New Joe Fresh Uniforms Really Disapointing

Raves, rants, and comments about the 2011 uniform change
RakelaK
anti_spambot: 7

Re: New Joe Fresh Uniforms Really Disapointing

Post by RakelaK » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:40 am

We have 5 points of inspection (including paws n claws)

And shirts must be tucked in (tan or Grey) for inspection as well as opening and closing circles (or they get docked points)

Point race is pretty tight. The winning Six get an all expenses paid camp at a great wilderness site that we don't camp at any other time of the year + they get to do higher challenge activities that we don't normally do with an entire pack.... plus... take home prizes and toys. So its worth it for them to stay ship-shape all year because the stakes are high. Cubs on previous year's winning Sixes are motivators. They know just how gem that Top Six Camp is.... and they will work hard to get to it again regardless of whether they are on each Sixes 'Youth Leadership Team or not. We don't use lofty Sixer and Second titles much..... YLTs are a shared leadership team in each Six... + they attend monthly "Council Rock" meetings... we don't call them Sixer Councils because we don't use the term Sixer very much anyways. It creates a team that is better prepared to be in a Scout Patrol and be able to run their own programs at that level with little leader facilitating required. At least that's the hope. Our Cubs and Scouts have doubled in size in two years... picking up youth who were bored in other groups along the way.... so it seems to be working, for now.

Key element at inspection.... tuck in that shirt and look neat because there are times in life when that is appropriate/required. They can take the stupid uni off when we're doing activities/games because they're too hot anyways. Teach a kid when its the right time to tuck in their shirt when they're nine years old.... and they won't do something stupid like go to a job interview when their sixteen with an untucked sloppy look. They won't even have to be reminded of it when they get to Scouts ... it'll just seem natural. Cubs never whine or complain about it... they just do it because they know its the proper thing to do for those elements of our meetings and camps..... which is good because if they did whine... they would lose a point for it. LOL! :D

FeatheredCap

Post by FeatheredCap » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:30 am

I started volunteering as a Scouter with my local group in September. I'm in my mid-twenties and I was actually kind of excited to put on one of the tan uniforms, because they were what I was used to seeing my friends wear when I was a kid. Unfortunately, my parents never got me involved in Scouting when I was young. Anyhow, I was surprised to come across the red uniforms. I didn't have any problem with it. So, I went and I picked up a shirt after I had officially gone through the screening and what not, and to my surprise, the cuffs were missing buttons and didn't even have the holes cut into them so they could be secured by the missing buttons! I thought it was slightly humorous.
Sean
Chil, Assistant Cub Leader
169th Glen Allan

Aric_Ton_Ribi

Post by Aric_Ton_Ribi » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:06 pm

Alright, first thing I have to say is that the uniform is 100% cotton, which is an issue because it absorbs water very well, which isn't a good thing. Also, the uniform is very thin, and as a lot of people have been saying, it shrinks and deforms quickly, I am still using the tan uniform, but my dad has gone through two uniforms because of the poor quality. My dads first red uniform shrunk after about 5 washes, and the second one tore, but not along a seam, so it couldn't be sown back together without looking really stupid. All in all, it was a bad decision to change the uniform.

dcowan

Post by dcowan » Mon May 26, 2014 10:55 am

They still are a disappointment. Time for a "Uniform Review".

Angus Bickerton

Post by Angus Bickerton » Mon May 26, 2014 11:27 am

-1 ^

The last thing we need is a review. My goodness, no more reviews! Stick with what we have, but switch suppliers when the contract expires.

I'm on my second red shirt now. I have one for formal occasions & meetings, and one which I hacked the sleeves off of and use for camps. It is very faded after 2 years of use and washing.

