New Joe Fresh Uniforms Really Disapointing

Raves, rants, and comments about the 2011 uniform change
Angus Bickerton
anti_spambot: 7

Re: New Joe Fresh Uniforms Really Disapointing

Post by Angus Bickerton » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:28 pm

We actually recommend against the SC pants, and direct our parents to purchase navy cargo pants for cubs, as they are better to use (being cargo pants). For scouts, we suggest tan cargo pants, or better still, lightweight non-cotton pants. They can get as good or better pants than the Joe Fresh at Old Navy or Wal Mart, and with the cargo pockets (which, to me, are essential for outdoor/camping activities). They can also get navy or tan shorts (but no knee socks or garters!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I had them back in 1979. Wore them once, and the humiliation of that was enough. Plus your troop mates keep snapping the garters on you. Ouch!)
Angus Bickerton
Troop Scouter
Brockville Troop
1st Brockville Group Committee
1st Gilwell 2011 (Colony) 2013 (Pack)

There is no armour made that can withstand the truth - Karsa Orlong

bcbagheera

Post by bcbagheera » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:45 pm

firedog_53, Scouts Canada does not have a uniform, they have a line of clothing...

norma

Post by norma » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:44 pm

whuggard wrote:All National photos of the new Cub uniform being worn are untucked.
The boys have both shirts untucked ... the girls have the 'formal' shirt untucked and the tshirt tucked in ....

'formal'
http://www.scouts.ca/uniform/uniform-img/grace5.png

't-shirt'
http://www.scouts.ca/uniform/uniform-img/grace3.png
http://www.scouts.ca/uniform/uniform-img/grace4.png

After Scouts all the shirts are being shown tucked in ... except one from Venturers where they are actually wearing blue jeans and not the uniform pants

http://www.scouts.ca/uniform/uniform-img/lotus.png

jkeess

Post by jkeess » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:38 pm

The scouting uniform was originally designed off of military field uniforms and hunting/exploring ensembles because it was supposed to be practical above all. It should not be an added burden on meeting nights or camps. Good, solid, not too fancy clothes you don't mind getting dirty, preferably made out of a technical, quick-drying fabric.

Would you wear it hiking on a drizzly day? No? Not an appropriate option.

Ironhorse77

Post by Ironhorse77 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:13 pm

My cubs wear their grey shirts untucked, as per what I perceive the rule to be.

A lot of them look sloppy though, since the shirts don't fit well and parents are buying a shirt to last 2-3 years to avoid badge re-sewing (at least the sash could be moved from one shirt to the next). The amount of badges on the grey uniform is turning out to be a struggle for some of the kids.

I still wish they had just updated/refreshed the formal uniform a bit for Cubs, and come up with better activity shirts (which we do have now). The grey shirts look like an awkward cross between "uniform" and activity shirt, and are not really a proper uniform in my opinion.

The Scouts got a decent deal out it with their greens, likely because they represent a field uniform.

I'm glad I can still wear my tan leader's shirts (both long sleeve and short sleeve), as I feel they more appropriately reflect the original scouting uniforms.
Yours in Scouting,

Akela, 77th Riverbend Cub Pack
Ringtail, 77th Riverbend Beaver Colony

firedog_53

Post by firedog_53 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:21 pm

One has to think that these new uniforms do represent a fresh idea or twist on the old uniforms. Uniforms we wore back before "tan shirt" days. Cubs in Jerseys and Scouts in Green field shirts.

Leaders, well, at least you can spot who is in charge right away! No confusing the larger youth for a smaller/young leader.

The rants about the "red" are dropping off, so we must becoming use to the colour..

FD

bcbagheera

Post by bcbagheera » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:41 pm

I do not like these new uniforms, I know I have said that many times. That being said, I was not against a new uniform. What I would really like is the reasoning the selection people used for the changes that were made. If I could understand them, maybe I could be more accepting.

scouterguider

Post by scouterguider » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:04 pm

Ironhorse77 wrote:My cubs wear their grey shirts untucked, as per what I perceive the rule to be.

