New Joe Fresh Uniforms Really Disapointing

Raves, rants, and comments about the 2011 uniform change
Mega
anti_spambot: 7

New Joe Fresh Uniforms Really Disapointing

Post by Mega » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:10 am

Good morning

Not sure where else to let our views be know as I could find a contact email online that wasn't just a general inbox. However, I have to say that the new uniforms are a real shame. Joe Fresh clothes are cheaply made, don't last and look sloppy. The "casual modern" look that the Scouts PR machine is stating was the goal has resulted in something that doesn't even look ike a uniform anymore, and guaranteed, as any parent knows who has made the mistake of buying Joe Fresh clothes, two or three washes and the clothes shrink, get very wrinkled even after ironing, and are shapeless.

The badges going down the arms? How is that going to look or even work - there is a lot of room on the sash, not on sleeves and when the material is so thin, it will further misshape the material on the arms.

Anyway, we will hang on to our son's uniform and when he needs the next level up, will buy used online to avoid spending money on something that won't last and looks cheap, and pass it down to his brother. We aren't paying for this stuff.

Sorry for the strong sentiments, but to wait this long to update the uniform and then go for a lower-quality, casual line of clothes is really disappointing.

makr
anti_spambot: 0

Re: New Joe Fresh Uniforms Really Disapointing

Post by makr » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:24 am

All I can say is wait to find out what the clothing is actually made out of.

2ndBayRidgesCubs Kaa

Post by 2ndBayRidgesCubs Kaa » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:46 am

I can appreciate not everyone will like the style that was choosen, but to attack the quality before you have seen an actual uniform is jumping the gun a bit.

As to badges on the sleeves, that is eactly what the cubs did before the last uniform change. The old grey flannel uniform had badges sewn directly on the sleeves, cubs did not get a sash until they changed the unifrom to beige for all sections.

As for the Scouts PR machine, I've seen more press on our movement this morning then in the past 10 years combined. If we are to grow membership we must get the message out that we are still here, and National did a great job of that today.

Richard - Kaa 2nd Bay Ridges Cubs
Richard Peden | Kaa 2nd Bay Ridges Cub Scouts

awallwork

Post by awallwork » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:21 am

What is even more impressive is - we are essentially in an election campaign today - it makes things all that more impressive!
pccrovers.com | andrew.wallwork AT pccrovers (the one character) com | twitter @scoutscanada @awallwork

brilang

Post by brilang » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:12 am

Apparently the Scouts Uniform was a trending topic on Twitter last night - higher than the election.
--
Brian Lang
Contact Scouter - Beavers - 2nd Abbotsford - Fraser Cheam Area - Fraser Valley Council - BC

ayates

Post by ayates » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:14 am

The shirt colours look good; though it is essentially going back to where we were 30 years ago when I was a kid in Cubs & Scouts. I really like getting rid of the sash, especially for Cubs; that never worked. Somebody said the pants are now tan; that is a really bad idea from a cleaning and camping perspective. As an old fogey, I don't like that the intent is not to tucking the shirts. We may find that many leaders insist on tucking in any way. Haven't seen a photo yet of the leader shirt.

kaa27th

Post by kaa27th » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:02 pm

I am quite disappointed, too, I don't think the uniforms look smart or are practical. Cubs in long sleeved shirts in the summer with a ball cap that does not protect the ears? Ugh.
YIS
Akela (formerly Kaa),
Peterborough, ON

makr

Post by makr » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:09 pm

Folks, just be patient. Make fully formed decisions after it's been properly presented.

kaa27th

Post by kaa27th » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:42 pm

True. I apologize, first impressions just did not impress.
I do like the idea of bright red leader shirts, lol. I am trying ot find the positives and there are definitely some.
YIS
Akela (formerly Kaa),
Peterborough, ON

kaa27th

Post by kaa27th » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:36 pm

Well, I watched the webcast, and I have to say I am still a bit disappointed.
Beavers: All the Beavers on the stage couldn't see out from under their hats, poor kids. I do like the vest.
Cubs: not very smart looking, though comfortable. Not happy with the ball caps at all. Kind of feel they got the short end of the stick with this uniform change.
Scouts and up look very nice and comfortable. I love the red leader shirt.
YIS
Akela (formerly Kaa),
Peterborough, ON

makr

Post by makr » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:10 pm

Beavers have always had that problem with the current hats. (must pick one up before they're gone)

We'll see how cubs actually like the new uni, i was never impressed with the tan at that age.

Overall, i enjoyed it and think is a good change while still respecting the heritage of scouts canada.

Doug Reid

Post by Doug Reid » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:13 pm

Folks,

I would encourage you to wait to see the product, it's not cheap clothing, the new uniforms are practical, modern and affordable.

Here's some notes on the materials:

• Comfortable, made from cotton and hi-tech polyester fabrics that are comfortable, colour-fast and quick-drying.
• Colours have been updated to reflect a more modern feel.
• No more sash. Scouting youth will now wear their achievements directly on their sleeve. Our revamped badges (which were
also redesigned by Joe Fresh Style) will show off new artwork for various levels of Scouts, with a more contemporary design.

Fabrics were specifically chosen to meet our need for contemporary style, durability and COMFORT. The Beaver Scout vest is
made from a soft French terry, and the Cub jersey from a cotton pique knit.
Camp shirts and uniform pants are made of 100% cotton and have a relaxed look – but they are not made from just any cotton.
Joe Fresh sourced Poplin – a strong cotton fabric that almost looks like canvas. Poplin is most often associated with dress shirts –
it’s incredibly comfortable and results in a high quality product.
Yoga pants and shorts are made from Joe Fresh quality Supplex, which offers cotton-soft comfort, is shrink and fade resistant,
and dries much faster than cotton.