Just a note, but I'm not sure why people wear their uniforms at camp. We use activity shirts and always have our neckers, with the uniform shirts being used at meetings and other public/urban functions. For hiking, camping and canoeing, we switch to a bright orangy-yellow t-shirt that our Group had made with our Group crest silk-screened in large on the chest, and our Group name on the back, and a Scouts Canada logo embroidered on the sleeve. At $12 a shirt, it is easily replaceable, and it is really easy to spot our youth in the woods and at Area/Council events.
Angus Bickerton
Troop Scouter
Brockville Troop
1st Brockville Group Committee
1st Gilwell 2011 (Colony) 2013 (Pack)

There is no armour made that can withstand the truth - Karsa Orlong

Sam Wallis

Post by Sam Wallis » Mon May 26, 2014 11:32 am

Lets not change it all every 2 or 3 years

Angus our cubs make a shirt every year at camp. works great as a camp shirt, and they made it using fabric paint and stencils...
Truth is a perception, and a individual perception is their truth

Hawkeye3

Post by Hawkeye3 » Mon May 26, 2014 1:15 pm

I agree, the style of the shirt should not change. However, I would love to see the fabric change. My shirt is less than a year old, has only been worn on "parade" nights, and has both dark spots and white spots (sweat stains :( ). I am not happy about this and want to return it. 120 hours of wear should not look like that.
Tom

Roxybeaver1

Post by Roxybeaver1 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:18 pm

"Just a note, but I'm not sure why people wear their uniforms at camp. We use activity shirts and always have our neckers, with the uniform shirts being used at meetings and other public/urban functions. "

I wear the necker and the activity shirt at camp...and often at many meetings too. It just fits me better and it breathes better! The "proper" uniform I will wear to special events or when I want the extra layer of warmth.

SteveMatheson

Post by SteveMatheson » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:45 am

Perhaps we should update the "20 Things You Need To Know" in the "New Scouter Welcome Kit".
http://www.scouts.ca/nswk/new/docs/nswk-2014-en.pdf
15. The shirts ARE washable.
20. YES — the shirts are washable! (Well worth mentioning twice!)

When doing an orientation, I always point these out and replace them with my own advise:
A) Do not dry-clean the shirts, the BadgeMagic adhered patches will disappear
B) While the shirts are washable (but be gentle), please hang them to dry and the dryer seems to really fade them.

The published advise (which is neither helpful nor trustworthy) is perhaps great for the old tan shirts (like my 23 year old one), but not the new red ones (like the 3 years old one that I've just ordered a replacement).
Steve Matheson
Group Commissioner, 3rd Eastern Passage
Nova Scotia

bearspaws100

Post by bearspaws100 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:33 pm

Are there still badge sashed available anywhere? Sewing badges on a sleeve is a nightmare, when I have to wash the shirt I'll have to wash the badges too which will probably ruin them, and then I'll have to cut off the sleeve and put it on the camp blanket after? (Lovely!!-NOT!). These uniforms are cheap looking and getting rid of the sash was a bad idea. :evil:

Angus Bickerton

Post by Angus Bickerton » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:24 am

Sashes were gotten rid of because they were a pain. They often drooped off the youth's shoulder, and had to be removed for safety reasons for any activity. The badges on the sleeve, actually, is a throwback to the old scout uniform up to the early 1960s. The main reason the sash was trashed was that it was a safety hazard. The new uniform is actually more usable, however, there are the undeniable quality issues.

Do you iron on the badges first? Makes sewing them a lot easier. You could also use badge magic? That stuff is amazing, but it makes adding any security stitches difficult. The badge magic does provide a permanent hold, but the iron-on material is only temporary at best.
Angus Bickerton
Troop Scouter
Brockville Troop
1st Brockville Group Committee
1st Gilwell 2011 (Colony) 2013 (Pack)

There is no armour made that can withstand the truth - Karsa Orlong

Jody

Post by Jody » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:34 pm

Bear:

You can buy sashes from SC's on-line store here:

http://scoutshop.ca/eSolution/catalogue ... num_cols=3

My guys don't wear the sash except when they want to show off their badges. They'll never have to re-sew them if they change shirts. They can also be displayed on a wall or blanket without re-sewing them. Opinions are obviously, however, split with respect to sashes. Have fun whatever you decide.

Cheers.
B. Jody Lotzkar
Founder
1st Mountaineer Scouts, West Vancouver, B.C.

Email.......... scouterjody [at] gmail [dot] com
Facebook..... http://www.facebook.com/MountaineerScouts
Instagram... http://www.instagram.com/1stMountaineers
Web............ http://www.MountaineerScouts.com
MCAMP........ http://www.MountaineeringCamp.com

Oh, and if anyone asks: Yes....this IS supposed to scare your mother!