Rover Beret

Virtual Moot for our senior scouting section.

Moderators: Errol Feldman, Mike Stewart

ayates
anti_spambot: 7

Re: Rover Beret

Post by ayates » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:05 pm

My cub pack as a kid in Toronto was shorts, knee high socks, and garters; trousers weren't permitted. The whole uniform from the waist up doesn't really work, if uniformity is what is desired. Even everybody in jeans works quite nicely. But a pair of purple track pants sticks out like a sore thumb.

Hawkeye3

Post by Hawkeye3 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:40 pm

ayates wrote:My cub pack as a kid in Toronto was shorts, knee high socks, and garters <snip>... But a pair of purple track pants sticks out like a sore thumb.
Yes, I showed my son my Cub uniform. He was happy that our shirts look the same. He found the green hat to be interesting, ditto for the shorts. However, he was not impressed with the high socks, belt, garters, and dues holder.

What problem or issue is the uniform trying to solve? Why wear uniforms? What happens when someone "sticks out like a sore thumb"?

Rick Gruchy

Post by Rick Gruchy » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:08 pm

Hawkeye3 wrote:What problem or issue is the uniform trying to solve? Why wear uniforms? What happens when someone "sticks out like a sore thumb"?
Fair question. I recall that B-P wrote something to the effect the he didn't give a fig if a Scout wore the uniform, he was only concerned that the young person be willing to take the promise and live by the law. I think I read that in B-P's Outlook, but by all means, feel free to post a correct citation.

Rick

ayates

Post by ayates » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:10 pm

Rick Gruchy wrote:I recall that B-P wrote something to the effect the he didn't give a fig if a Scout wore the uniform, he was only concerned that the young person be willing to take the promise and live by the law.
Hawkeye3 wrote:What problem or issue is the uniform trying to solve? Why wear uniforms?
A nice summary is available from: http://bpsa-us.org/resources/uniforms/
B-P said, in what is probably his most-quoted writing about the uniform, “I don’t care a fig whether a Scout wears the uniform or not so long as his heart is in his work and he carries out the Scout Law’‘. However, this quote is out of context, as B-P goes on to say, “But the fact is that there is hardly a Scout who does not wear the uniform if he can afford to buy it. The spirit prompts him to it.”

Scouting uses the uniform both as the great equalizer between youth from families of modest means and those who are well off. The uniform, apart from erasing any class distinctions, also fosters the spirit of belonging into a single society in which all members are equal to one another and responsible to one another. It gives the scouts a sense of pride of belonging to a worldwide movement.

Allan

ayates

Post by ayates » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:21 pm

Hawkeye3 wrote:Yes, I showed my son my Cub uniform. He was happy that our shirts look the same. He found the green hat to be interesting, ditto for the shorts. However, he was not impressed with the high socks, belt, garters, and dues holder.
The best I could do on short notice...
Shorts2.jpg
(215.87 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
Shorts1.jpg
(314.84 KiB) Downloaded 1 time

firedog_53

Post by firedog_53 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:48 am

Hmmm...
We seem to be drifting away from the Topic??

FD

Sam Wallis

Post by Sam Wallis » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:30 am

on the internet? forum drift? never.

back to topic, there are so few rovers that I say if a couple of them want a beret let them. SC should find a way to get enough rovers that it makes a differece what they wear on their heads, then produce whats wanted, but with rovers being less than 2% of the organization I wouldnt think its the important part now.
Truth is a perception, and a individual perception is their truth

Rick Gruchy

Post by Rick Gruchy » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:00 am

Sam Wallis wrote:on the internet? forum drift? never.

back to topic, there are so few rovers that I say if a couple of them want a beret let them. SC should find a way to get enough rovers that it makes a differece what they wear on their heads, then produce whats wanted, but with rovers being less than 2% of the organization I wouldnt think its the important part now.
I think you are right. I am more concerned about getting more Rovers. However, if we are going to be recruiting at Universities, I would argue (based on my own experience) that Red Berets and Knight Themes are a deterrent to growth in this section.

firedog_53

Post by firedog_53 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:29 am

Rick Gruchy wrote:Red Berets and Knight Themes are a deterrent to growth in this section.
True, but there are those who still like the "more traditional Crews".. so, if they decide to wear a Red Bonnet?? So what, might be a good response? Heck, don't we let some Crews wear Skirts and such already?

Want to recruit in Colleges, thats where Themed programs seem to thrive. Whether its Vocational or Extreme Adventure, that seems to work. (Maybe even "extreme service" with a big foreign service project, ie, build a school, save turtles , whatever?)

I am going to save my strength for when we push to get short pants and garters back for Leaders! ;)
(I can be such a jerk, sorry!...)
FD

Rick Gruchy

Post by Rick Gruchy » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:59 pm

firedog_53 wrote:Want to recruit in Colleges, thats where Themed programs seem to thrive. Whether its Vocational or Extreme Adventure, that seems to work. (Maybe even "extreme service" with a big foreign service project, ie, build a school, save turtles , whatever?)
Agreed. 100%
firedog_53 wrote:I am going to save my strength for when we push to get short pants and garters back for Leaders! ;)
(I can be such a jerk, sorry!...)
FD
:lol: That would be when I called it a day.

makr
anti_spambot: 0

Post by makr » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:20 pm

I find if you boil the rover program down to the essentials, it's a personal development program within an organization that can give you real experience to help achieve those goals. This appeals to university kids. When recruiting for Rovers avoid dealing theme/scouting history, talk to them about their goals and how they're doing make the program about them, not the crew.

jkeess

Post by jkeess » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:08 pm

Not sure how I feel about this. Beret can look very cool or very, very goofy.

I have an (unfair) negative association of scouting beret with scouting folk who like to buy cheesy military surplus kit and wear it with their beret like they're some sort of BP commando. They're finicky. they're decent for dress occasions and terrible for field conditions. They fall off your head when you run and are hot as all get out in the summer.

I'm rather a fan of doing ceremonies sans headgear. It's the proper civilian protocol anyhow. After ceremonies, a ball cap does wonders.