As for the badges, yes the sash is gone, this was a major objection that came from all the surveys. As noted above, we won't just be putting existing badges on new shirts. They will also be woven, vs what we have been using up till now. This means that they will be slimmer and more flexible for wearing on the shirts. We have selected unique colours for each Section, and updated the artwork.

I believe that it's an exciting and bold move for Scouts Canada!

Doug
Doug Reid
Deputy National Commissioner - Program Services

ayates

Post by ayates » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:25 pm

I have to say that while I like the uniforms, I don't like the tanned pants for scouts, the fact that the uniforms have no eppelettes so there for there won't be any cords and the fact that they're changing the badges.

In scouts we have always just worn jeans and I don't have any tanned pants. The eppelettes were an easy way to distinguish the patrol leaders and assistants. When I get a cord I was really proud and the cords gave me something to work towards. I think that the cub badges look way to much like the scout badges. When I went up to scouts I was really proud of my badges that I got because they looked more sophisticated. Now everybody will have to re-sow on the badges that they've earned. It's sometimes really hard to remove badges. I always use a special glew to keep them in place while I sew them on. Now all the groups will have to replace the badges that they have which takes a fair amount of monney so that means less activities.

Heather

1st Merrickville Scouts

kaa27th

Post by kaa27th » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:24 pm

Beavers have always had that problem with the current hats. (must pick one up before they're gone)
Actually, my kids didn't have any trouble with the current hats. They fit well.
We'll see how cubs actually like the new uni, I was never impressed with the tan at that age.
My white tail Beaver and 2nd year cub find it very "boring", as my son said "it doesn't look like scouting colours" (although, I am not sure what he considers "scouting colours" to be, lol), he is envious of the red shirt I am getting.

I am a bit worried about the cost/waste associated with the change in badges, if we had known a change in badges were coming, we would not have stocked up as much this year as we did. Our group has a bit of a stock of all of the badges and to replace all of them will be costly. I hope with the smaller/woven badges there will be a reduced price of each badge.
YIS
Akela (formerly Kaa),
Peterborough, ON

whuggard

Post by whuggard » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:14 pm

I am a bit worried about the cost/waste associated with the change in badges, if we had known a change in badges were coming, we would not have stocked up as much this year as we did. Our group has a bit of a stock of all of the badges and to replace all of them will be costly. I hope with the smaller/woven badges there will be a reduced price of each badge.
If we can keep wearing the old uniforms, you can bet we will be handing out the old badges until they are gone.
Will Huggard
Akela - 1st Crestview Cubs
Winnipeg, MB

Susan Murray

Post by Susan Murray » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:59 am

To make the new uniform more of a "uniform", I would bring back the epaulets. Our youth have really looked forward to getting their different cords as opposed to just another "badge". I will miss going to our local second hand store to find extra shirts for our Scouters, certainly not in keeping with recycling. We ask that our youth do not bring baseball style hats to camp. I think that if some minor changes are made to make it into more of a uniform, I can live with it. We already had a casual uniform.

kaa27th

Post by kaa27th » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:18 pm

You can still recycle and pass down. For the next few years there will be kids wearing the old uniform, and our group (which has a large percentage of kids from low income families) will be collecting old shirts and still handing them out until families can afford to buy new or kids start passing down the new uniforms. I don't think there is anything wrong with taking a few years to make the change.
YIS
Akela (formerly Kaa),
Peterborough, ON

LoyalistMang

Post by LoyalistMang » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:15 pm

whuggard wrote:If we can keep wearing the old uniforms, you can bet we will be handing out the old badges until they are gone.
Our Area has thousands of $$$ invested in our local badge shop and I don't know if there are enough youth to use anywhere enough of the badges up in time.

Of course, we have our own local turmoil to deal with, so this only adds to the "fun".
Gord Campbell
Akela, 1st Sydenham Pack
Loyalist Area DAC - Communications

Susan Murray

Post by Susan Murray » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:45 am

I can imagine that the badges on the sleeves will either be sewn on (which will leave lots of holes in the material) or glued on (it will not be easy to take the badges off). Either scenario leaves us with a shirt that cannot be used again. I have heard that dry cleaning can be used to take badges off but that is certainly not in keeping with our environmental policies.

Smallbunny

Post by Smallbunny » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:49 pm

Greetings,

Like many of you, I to am disappointed in the New Joe Fresh Line of Uniforms. I personally don't buy Joe Fresh Clothes, as they are cheap and poorly made. I find dark colours fade after a few washings, seams come open and zippers come apart. Then I end up spending 20 minutes at the local Superstore trying to explain to the young clerk why I want to return this item after a few wears or washes (usually they won't take it back even if you have a receipt). At least Scouts should have gone with the Kid Durable line for Sears which is much higher quality.

As a Beaver Leader, the Beaver outfits are cute, but is who on earth gives a 5,6 or 7 year old a white T-Shirt?? We do tons of crafts, painting and gluing so white t-shirts won't last clean long. I do like the wide brimmed hat for the young ones, and this should have been carried through for all sections for sun safety.

Also I disagree with getting rid of the sash. Last year my oldest son completed all but seven badges in Cubs. His sash was covered on both sides. He was very proud of his work and accomplishments, and wore his sash with pride, while the younger cubs in his pack counted his badges. I think the Sash is the biggest advertisement a child can have to show off his or her accomplishments in cubs or scouts.

Our family we keep wearing our older style uniforms as long as we can.

Kathleen Rae
3rd Edmonton Beavers