World Scout Environment Award - WSEP

Discussions about the 2012 Program Review
Doug Reid
anti_spambot: 7

World Scout Environment Award - WSEP

Post by Doug Reid » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:31 pm

It has been approximately 14 months since we launched the new World Scout Environment Award (WSEP). This program replaced the older World Conservation Awards and was a WOSM initiative to promote our environmental stewardship.

Please tell us how you find it, the educational activities and whether it’s having an impact on your program. Keep in mind that we are not looking for a comparison between WSEP and the old World Conservation Awards.

We are interested in knowing:

Are the activities challenging and are they interesting to youth?
Do you and the youth find it fairly straight forward to completion?
For volunteers, is it easy to implement within your programs?
What changes or recommendations would you make?

I have uploaded the overview documents from WOSM as a reference, outlining what are the goals.
Attachments
WSEP WSEB.pdf
(100.1 KiB) Downloaded 250 times
WSEP_Framework_en.pdf
(864 KiB) Downloaded 255 times
Doug Reid
Deputy National Commissioner - Program Services

kaa27th

Re: World Scout Environment Award - WSEP

Post by kaa27th » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:33 pm

None of our cubs have managed to achieve this badge within the last year. We have done pieces of it, and will be doing more pieces of it as we move through our 3yr program. It is definitely a difficult badge to achieve, but there is nothing wrong with that. I find the activities work in well with our program.
I wish the badge was "prettier", there is a huge amount of work involved, more than all the other awards, and the badge is tiny, so there is not as much incentive. The kids LOVED the old panda bear!

One issue is, that it is not yet in the cub book. The kids forget that it is an option.
YIS
Akela (formerly Kaa),
Peterborough, ON

Sam Wallis

Post by Sam Wallis » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:41 pm

first I have heard of it. probably missed an anouncement. is there a badge requirement sheet we can copy and give as a cub book suplement?
on the whole it looks like a good framework, some of the existing cub badges cover some of these things a bit, I forget which, the water cycle is covered, but there is more to do, which is a good thing.
Truth is a perception, and a individual perception is their truth

norma

Post by norma » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:49 pm

Sam Wallis wrote: is there a badge requirement sheet we can copy and give as a cub book suplement?
http://www.scouts.ca/sites/default/file ... ard-en.pdf

It is available on the SC page for Cub Scout Badge Requirements (http://www.scouts.ca/ca/cub-scouts-badge-requirements)

Scout Version:
http://www.scouts.ca/sites/default/file ... nts-en.pdf

Venturer and Rovers:
http://www.scouts.ca/sites/default/file ... ements.pdf

Sam Wallis

Post by Sam Wallis » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:41 pm

thats intense and looks like its well worth doing.

geordiescout

Post by geordiescout » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:25 am

there is too much book work I have been trying to get the youth to do the at home stuff since may with no one doing it Basicly if they can not do it at the hut is will not get done.

geordiescout

Post by geordiescout » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:26 am

there is too much book work I have been trying to get the youth to do the at home stuff since may with no one doing it Basicly if they can not do it at the hut is will not get done.

kaa27th

Post by kaa27th » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:35 am

Book work, really? The only bookwork I see in the whole badge is to record it? And at that it says "creativly" record your work, which means they could take a video or photos if they want or draw or craft something. All of the other requirements can be done as group and the majority of them outside.
YIS
Akela (formerly Kaa),
Peterborough, ON

Sam Wallis

Post by Sam Wallis » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:31 pm

other than the few requirements which are completing other badges most of this would be the ideal starter for a camp.

Angus Bickerton

Post by Angus Bickerton » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:13 pm

You could link this badge heavily into Tawny Star stuff, Artist badge, etc. I like doing that because instead of focusing on one program area, you balance them out better. If you do it at a camp, you are actually balancing 3 areas: Black, Green and Tawny, with WSEA as the focus of the activity.

I think it a big improvement on the WCA, which was very bookish.
Angus Bickerton
Troop Scouter
Brockville Troop
1st Brockville Group Committee
1st Gilwell 2011 (Colony) 2013 (Pack)

There is no armour made that can withstand the truth - Karsa Orlong

ScouterBruce

Post by ScouterBruce » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:21 am

Hi Doug,
I wanted to add another comment re the WSEA but since I haven't used TalkScouts yet, here it is. As simple as it sounds, I agree with others re the graphic design of the WSEA. I know, it is diverging from your original question but I have a sense that as adults we don't think about the basics of how the mind of a young person works. We get caught up in the outcomes and requirements and frameworks but forget about the basics of appealling to a youth's basic sense of "cool." Youth loved the panda and it was a great icon of environmental issues. Many of my Cubs were motivated to earn it simply because it looked really cool. Until someone recently told me that the new graphic is Antarctica, I had no idea what it was. Now I get the connection of the graphic to the environment but my brain is 49 years old, not 12 years old. How about the icon of a penguin? Most youth know where they live and it would be a small leap to then consider the fragility of the their habitat.

