Return to Made in Canada - Petition

Raves, rants, and comments about the 2011 uniform change
aaslett
anti_spambot: 7

Return to Made in Canada - Petition

Post by aaslett » Fri May 03, 2013 1:51 pm

Good discussions both pro & con in the previous topic.... here is my Petition....

https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/ ... e_petition
Alan Aslett
Peterborough, ON, Canada
alan@aslett.ca

RakelaK

Re: Return to Made in Canada - Petition

Post by RakelaK » Fri May 03, 2013 10:09 pm

I think the admin comment in the previous thread spoke volumes:

"Places like Bangladesh are going through the industrial revolution and doing so at a far faster rate than the western world, which took a couple of centuries to reach our current state of equilibrium. It is messy and ugly. People working in unsafe conditions are doing so because it is better than the alternatives. Should their working conditions be improved? Absolutely! Will they improve by Canadians cutting off commerce? Not a chance! Trade embargoes have certainly not improved working conditions for North Korea or Cuba. There is no simple answer to improving labour conditions in other countries. Those countries have to help themselves improve. The best we can do is provide them the resources they need to help themselves.

Making the rest of the world a better place does not start with wishing it didn't exist."

"assembled in Canada" still does not mean "made in Canada" and does not negate that anyone feeling good about themselves about trying to make a claim that their SC shirt is actually "made in Canada", should they suddenly become "assembled in Canada" shirts.... is just being a hypocrite unless they go through everything else in their closet and do a complete purge of their entire wardrobe.... right down to their socks. Unless you own your own cotton farm and an industrial loom... thinking this makes any difference is like thinking that a single plucked blade of grass in an overgrown lawn means that you've completed mowing that entire lawn.

Sam Wallis

Post by Sam Wallis » Fri May 03, 2013 10:19 pm

well said
Truth is a perception, and a individual perception is their truth

aaslett

Post by aaslett » Sat May 04, 2013 6:10 am

Sign or don't, each individual's choice, I am going to keep promoting it.

I have made four argument points that I consider very valid.

As I said to our Area Commissioner, I have been a Professional Engineer since 1980, and I have seen the Manufacturing Sector in Canada deliberately bled away. I believe with all my heart that we can make good products for a good price in this country for our needs.

We do not need to sell our souls to save a few bucks.
Alan Aslett
Peterborough, ON, Canada
alan@aslett.ca

aaslett

Post by aaslett » Fri May 10, 2013 6:50 am

I'm going to keep this petition up for 3 weeks to see what response it gets. As I said in the Facebook forum there are valid arguments for keeping the status quo, but here I am arguing for a change that I & others believe is better. Please pass along to other Scouts Canada Leaders so there is a good guage of where sentiment lies. This is intended to inspire engaged discussion, not dissent. Thanks!

https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/ ... e_petition
Alan Aslett
Peterborough, ON, Canada
alan@aslett.ca

aaslett

Post by aaslett » Mon May 27, 2013 11:40 am

I have closed the Petition, and sent a PDF summary to the Board of Governors saying...

"Please find attached (PDF) for your consideration the results of my now closed change.org petition asking Scouts Canada to buy uniforms from Canadian Manufacturers.....

https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/ ... ufacturers

It garnered 129 signatures. Not a huge number but significant considering the size of the Scouter online community, and with heartfelt sentiments. In hindsight this may have been better as a Poll, and with different wording, but it is what it is.

I would ask you to look at and consider the comments please."
Alan Aslett
Peterborough, ON, Canada
alan@aslett.ca

Chief Commissioner

Post by Chief Commissioner » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:40 pm

Original cc'd to Officers of the Board of Scouts Canada

Scouter Alan,

I would like to thank you for your note and for taking the initiative to engage Scouters in discussion on this important topic. I personally followed the conversation on Facebook and was pleased to see a broad-ranging dialogue among Scouters that addressed issues such as workers’ rights, global economics, and our duty as Scouters.

Scouts Canada made the decision to begin sourcing uniforms outside of Canada over ten years ago primarily as a means of maintaining a supply of quality uniforms at an affordable price. As members have told us over the years, uniform affordability directly impacts the accessibility of our programs – having a uniform is key to feeling like you belong at your weekly Beaver Scout, Cub Scout or Scout meeting. At the same time, we remained committed to Scouting values and took steps to ensure that our uniforms were sourced through suppliers who were committed to ethical manufacturing. That commitment continued when Scouts Canada embarked on the uniform revitalization project in 2010. While affordability was an important consideration, our partner’s commitment to socially responsible manufacturing practices was of paramount importance. Zero tolerance for child labour, audits to monitor manufacturing safety, and respect for workers’ rights were our minimum standards, and we searched for a company that was equally committed to these principles.

As you are likely aware, we also took the time to engage our members and to understand the level of priority they attached to specific uniform attributes. Members told us that they were looking for a uniform that was comfortable, high quality, versatile, modern, and affordable. Those criteria, combined with our insistence on ethical manufacturing, led us to a short list of designer/manufacturers.
Not only was Joe Fresh the only designer that was able to address the requirements of the full Scout uniform line, but they were also a potential partner that shared our commitment to ethical manufacturing in facilities where workers’ health, safety, and well-being was not only the standard but also verified through third party audits. Joe Fresh’s compliance audits are conducted by an international audit firm engaged by many of the world’s leading manufacturers. They have always held a zero-tolerance policy for forced labour and the highest standards for health, safety, and environmental compliance.

