Program Revitalization Website

Discussions about the 2012 Program Review
polarburr
anti_spambot: 7

Re: Program Revitalization Website

Post by polarburr » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:52 pm

Got to see some of the presentation at the Voyageur Conference today. Would love to see some of the section specific information posted on the website or this forum for review. Completely understandable that it is 'draft' and that we're in stage 3 of 6.

What I'm looking for is to start incorporating the skills/changes into my Troop, so starting to play with the activity cards and other items would be fun. I'm not asking for pilot materials, just looking to see some more details on the direction and then making it up as we go. Once things are refined, then we're already on a parallel road.
Peter Smith
Troop Scouter
8th Orleans - Troop A-Team

Clare

Post by Clare » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:23 am

Is the Jungle, the Grand Howl, leader's names etc. everything that the Cub program is based on now still going to be relevant with the new program?

Angus Bickerton

Post by Angus Bickerton » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:30 am

So far as I know (as a member of the Cub Scout Program Review Team), and in a word, yes, an emphatic yes.

The Review Team finished its initial plan, and submitted it "up the chain", and so far there is no word back. However, we have "re-emphasized" the Jungle Book, the Grand Howl (the real, Jungle Opening/Closing, not the shortened versions), and made all references in progress to wolves, wolf packs, etc.

For instance, the term "Six" is being replaced by "Lair". The Team also wanted to scrap Sixers and Seconds (as the terms do not relate to any Jungle mythology), and instead have a team leadership approach from all of the Grey Wolves, and the Grey Wolf Council. This latter change is still being debated up the chain. If there is to be a sixer-like position, it is likely the name will be changed to something more wolf pack related.

Each age of cub will also have a name. The working names right now are "Howler" for 8 year-olds, "Runner" for 9 year-olds, and "Grey Wolf" for 10 year-olds, regardless of time in the program (similar to the tail divisions in Beavers). "Grey Wolf" replaced "Hunter", as there was quite a negative reaction to the term "Hunter" from the PC crowd (never mind that real wolves actually hunt and kill in order to survive. Guess the Law of the Jungle only goes so far).

At our first meeting, this was the first decision we made, is to get back to the basics of the cub program, emphasize the Jungle Book and hte Kipling mythological framework, emphasize the outdoors and BPs teachings, and create opportunity for youth leadership. The Jungle Book is the perfect context for this.

Hope that answers your question, but the review process is not complete yet. There is a traveling review presentation this fall. Make sure to get to it when it gets to your Council.
Angus Bickerton
Troop Scouter
Brockville Troop
1st Brockville Group Committee
1st Gilwell 2011 (Colony) 2013 (Pack)

There is no armour made that can withstand the truth - Karsa Orlong

Sam Wallis

Post by Sam Wallis » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:28 pm

lamp forbid that we actualy use the term hunter. how about killer of game and eater of meat. someone propose that... all the rest sounds good and makes good sense
Truth is a perception, and a individual perception is their truth

andrewpaterson

Post by andrewpaterson » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:31 pm

Sam:

Let's just all agree to lighten up on the whole political correctness scene. Deciding what other folks should think and feel is just about the most disrespectful behaviour that one can engage.

FWIW... deer & moose meat is not only nutritionally better, it's also more environmentally sustainable producing less greenhouse gas per kg of food than most other things you'll find on a dinner plate. Hunting isn't really a bad thing unless you're a food corporation trying to make people dependent on you for the sake of your own economics. Just sayin' ... look at the whole chess board.
YIS
Andrew

You must show (them) by Your action that you consider (them to be) a responsible being. ... but in any case leave (them) alone and trust (them) to do (their) best. Trust should be the basis of all our moral training.
~ Lord Baden-Powell of Gilwell, Aids to Scoutmastership, 1920

Sam Wallis

Post by Sam Wallis » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:59 am

Andrew maybe my post was unclear. Sarcasm doesn't go well in text. I am against political correctness. While not a hunter myself, I am certainly not against hunting, and would be in favor of the term hunter for 10 year olds as opposed to grey wolf. Perhaps leaders could collectively be called grey wolves?

andrewpaterson

Post by andrewpaterson » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:54 pm

Hey Sam... I got the sarcasm. I was trying to propose a path forward & provide a balanced view. I'm good with "Hunters" and prefer it, although I also get why they might be "grey wolves" as they are getting ready to leave Cubs... That said the parallel to aging and death (= moving up to Troop) is undesirable.

