Agency Badges and Awards

Raves, rants, and comments about the 2011 uniform change
SteveMatheson
anti_spambot: 7

Agency Badges and Awards

Post by SteveMatheson » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:36 am

Agency Awards used to go on the sash (http://scouter.wdfiles.com/local--files ... ptions.pdf).

Where do they go now?

http://www.scouts.ca/uniform/pdfs/insig ... t-2012.pdf

I can't imagine that we have decided to no longer recognize agency badges at the Troop level. The above badge placement does show them for Venture Scouts and above (on the bottom of the right sleeve). Since Troop members can earn agency awards while earning Troop level badges (e.g. in our Troop's case, Saint John's Ambulance Standard First Aid), they must be able to display them. Since most of our final year Scouts are sporting sashes, we can't fairly have them display these awards and not those with the new uniforms.

(Yes, I know there is a "real estate" issue with the new uniforms. A crowded uniform is a sign of individual success, not a design failure!)

If anyone can point to an "official answer" on this, I can update the graphic on the wiki site. http://wiki.scouts.ca/en/Uniform_Insignia_Placement
Steve Matheson
Group Commissioner, 3rd Eastern Passage
Nova Scotia

norma

Re: Agency Badges and Awards

Post by norma » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:30 pm

I remember there was a discussion on Facebook about the same thing. They had earned their First Aid challenge badge by taking the St John Ambulance First Aid course and the Scouter was trying to tell the Scouts where to put the badge.

In the end there was no "official" ruling regarding the badge. Most took it that likely the assumption was that since they have the First Aid Challenge badge on their shirt, there was seen to be no need to also wear "another" badge saying the same thing due to "real estate". Much like the challenge cords were removed because they have their badges on their arm already.

But the leaders in the discussion came to the conclusion that it would end up at the same place as the Vents/Rovers/Leaders wear theirs (bottom of right sleeve) though the Year Round Camper badges are at the cuff.

SteveMatheson

Post by SteveMatheson » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:01 am

Thanks for that Norma. Sounds like that was an oversight. (It happens!)

I FIRMLY believe that Scouts should display agency badges. It is, for many, their first experience with earning something at the same recognized level as adults. This needs to be recognized, even celebrated. The wee badge the same size as the collectors badge, etc. is NOT sufficient for this purpose. (Sure, we know it's that same thing... but others don't.)

I will have my green-shirted Scout put it beside the year-round crests, which will be a little crowded. Or perhaps he can relocate a few of his challenge badges to center it.

(Perhaps, if uniform tweaks are in the future, year-round camping can go on the left arm between WESA, 2007 and service bars and links. Just a thought for the future.)
Steve Matheson
Group Commissioner, 3rd Eastern Passage
Nova Scotia

Angus Bickerton

Post by Angus Bickerton » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:26 am

norma wrote:I remember there was a discussion on Facebook about the same thing. They had earned their First Aid challenge badge by taking the St John Ambulance First Aid course and the Scouter was trying to tell the Scouts where to put the badge.

In the end there was no "official" ruling regarding the badge. Most took it that likely the assumption was that since they have the First Aid Challenge badge on their shirt, there was seen to be no need to also wear "another" badge saying the same thing due to "real estate". Much like the challenge cords were removed because they have their badges on their arm already.

But the leaders in the discussion came to the conclusion that it would end up at the same place as the Vents/Rovers/Leaders wear theirs (bottom of right sleeve) though the Year Round Camper badges are at the cuff.
Our Troop still uses the lanyards, even though they are all in green. They wear them in the same way that those who have earned their Wood Badge II Gilwell beads: woven around the necker. When done properly, it looks really sharp. Actually, it can be made into a knot activity (get the cording from any fabric store. cheaper than SC lanyards), teaching the youth how to make a friendship knot in the lanyard. Just had that idea, actually!
Angus Bickerton
Troop Scouter
Brockville Troop
1st Brockville Group Committee
1st Gilwell 2011 (Colony) 2013 (Pack)

There is no armour made that can withstand the truth - Karsa Orlong