Canada and Scouts Canada are part of the global village, and we have to consider the impact of our actions within that context. It is true that the working conditions in other countries are often not the same as in Canada, and no one will disagree that the recent factory collapse in Bangladesh was extremely tragic. That said, if we are genuinely committed to helping those less fortunate than ourselves, we should seek to provide opportunities for the citizens of developing nations to improve their living and work standards. We believe that external support for ethical manufacturing can encourage better practices, and Joe Fresh shares these same values.

Withdrawing economic opportunities because other countries don’t meet 100% of our strictest standards will not encourage improvements in working conditions, nor is it consistent with our vision of contributing to the creation of a better world. Simply put, I believe that we have a clear role to play in the solution: we have an opportunity working closely with Joe Fresh to support the industry reforms that will bring about safer manufacturing worldwide.

While all past audits of factories producing Scouts Canada uniform products have been completed on schedule and with strong results, it is obvious that more must be done to ensure safe working conditions. Loblaw Corporation, Joe Fresh’s parent organization, has committed to specific actions to address and enhance worker safety following the recent tragedy, including:
• A relief fund for victims and their families to provide support now and in the future;
• A new standard at Loblaw, ensuring all branded products are made in facilities that respect local construction and building codes;
• A commitment to have Loblaw people on the ground verifying compliance and reporting directly to company management.

Joe Fresh has also committed to taking a leadership role in the industry and advocating for the inclusion of structural integrity considerations in audits going-forward. Loblaw recently signed the Accord on Fire and Building Safety which includes specific timelines and action steps aimed at protecting workers from fires, building collapses, and other accidents.
That said, as outlined in my recent message to members, Scouts Canada has been very clear in our expectation that Joe Fresh and Loblaw continue to provide evidence of their actions aimed at improving oversight in order to reduce the risk of similar tragic events occurring in the future. We are engaged with Joe Fresh and Loblaw Management to ensure that progress is made and that we are in a position to inform our members about the steps they are taking to pursue the highest standards for health, safety, and environmental compliance.

In closing, I would like to thank you for your ongoing commitment and passion for our Movement. I look forward to your support as we look to grow and share the Promise of Scouting with more youth in the years to come.

Yours in Scouting,

ANDREW PRICE
Chief Commissioner
Chair of the Board of Governors
Scouts Canada

aprice@scouts.ca
mobile 403-966-3273

Scouts is the start of something great.
It starts with Scouts.

ScouterMatt

Post by ScouterMatt » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:39 pm

This is all very typical, a very political post by our Chief commissioner talking about "ethical" and "safe" standards, but not actually advocating any real change.

in 2010 the worlds clothing and textile industry reached $2,560 TRILLION, that's an astrological number...

maintaining a supply of quality uniforms at an affordable price
This in its self is contradictory, though often reflected in our social conditioning. Your can't get Quality for Cheap. Currently our uniforms cost 33.00 for a leaders uniform & around 27.00 for a Youth uniform, when compared to other clothing costs, or uniform costs this is around par. Though the quality has been extremely diminished. I am on my 3rd Red shirt in 3 Years as it has either faded or developed holes in them, (I wear my uniform every meeting night, scouting event, scouters club & to 6-8 camps a year) and come the end of the scouting year, its no longer in an appropriate condition to wear to a formal ceremony. Quality for Cheap does not exist in our consumer society of rotating profit.
Zero tolerance for child labour, audits to monitor manufacturing safety, and respect for workers’ rights were our minimum standards, and we searched for a company that was equally committed to these principles.
Obviously we have more then Zero tolerance for these issues as Joe Fresh has violated this trust & commitment and we are still willing to put our faith in them. I believe ZERO tolerance means exactly that. We should be looking for a new manufacturer for the Scouts Canada Uniform, not staying committed to them after a brief apology and formation of a relief fund as so to save their public image. Is this the same ZERO tolerance practice we had for sex offenders in the 70's that go us into so much heat today?

I could go on and on about this, we only change when change is forced upon us. Should Joe Fresh and Loblaws have had a standard where all bradned products are made in facilities that respect local construction and building codes long before this tragic collapse? Should they have committed to having their people verifying and reporting directly to management? Why did they not sign an accord on fire and building safety prior to 2013?

All these things stink of a corporation who's only interest is a self interest and a worship to the dollar bill. Only when faced with controversy and a public image crisis does it make any effort to change or help those less fortunate. Profit will ALWAYS be the bottom line, not workers safety, not environmental practices, or ethical working conditions.

This is not only a problem for scouts Canada, but a problem as a whole. corruption, deceit and bribery exist in these countries but just as much they exist in our own.

I think the recent collapse of the mall in Elliot lake and the ongoing public inquiry into it sheds a lot of light into the behind the scenes going on's of this kind of thing. The bottom line always comes down to dollar figures, there will always be a third party auditor willing to fudge the books, an engineer looking to turn a blind eye, or a business owner trying to do what ever they can not to spend any money. we unfortunately live in a world run by greed and material possessions.

I digress, in closing I think what needs to happen is we need to solve our own problems in a way that truly unique to scouting. we must be wise in the use of our resources, Scouting age youth have to work on an environmental project, why not open the floor to them to come up with creative solutions to these problems, we are willing to create surviorman challenges and the such, but why not use the creativity and brain power of our youth to change the world.

ultimately we are sitting here trying fix a problem without looking at the root cause, and without global reform and change this will continue to be an issue. we must become more mindful as humans, consume less, care more, and live more sustainable lives within our country & world before we will ever eliminate these problems completely.
Manifest plainness, embrace simplicity.Reduce selfishness, have few desires.

dcowan

Post by dcowan » Mon May 26, 2014 10:50 am

That petition should be started up again. I found someone selling a green scout shirt from 30-40 yrs ago. The colour hasn't even faded. Neither has my scout shirt from that era.