A lot of them look sloppy though, since the shirts don't fit well and parents are buying a shirt to last 2-3 years to avoid badge re-sewing
When the tan uniforms first came in - kids were coming in with HUGE uniforms for them.... I think the parents were hoping to have the shirt last for 5 or 6 years!

Yes, I bought my son's shirt a bit too large, as I do hope it will last his 3 years. I didn't buy it super-huge though. We do need to roll up his sleeves a bit.

Cubs and Scouts now look like Cubs and Scouts did when I was a kid.... so I'm good with that!

norma

Post by norma » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:43 pm

Ironhorse77 wrote:My cubs wear their grey shirts untucked, as per what I perceive the rule to be.
The 'rule' is to wear it as you see fit, tucked or untucked. Though the Cub Uniform shirt does have the Canadian flag at the bottom, and is 'cut' straight across as shirts designed for being untucked are cut.
scouterguider wrote:Cubs and Scouts now look like Cubs and Scouts did when I was a kid.... so I'm good with that!
Cubs and Scout and Venturers look like Cubs ... Scouts ... and Venturers ... not just a group all together that you can't distinguish. Was at a parade and saw 2 Scouts in their green shirts. If they had of been in tan I would have assumed they were Cubs as they were very small.

The only thing that causes confusion now is the Rovers. Partly because most don't know there is the 'Rover Scout' strip to be added to their shirts (and even if they do how likely are they to actually sew it on is another issue)
But with a group of adults, it is tricky to tell if they are Rovers or Scouters, or both. Though some of the Rovers are sewing on their badges which makes their shirt more 'decorated' than a Scouters shirt.

LoyalistMang

Post by LoyalistMang » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:01 am

norma wrote:The only thing that causes confusion now is the Rovers. Partly because most don't know there is the 'Rover Scout' strip to be added to their shirts (and even if they do how likely are they to actually sew it on is another issue)
But with a group of adults, it is tricky to tell if they are Rovers or Scouters, or both. Though some of the Rovers are sewing on their badges which makes their shirt more 'decorated' than a Scouters shirt.
That's my only lingering complaint: Scouters should be *easy* to spot in a group of youth. Unless something is changed, I can't see that problem magically going away. I'll always be easy to find, though: I have two more tan shirts still in the packaging to keep me in uniforms for a long while.
Gord Campbell
Akela, 1st Sydenham Pack
Loyalist Area DAC - Communications

Jody

Post by Jody » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:35 am

Scouters should be *easy* to spot in a group of youth
Totally agree.
I have two more tan shirts still in the packaging to keep me in uniforms for a long while.
Ditto!

I bought a case of uniforms for the Scouts and spares for the leaders when SC chopped the prices on them after the new shirts were released. Just this week, a fairy godmother dropped a load of khaki shirts (some used, some new) on my door step. Thanks fairy godmother! It's nice to have the used shirts on hand for families that want to keep the cost of joining down.
B. Jody Lotzkar
Founder
1st Mountaineer Scouts, West Vancouver, B.C.

Email.......... scouterjody [at] gmail [dot] com
Facebook..... http://www.facebook.com/MountaineerScouts
Instagram... http://www.instagram.com/1stMountaineers
Web............ http://www.MountaineerScouts.com
MCAMP........ http://www.MountaineeringCamp.com

Oh, and if anyone asks: Yes....this IS supposed to scare your mother!

Ironhorse77

Post by Ironhorse77 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:12 pm

scouterguider wrote:

A lot of them look sloppy though, since the shirts don't fit well and parents are buying a shirt to last 2-3 years to avoid badge re-sewing
When the tan uniforms first came in - kids were coming in with HUGE uniforms for them.... I think the parents were hoping to have the shirt last for 5 or 6 years!

