Uniform Hats

Raves, rants, and comments about the 2011 uniform change
LoyalistMang
anti_spambot: 7

Re: Uniform Hats

Post by LoyalistMang » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:26 pm

jkeess wrote:Berets are not practical and very easily look silly - much like wannabe commandos.

Scouts are civilians, and the proper civilian protocol is to do ceremonies like the raising of the flag and nation anthem is to uncover one's head. After which, a ball cap, or any practical hat of your choosing, does just fine.
There's no reason why different sections couldn't have different hats. Ball caps are great for Cubs and younger, but I always though the berets looked sharp on Scouts and older. With one caveat: they MUST be worn properly.
Gord Campbell
Akela, 1st Sydenham Pack
Loyalist Area DAC - Communications

jkeess

Post by jkeess » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:40 pm

You're missing the point. If you want to do is as a crew, no-one is stopping you, but they generally look really, really silly unless they're done properly and worn with appropriate clothing.

Rovers should be out doing stuff, and doing stuff usually implies practical headwear.

firedog_53

Post by firedog_53 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:46 pm

Since we are a uniform wearing organization, we really should have a uniform protocol that is written down and consistent. Just so we all do and look the same, especially at events such as Remembrance Day.
just my thoughts,
FD

GlennDay

Post by GlennDay » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:11 pm

I'm a big fan of tilly hats myself. I know the old one was a little floppy, but (if you haven't seen it) they released a new tilly (safari) hat with our uniform update that has a wider and stiffer brim, I like it! Some of my Cubs brought their safari hats to the Newfoundland and Labrador Provincial Jamboree this summer and it saved them from some nasty exposure.

As for the Winter months: nothing better than a nice SC toque! :D

Picking one piece of headgear and calling it "uniform" is tough because of our climate. If we lived in an equatorial Country it would be easy to go with stetsons or something similar. I think both the safari hat and toque are very practical, and they don't look too shabby... they have earned the seal of approval in my Group anyway! They both stick to our Scouting values as well, neither one is flashy and worn only because it makes us look better in uniform. Like our necker, they actually serve a purpose and you don't have to go out of your way to take care of them.

Glenn
Glenn Day
Assistant National Youth Commissioner - East
e: gday@scouts.ca
t: @GlennJDay

Scouter James J

Post by Scouter James J » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:26 pm

I love and hate the idea of offical head gear. As a cub I wore the beannie, a scout both the ball cap and a beret and as a leader I sometimes wear an old school Scouts Canada Stetson. Most youth love the idea of head gear but, keeping track of it is a little nuts. I feel it that we should have something but what that is maybe the 1 million dollar question.
Scout Master
Crossroads 36 Scout troup
Calgary Ab
31 years with Crossroads

Angus Bickerton

Post by Angus Bickerton » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:34 am

Finding headgear that would "fit" the image of Scouting in Canada is the biggest problem.

The beret is too military, and does not provide the sun protection that headgear should.

The stetson is old-school, and horribly expensive to manufacture. It is the classic image of scouting, but youth don't appreciate that. They don't go to the Soda Shoppe and the Sock Hop anymore, either.

Baseball caps are 'in', but they have a singular problem: the neck and ears are exposed to UV rays.

The SC sun hats from a few years ago just end up looking sloppy, in my view.

The current military-style ball caps are just plain ugly. They are reminiscent of 1960's communist China.

What about a sharp-looking ball cap (and I mean that, it's got to have a bit of pizazz) that has a lightweight technical fabric flap that could be lowered on sunny days? That's the best I can come up with.
Angus Bickerton
Troop Scouter
Brockville Troop
1st Brockville Group Committee
1st Gilwell 2011 (Colony) 2013 (Pack)

There is no armour made that can withstand the truth - Karsa Orlong

gordtulloch

Post by gordtulloch » Wed May 28, 2014 9:48 am

Anyone know a good place to get a Stetson (that isn't a $200 RCMP Stetson?) for kids? There's costume stetsons but they have "dimples" in the wrong places (ie like US rangers)

YIS - Gord, Troop Scouter 1st Southdale Winnipeg
----

Angus Bickerton

Post by Angus Bickerton » Wed May 28, 2014 11:12 am

Have attempted to find them, but they are not to be found. You can get hats made, but they are expensive (about $100 per).

I have found myself a Scouter's Campaign hat with a Scoutmaster's green plume (alas, I am an Ass't Scoutmaster (or Scout Counselor, by today's terminology, and need a red plume), but they are really hard to find. Best place so far is kijiji, but they are few and far between.
Angus Bickerton
Troop Scouter
Brockville Troop
1st Brockville Group Committee
1st Gilwell 2011 (Colony) 2013 (Pack)

There is no armour made that can withstand the truth - Karsa Orlong

gordtulloch

Post by gordtulloch » Wed May 28, 2014 2:24 pm

Lots of plumes on eBay! And lots of Scouters Campaign Hats as well. Interestingly there's a local sale on Kijiji for a Scouters Hat but it's too small. Will keep looking!

----

Jody

Post by Jody » Thu May 29, 2014 10:39 am

Campaign hats:

http://shop.scouts.org.uk/p-3274-baden- ... khaki.aspx

Plumes in all colours can be had from the Hong Kong Scout Shop:

http://www.hkscoutshop.org.hk/index.php ... 46&lang=en
B. Jody Lotzkar
Founder
1st Mountaineer Scouts, West Vancouver, B.C.

Email.......... scouterjody [at] gmail [dot] com
Facebook..... http://www.facebook.com/MountaineerScouts
Instagram... http://www.instagram.com/1stMountaineers
Web............ http://www.MountaineerScouts.com
MCAMP........ http://www.MountaineeringCamp.com

Oh, and if anyone asks: Yes....this IS supposed to scare your mother!

norma

Post by norma » Thu May 29, 2014 9:41 pm

The BBS and BGS still use the stetsons (and also the Cub hats)
they don't have prices, but have said they are 'reasonable' compared to the one from the Scout Shop in the UK

http://www.bbsandbgs.org.uk/contactus.php

Hawkeye3

Post by Hawkeye3 » Fri May 30, 2014 10:31 pm

I agree, those hats look awesome. Having never worn one, how well do they work in heat, humidity, wind, etc?

I know that my Tilley hat keeps my head somewhat cool and keeps the sun off my face / neck.

Perhaps we should consider two official headwear items: A brimmed hat and a toque.
Tom

Errol Feldman
anti_spambot: 0

Post by Errol Feldman » Sat May 31, 2014 7:14 am

BPS Stetsons are very affordable.
Suggest you contact Ron Long: ron_long03@yahoo.com
Usually they will sell the Stetsons to anyone who asks.
Errol Feldman
Commissioner
Scouts Canada - Europe
Just an Old Dinosaur

“Do, or do not. There is no try.”
Master Yoda