have been revising the drafts accordingly. Because of the revisions, these drafts are no longer current and we will be removing public access to these old drafts and you will not be able to see them. We will be saving these drafts and your thoughtful comments.

Over the coming months I hope that we will be posting new drafts of the Outdoor Adventure Skills through The Canadian Path website at www.scouts.ca .

Once again, thank your participation in helping to build our Outdoor Adventure Skills program.

Rick