service bars

Raves, rants, and comments about the 2011 uniform change
daveok
anti_spambot: 7

service bars

Post by daveok » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:55 pm

where do we wear service bars if our sleeves are rolled up all the time?

norma

Re: service bars

Post by norma » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:34 pm

I have seen Scouters that wear their shirts as short sleeves just move the badge up the sleeve to the approx position on the short sleeve as it should be on the long sleeve ... don't know that there is an 'official' short sleeve positioning of badges

Errol Feldman
anti_spambot: 0

Post by Errol Feldman » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:41 am

Is it necessary that all of your badges/service stripes be visible all of the time. When I roll my sleeves the stripes disappear untilI roll the sleeves down again. Seems simple to me; why complicate things :cry:
Errol Feldman
Commissioner
Scouts Canada - Europe
Just an Old Dinosaur

“Do, or do not. There is no try.”
Master Yoda

Rick Gruchy

Post by Rick Gruchy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:50 am

But Errol, I would guess that your service stripes would go three quarters of the way up your sleeve! ;)

But Seriously, I agree with Errol. Don't complicate things. What is the big deal if they are not visible when you roll up your sleeves. For the record, I always where my sleeves rolled up and up until now, I have never worn service stripes.

Sam Wallis

Post by Sam Wallis » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:52 am

so is the mandatory retirement age when they go past your collar?
Truth is a perception, and a individual perception is their truth

Rick Gruchy

Post by Rick Gruchy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:54 am

norma wrote:don't know that there is an 'official' short sleeve positioning of badges
As there is no "official" short sleeve shirt, I would guess there is not "official" short sleeve positioning of badges.

Errol Feldman
anti_spambot: 0

Post by Errol Feldman » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:05 am

Sam Wallis wrote:so is the mandatory retirement age when they go past your collar?
Was wondering about that too; Al Griffith's must go up to his collar and then back done the other sleeve :lol:

And then one Quebec (I think) Scouter who wears a gold one for each year of service; about 40-50 I think. (No, not Mike Reid ;) ;) )
Errol Feldman
Commissioner
Scouts Canada - Europe
Just an Old Dinosaur

“Do, or do not. There is no try.”
Master Yoda

Angus Bickerton

Post by Angus Bickerton » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:34 am

My complaint about the service bars is that they don't come in the multi-bar strip anymore, which was a lot easier to so on than those darned. single. bars. Also, the new ones aren't iron-on like everything else is, so you have to use pins, Badge Magic, or some other fastener to hold them in place for sewing. Doing that for each bloody bar is a royal pain in the behind (and the finger tips. OUCH!). I do like how the newer bars are a bit longer. They seem more elegant somehow, but I really miss the multi-bar strip.

I'm over ten years anyway, so I'm not bothering adding any of the silver bars anymore. One new bar every five years isn't so bad, but for the youth or new leaders, those multiple silver bars are awful, so a lot of them simply won't bother. They should be made easier to put on, somehow.
Angus Bickerton
Troop Scouter
Brockville Troop
1st Brockville Group Committee
1st Gilwell 2011 (Colony) 2013 (Pack)

There is no armour made that can withstand the truth - Karsa Orlong