As for adult volunteers, I think that "Scouter", being the contraction of Scout & Master (one who has a mastery of Scouting) is best for all of us.
YIS
Andrew

You must show (them) by Your action that you consider (them to be) a responsible being. ... but in any case leave (them) alone and trust (them) to do (their) best. Trust should be the basis of all our moral training.

norma

Post by norma » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:01 pm

It would, in a way, make more sense to have a third title, and have the "Grey Wolf's Award" in a similar manner that the Scout section has the "Chief Scout's Award". So the award is being presented by the "Grey Wolf" (leader of the pack) similar to the final award of the Scout section being an award presented by the "Chief Scout" (leader of Scouting).

Then too the "ranks" would mirror the rank awards that Scouts earn. Scouts have the Scout, Pioneer Scout, Voyageur Scout, Pathfinder Scout and then they work on their Chief Scout's Award. So if the Cubs had Tenderpad (which is not mentioned, but was the term previously for an un-invested Cub), Howler, Runner, (Another term) at which point they would work on their Grey Wolf's Award. Perhaps as the program is a year shorter than Scouts, it would not require another level.

Though the Scout program could be changing totally away from this time of progression (which I hope it is not) and then it would not matter to match the programs up so much.

It is hard to comment on things when they are in bits and pieces. Wish we had more information available for all the sections new directions.

Sam Wallis

Post by Sam Wallis » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:33 am

andrewpaterson wrote:Hey Sam... I got the sarcasm. I was trying to propose a path forward & provide a balanced view. I'm good with "Hunters" and prefer it, although I also get why they might be "grey wolves" as they are getting ready to leave Cubs... That said the parallel to aging and death (= moving up to Troop) is undesirable.

As for adult volunteers, I think that "Scouter", being the contraction of Scout & Master (one who has a mastery of Scouting) is best for all of us.

I didn't think of the parallel to aging and death and moving up to troop. Since the real scouting starts at the troop level we sure dont need anything that discourages kids from moving up more than they already are.

andrewpaterson

Post by andrewpaterson » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:41 pm

To be honest I only thought of the connection as I was typing that reply and I'm not entirely sure that the youth would see that connection.

I don't agree that "real Scouting" starts at Troop. I think that if you read "Aids to Scoutmastership" it's pretty clear that what BP was getting at is a program that develops self respect and self esteem through various behavioural techniques (e.g. modelling appropriate behaviour) and by presenting life skills challenges to the youth. Of course he doesn't use that kind of 21st century language to describe it but it's not hard to see. Given that, there is no age that an age appropriate implementation of the Scout Method & Practices can't target the objective. That said, under age 4 that is better done by the parents because of emotional & psychological development (differentiation between I & other). The picture starts changing again at age 18, until at age 25 the challenges of life are fully on the individual... or they need a professional level of help to deal with their developmental deficiencies.

It's not the "what" that's different. It's just the "how".
YIS
Andrew

Doug Reid

Post by Doug Reid » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:22 pm

Thanks for all those who came out to the Road Shows this Fall. Starting in September team members have been just about everywhere, and the couple of Councils left will be done in the New Year. There is a presentation this coming weekend in Battlefields, so if that's close to you, take it in :)

Later this month Section specific materials will be published on the Canadian Path website. The Journey document will provide the outlines from Beavers to Rovers and help Section Scouters see what has been proposed by the team.

This week we have started to do crowd sourcing again using Google docs on Adventure Skills..and linked here on Talk Scouts. Have a look at what these teams are working on, and provide our feedback.

Doug
Doug Reid
Deputy National Commissioner - Program Services

5th Weyburn Lise

Post by 5th Weyburn Lise » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:43 pm

As a Cub Leader and mother of 5 in the program, I want the books and do not want to rely solely on the electronic versions. We use the books when we go camping, and I highly doubt that parents want to risk the electronics when we are sitting on a log looking up items or checking off completed activities. Plus, we use our books in our survival and first aid teaching on using what you have at hand and being resourceful. Additionally, it is a keepsake. Electronic things may be wonderful and I do use them all the time, but some things just have to be tangible. Besides, in a power outage/in your tent/out at the cabin/when on your plane to the World Jamboree....electronic just doesn't cut it. I say to have both. :)