I know you are likely rolling your eyes at this point but let's stick to the basics. We have a badge that, in my opinion, is graphically confusing and not appealing, combined with requirements that are onerous, school-like, and disproportionate to other CSA requirments. Fix the basics and you're well on your way to making the WSEA a better program. We have a problem in our group and that is that the CSA is not being awarded to enough youth. Last year, 2 youth out of about 7 third-year Scouts achieved the award. To be fair some who did not complete were not even motivated to show up for Troop activities to earn some of the requirements. However of the 3 that had some degree of interest, the WSEA requirments were a barrier for them. The projects involved a lot of weekend work that was hard to make time for given our camping schedule and their other committments and the "homework" type requirements (research/ home repairs/ prepping presentations etc.) that had to be done on their own just didn't get done despite prompts, reminders, templates, ideas given etc. "Too much like school" was a frequent complaint. I quietly agreed with them. It is too much like school and our mission is to "contribute to the education of young people" using a Scouting method not a "school/ homework" framework. Let's always remember who our audience is and how their mind works.

I hope this information is useful and appreciate the opportunity to provide feedback.
Bruce Schollie

ScouterBruce

Post by ScouterBruce » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:24 am

I just spent 30 minutes typing a thoughtful reply on this thread and when I clicked submit, I got an error. Thanks a lot TalkScouts. This is a test.

ScouterBruce

Post by ScouterBruce » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:26 am

This is a test.

scouterguider

Post by scouterguider » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:03 pm

As a parent and grandparent of a couple of pretty motivated cubs - it is very intimidating. I did add it to the cub book myself, and my son has already earned the climate change badge (which also had to be added to the cub book...). I doubt our leaders are aware of its existance. They didn't know about the Climate Change Badge until my son earned it last year - and then most of the leaders are new this year....

My grandson is fairly motivated to earn the World Conservation Badge, as he loves Pandas.... but he hasn't yet with the amount of work involved. My son is very motivated to earn badges - but he has looked at the WSEP badge... and he basically said he isn't interested in earning that one.... there is so much to it. He is currently a 2nd year cub... and I hope that in his 3rd year, once he has the badges that are requirements for it, that it might get looked at by him.

But just looking at the badges required..... they have to earn...

Climate Change - which requires 2 badges from Recycling, Home Repair, Cyclist, or Family Helper
Recycling
Emergency Preparedness (Award or Badge - it seems to have changed what it is...) - which requires....
- Blue Star
- Family Safety
- First Aider

So, not including its own requirements, it requires 6 badges and a Star to be completed!

Of course - this now makes the Canadian Wilderness Award the hardest (assuming they can not do the World Conservation Award, and that WSEP is now required....) as it will require all of the above, plus the Black Star.....

(Mind you, my son now has Climate Change, Recycling, Family Safety, and is 1 req away from Blue Star.....)

norma

Post by norma » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:56 pm

ScouterBruce wrote: Many of my Cubs were motivated to earn it simply because it looked really cool. Until someone recently told me that the new graphic is Antarctica, I had no idea what it was. Now I get the connection of the graphic to the environment but my brain is 49 years old, not 12 years old. How about the icon of a penguin? Most youth know where they live and it would be a small leap to then consider the fragility of the their habitat.
World Scouts have a nice explanation of the design of the badge:
At the centre of the World Scout Environment Programme logo in Antarctica - the only collectively managed continent in the world and one of the most at rick from climate change. The other landforms create a "world" image - not showing any one particular continent or country, as Scouts are encouraged to look beyond their own borders and think of the world. The colours of blue, green and white are commonly associated with nature and the purple of World Scouting is blended with these. The Sun which brings life to our world is reflected in the water.
The three stages now consist of the same central world image, surrounded by a blue rope (Cub Scouts), green rope (Scouts) and purple rope (Rover Scouts). The rope colours correspond to the colours used in other parts of the World Scout Environment Badge to link it with the "environment" and "World Scouting" themes
When I first saw it I thought it was a "world" image, but it was very odd as we typically see an "American"-centric view of the globe.

One nice thing about the badge is that it is used by Scouts all around the world from different Scout organizations in different countries. It is a common badge that if you meet Scouts from somewhere else, they will have earned the same badge that you have earned.