PROGRAM REVIEW - Documents

Discussions about the 2012 Program Review
Doug Reid
anti_spambot: 7

PROGRAM REVIEW - Documents

Post by Doug Reid » Thu May 03, 2012 11:26 am

The attached files represents work done by your Program Review Team over the last number of months. These are focused on our Educational Objectives and our Spirituality statement. Each of these has a companion piece designed to narrow the focus and to support Scouters.

As the Board of Governors deals with policies, these were reviewed by the Board in January and approved at that time. You will notice however, "draft" may still appear on some of these, and that is because there are Section specific statements which may have slightly different wording required once we get a little further along with the review.

Both of these documents reaffirms our mission, the educational objectives of Scouting, supporting The Scout Method in why we do what we do. The Spirituality document is to help Scouters understand the role that this plays in our programs and in the development of the young person.

Doug
Attachments
Spirituality_Scouts Canada_V1.doc
(162.5 KiB) Downloaded 425 times
OUR EDUCATIONAL PRINCIPLES_V1.pdf
(260.77 KiB) Downloaded 352 times
Educational Ojectives - 2012.doc
(179 KiB) Downloaded 347 times
Doug Reid
Deputy National Commissioner - Program Services

Doug Reid

Re: PROGRAM REVIEW - Documents

Post by Doug Reid » Thu May 03, 2012 11:27 am

Companion handout for Spirituality statement.

Doug
Attachments
Spirituality in Scouts Canada_Handout_V2.doc
(186 KiB) Downloaded 333 times
Doug Reid

firedog_53

Post by firedog_53 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:50 pm

WOW!
That last one, sure is a lot of words!
Not quite sure what the whole point is, but it does look impressive.
Will that be put on a PPT for e-Learning or is it more as a reference point for discussion?

(Guess what I really wonder is do I have to know this? )

Good work, good effort. Will this be available as a pocket handbook?

FD
Last edited by firedog_53 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rick Gruchy

Post by Rick Gruchy » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:55 pm

Fire Dog,

Thanks for the comments!

No decisions have been made regarding final publication of any of these documents. At this time they are reference materials for discussion.

The Educational Proposal is the first step in the "Renewed Approach to Programming" as proposed in WOSM's RAP Toolbox. It is an attempt to analyse the "current needs and aspirations of young people" and present an "appropriate educational response, in accordance with the purpose, principles and method of the Movement." I suspect that this document will be revised numerous as it is far from perfect and situations change. For example, I have had some very recent discussions about incorporating pieces of the Child and Youth Safety initiative into the Education Proposal. So, while it may not be published in a handbook format, I hope that it will always be available in some format. I also expect that aspects of this document will eventually make their way into Scouter Handbooks and other Program Material.

I think it is also important to note that this stuff is going to have a shelf life. I do not believe that what we have written here will necessarily relevant to youth in 2022. When this Program Review process wraps up in a year or so, I will be advocating for Scouts Canada to set a date for the next one. Personally, I think that we should begin the process over again before the end of this Decade (but this is just my view).

Rick

makr
anti_spambot: 0

Post by makr » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:33 pm

Scouts Australia runs their program review on a 12 year cycle, basically a section is getting reviewed at any given time, right now they're implementing the changes to the Rover program there. Seems like a decent time frame without taking up massive amounts of resources at one time.

Rick Gruchy

Post by Rick Gruchy » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:14 pm

Mark,

It is my understanding that in the past Program Reviews were done on a cycle such as you have suggested. However, what occurred was section programs were modified and changed in isolation. Also, the primary work done by Program Review Teams in the past was to tinker with the badges. Further, two sections, Beaver Scouts and Rover Scouts, had been left out of the Program Reviews all together; this is notable as these are the two sections we are most concerned about today.

That said, there is merit to developing a review model as you are suggesting. The key will be to make sure it is done in some systematic way in the future. I'll leave that up to younger folks like yourself to deal with down the road, my focus is just trying to get it all back on the road. :)

LNTCamper

Post by LNTCamper » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:44 pm

Doug
I don't see any attached docs. As a new recruit for The Camping Skills review team it would be nice to have any docs that are available to catch up on what's been done so for. Thanks.
Cheers.

*EDIT* OK. Found them. Can't see them on my phone but they're there on my laptop. Thanks. Are there others detailing each of the Adventure Skills categories? i.e. Camping Skills, Scoutcraft, etc.? Those are the ones I'm looking for.
"Leave Only Footprints."

Rick Gruchy

Post by Rick Gruchy » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:00 am

LNTCamper,

We'll be sending out a number of documents to all the team members in the next couple of days.

Thanks for stepping up to help us with this exciting project.

Rick

Doug Reid

Post by Doug Reid » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:27 am

FAQ_ver_3.pdf
Program Revitalization FAQ's
(80.15 KiB) Downloaded 292 times
Good morning,

here are the current FAQ's which appear on the new Program Revitalization website. The plan will be to keep these updated on a regular basis so members can see our progress.

Doug
Doug Reid