Yes, I bought my son's shirt a bit too large, as I do hope it will last his 3 years. I didn't buy it super-huge though. We do need to roll up his sleeves a bit.
At least with the tan shirts, you could buy for 2 years at a time, and only needed to replace the shirt and redo 3 badges (group, area and council). The sash was transferable (most people bought the large sash, which did not really look out of place).
Yours in Scouting,

Ironhorse77

Post by Ironhorse77 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:14 pm

bcbagheera wrote:I do not like these new uniforms, I know I have said that many times. That being said, I was not against a new uniform. What I would really like is the reasoning the selection people used for the changes that were made. If I could understand them, maybe I could be more accepting.
My sentiments exactly. I believe it was change for the sake of change and looking "fashionable", which they failed at IMHO.
Yours in Scouting,

kaa27th

Post by kaa27th » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:22 am

Cubs love the new uniforms, so while they had to grow on me, it's what the youth like that counts!
YIS
Akela (formerly Kaa),
Peterborough, ON

Angus Bickerton

Post by Angus Bickerton » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:49 pm

Our Scout Troop is fully decked out in the new greens. They love them, and don't object to wearing them at all. They wear them publicly without complaint.

In contrast, our Scout Troop hated the tans. They refused to wear them, instead wearing those silly "circa 1907" shirts. The change to the new uniform has made a wholesale change to the visibility of our sections. You guys might hate them, but the youth don't, and they are for the most part a return to the uniforms of our own times as youth in scouting.
Angus Bickerton
Troop Scouter
Brockville Troop

bcbagheera

Post by bcbagheera » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:55 pm

And they might have liked other options just as much, if they had been produced instead of these. What are you doing with the 3rd year Scout that outgrows his shirt with 6 months to go til they move up to Venturers?

Angus Bickerton

Post by Angus Bickerton » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 pm

I'm kind of thinking that the ship has sailed. No one at National is going to agree to change the uniforms again, except for minor tweaks, for another generation. The only likely change in the foreseeable future is a change in supplier. Also, there is not enough opposition from the youth. The ones I am in contact with love the new uniforms. They are more comfortable and they look better, according to them.

And the Scout who grows? Roll up the sleeves, untuck the shirt, and let him keep the top button open. As soon as he earns his CSA, move him to Vents, and then at the CSA presentation ceremony with the L-G, he'll be in blue anyway. It worked for the last generation of uniforms (green to tan, in that case) when I was a Scout.

Not only is this dead horse well and truly beaten, the flesh is beginning to fall off the carcass. :roll: Whether you like the new uniforms (I do) or preferred the old (I didn't (too reminiscent of fascist brown shirts, imo)), the issue has been determined. Time to give it a decent burial. ;)
Angus Bickerton
Troop Scouter
Brockville Troop

bcbagheera

Post by bcbagheera » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:51 pm

Yes, unfortunately nothing will get changed for too long. And yes, it is a dead horse, but that does not mean the deficiencies go away.

By the way, German fascists wore a brown shirt, not tan, and Italian fascists wore black! :)

The Blueshirts were Canadian, Greyshirts were South African and Greenshirts were Romanian fascists, should we not wear those colours either?

Untucked, wrinkled shirts may be more comfortable, but in no way look better.

Bob Gordon

Post by Bob Gordon » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:21 pm

Interesting Scouting connection to another organization whose members wore green shirts:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hargrave
who left the Boy Scouts to found a less militaristic organization
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kibbo_Kift
then took up with Social Credit and his organization became the Green Shirt Movement for Social Credit

Hargrave later became an adviser to Social Credit government in Alberta

video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXEt7SV1jbA

Sam Wallis

Post by Sam Wallis » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:34 pm

The deficiencies of the new uniform could be debated forever. same with the last. but its not like anyone is going to take this discussion under advisement the next time it changes, and it will change.
Truth is a perception, and a individual perception is their truth