What Necker do we Wear at International Events?

Raves, rants, and comments about the 2011 uniform change
sconstable
anti_spambot: 7

What Necker do we Wear at International Events?

Post by sconstable » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:19 am

As far as I know with the old uniforms, the necker to wear to international events was the either tan or red neckers that had the maple leaf on the point. The Scout Shop carried these and now I can't seem to find them listed in the online inventory, making me believe that they have been discontinued. Now it is my understanding that the new national neckers are blue with a yellow border, like the ones on the worn in the pictures on the World Moot 2013 website.

Can anyone confirm this?
10th Coquitlam Rovers
6th West Whalley Crew

scouterguider

Re: What Necker do we Wear at International Events?

Post by scouterguider » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:22 am

Well, the national neckerchief with the tan uniforms was dark blue with a gold maple leaf....

The red neckerchief and the tan neckerchief was the new national ones when the new uniform came out this year.

I know this doesn't answer your question.....

Jim Buckland

Post by Jim Buckland » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:27 am

Historically an International Canadian Scouting Contingent neckerchief was supplied to Canadian Scouting Youth and their Leaders to wear at International Scouting events. Hopefully this Canadian Scouting tradition will continue with the newly designed Joe Fresh uniforms.

Jim Buckland

Post by Jim Buckland » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:57 am

The National Neckerchief coloured blue with the yellow Maple Leaf is currently worn as a Group neckerchief of the 1st Geilenkirchen Canadian Scout Group and is worn by them at their Geilenkirchen NATO AWACS Base in Geilenkirchen , Germany.When Canadian Scouting Youth and Leaders attended District or Area events in United States from Canada or when Canadian Scouting Youth and their Leaders attended International events from Canadian Military Bases in Germany prior to 1994 they like 1Gk above continue to wear the neckerchief of their Scouting Group as they represent their Canadian Scout Group and are not a Contingent of Canadian Scouters and Youth representing Canada. Canadian Scouting Leaders have in the past and hopefully will continue to wear in the future their Gilwell neckerchief and beads at Gilwell events outside of Canada.

Angus Bickerton

Post by Angus Bickerton » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:54 am

This is a bit dated, but was accurate for its time in 1996:

http://scoutdocs.ca/Documents/Choosing_your_Necker.php

Be nice to have this updated, and to have a new part added to B.P. & P. 9000 to deal with neckers.

Is there still a Scouts Canada international necker, i.e. red with a gold maple leaf at its point?
Angus Bickerton
Troop Scouter
Brockville Troop
1st Brockville Group Committee
1st Gilwell 2011 (Colony) 2013 (Pack)

There is no armour made that can withstand the truth - Karsa Orlong

Jim Buckland

Post by Jim Buckland » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:32 am

Thank you Angus for linking Waterloo Ontario Scouter Liam Moreland's 1996 Neckerchief Guide to this Scouting Forum. Hopefuly Liam will update his Neckerchief Guide and continue to provide us with his sage advice.A red neckerchief with a yellow maple leaf was worn as you described by Venture and Rover Scouts of CFB Lahr , in Germany when they went to out of Germany events ie Kenya and Korea aound 1990. The CFB Lahr Venture and Rover Scout CFE Group's neckerchief from 1990 until closeing in 1994 was also red in colour but did not have a yellow Maple Leaf at the apex. Hopefully after this November Scouts Canada Annual General Meeting BP&P will be updated with International Event uniform information.

Angus Bickerton

Post by Angus Bickerton » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:33 am

Just found this page at the scoutshop.ca

http://www.scoutshop.ca/eSolution/catal ... num_cols=3

Red necker, with a white maple leaf at the apex, in long and regular sizes. Also the tan necker (with red maple leaf).
Angus Bickerton
Troop Scouter
Brockville Troop
1st Brockville Group Committee
1st Gilwell 2011 (Colony) 2013 (Pack)

There is no armour made that can withstand the truth - Karsa Orlong

norma

Post by norma » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:00 pm

Angus Bickerton wrote:Red necker, with a white maple leaf at the apex, in long and regular sizes. Also the tan necker (with red maple leaf).
aren't these the new neckers for the new uniform?
the red ones for the cubs, scouts, venturers
and the tan one for rovers, leaders (because the red necker on a red shirt doesnt show so well i guess)

i heard in the past when there was the blue with gold necker it was the 'national' necker for when doing events within canada and there was another necker that was red with the gold maple leaf for international activities, and you had to get it special from headquarters when you were signed up for a international event as it was
sconstable wrote: Now it is my understanding that the new national neckers are blue with a yellow border, like the ones on the worn in the pictures on the World Moot 2013 website.
this necker is the necker for l'association des scoutes du canada ... the uniform shown on the rover moot site is for the 'pionniers' which is 14-17 yrs who cannot even attend the event

sconstable

Post by sconstable » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:54 am

Looks like everyone is right, this is the answer I got from Jessica, "Your group necker, the event necker, a contingent necker, or the red/tan national necker".
10th Coquitlam Rovers
6th West Whalley Crew

Robert D White
anti_spambot: 0

Post by Robert D White » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:53 pm

Don't forget that the Gilwell Necker is appropriate wear in any circumstance.
Robert White
Group Commissioner, 1st Guelph Firefighter Venturers/1st Guelph Rovers
Chaplain, Wellington Area
I'm an ISTJ

Errol Feldman
anti_spambot: 0

Post by Errol Feldman » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:14 am

Jim Buckland wrote:The National Neckerchief coloured blue with the yellow Maple Leaf is currently worn as a Group neckerchief of the 1st Geilenkirchen Canadian Scout Group and is worn by them at their Geilenkirchen NATO AWACS Base in Geilenkirchen , Germany.When Canadian Scouting Youth and Leaders attended District or Area events in United States from Canada or when Canadian Scouting Youth and their Leaders attended International events from Canadian Military Bases in Germany prior to 1994 they like 1Gk above continue to wear the neckerchief of their Scouting Group as they represent their Canadian Scout Group and are not a Contingent of Canadian Scouters and Youth representing Canada. Canadian Scouting Leaders have in the past and hopefully will continue to wear in the future their Gilwell neckerchief and beads at Gilwell events outside of Canada.
Sorry Jim, that hasn't been true for about 3 years now. We have our own Neckie
New_Necker.jpg
Errol Feldman
Commissioner
Scouts Canada - Europe
Just an Old Dinosaur

“Do, or do not. There is no try.”
Master Yoda