Rovers to get Milestone Recognition Program awards

Virtual Moot for our senior scouting section.

Moderators: Mike Stewart, Errol Feldman

sburns
anti_spambot: 7

Re: Rovers to get Milestone Recognition Program awards

Postby sburns » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:31 am

Robert, when you received the list pulled from the MyScouts database, did you contact Jeff Schaffhausser or myself with your concern? The Group Commissioners are a vital link in determining the Rovers status. The list you referred to was sent out twice to ensure that those listed are correct.

As Alex Kilby pointed out, MyScouts does not differentiate between a Rover participant or a Rover Volunteer. Your example, of your son, indicates one of the reasons we have concerns.
The Rover volunteers, then goes to school or work away from home, and is not volunteering throughout the Scouting year. But may return during semester breaks or holidays to help with an Area or Council event. Most of the Rovers I am familiar with do volunteer in addition to their participation. The current screening practices have all Rovers as Volunteers for the times they fulfill that role.

The 10 year award is part of the Milestone Recognition program. It is for years of service not youth participation. It should be presented promptly after the 10th year of service has been completed. The current recognition programs require fewer and fewer written applications. MyScouts now provides a report on Recognition, this allows the Area Honours and Awards to follow a volunteer and once they reach the 5 year point, many Areas present a certificate and pin. As many of our volunteers (75%) have fewer than 7 years of service to Scouts Canada, it is clear we cannot wait until their 5th year to recognize them. As a Group Commissioner I wrote a personal note and provided a badge, ornament and pin three times over the course of the scouting year. Yes a personal handwritten note took quite a bit of time, but I felt then and still do, that saying Thank you to our volunteers is one of the most important jobs Group Commissioners do. This assists us in not having to recruit new leaders each year. My 20 leaders have indicated they appreciated the thought, and many still have the notes and gifts.

Finally, a Warrant of Appointment is provided at the discretion of the council. Each council has different criteria for the WoA. This is often one of the first certificates a leader receives, and should be included as a form of recognition.

Hopefully this information provides some clarification on the MRP and recognition process. We will take your concerns into consideration as we continue to improve on saying Thank You to our volunteers.

Yours in Scouting
Sandi Burns
National Recognition Advisor

Errol Feldman
anti_spambot: 0

Postby Errol Feldman » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:42 am

sburns wrote:The 10 year award is part of the Milestone Recognition program. It is for years of service not youth participation. It should be presented promptly after the 10th year of service has been completed.

{SNIPPED}

Finally, a Warrant of Appointment is provided at the discretion of the council. Each council has different criteria for the WoA. This is often one of the first certificates a leader receives, and should be included as a form of recognition.

Hopefully this information provides some clarification on the MRP and recognition process. We will take your concerns into consideration as we continue to improve on saying Thank You to our volunteers.

Yours in Scouting
Sandi Burns
National Recognition Advisor

To emphasize the GOLD AND SILVER Bars recognize the number of membership years, including as a Youth from Beavers up as applicable.
My Group uses the WoA to recognize One Year as the scouter receives it after completion of their 1st Year as a Scouter
Errol Feldman
Commissioner
Scouts Canada - Europe
Just an Old Dinosaur

“Do, or do not. There is no try.”
Master Yoda

Robert D White

Postby Robert D White » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:11 pm

Sandi

sburns wrote:Robert, when you received the list pulled from the MyScouts database, did you contact Jeff Schaffhausser or myself with your concern? The Group Commissioners are a vital link in determining the Rovers status. The list you refered to was sent out twice to ensure that those listed are correct.

I went through the chain of command: AC first, who referred it to the Council ED who said they were waiting for a reply from Jeff. It took ages to get a response to what seemed to be a simple question.

As Alex Kilby pointed out, MyScouts does not differenciate between a Rover participant or a Rover Volunteer. Your example, of your son, indicates one of the reasons we have concerns.

I'm surprised a program that is supposed to as sophisticated as MyScouts can't differentiate between these two roles.
Robert White
Group Commissioner, 1st Guelph Firefighter Venturers/1st Guelph Rovers
Chaplain, Wellington Area
I'm an ISTJ

norma
anti_spambot: 7

Postby norma » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:02 pm

I thought one of the "bonuses" of the new myscouts over the old MMS was that it was going to be able to differentiate between Rovers who are *only* Rovers and Rovers who are Rovers *and* Scouters. And that this was something that was wanted by the *Rovers*, since the *Rovers* were not happy being lumped into being "adult volunteers" and not allowed to be *just* Rovers.

And now Alex and Sandi are saying that National is just "assuming" that all Rovers are "adult volunteers" and not "participants only". Something that the Rovers themselves have wanted the membership at large to stop doing ...

Robert D White

Postby Robert D White » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:54 pm

Norma
And now Alex and Sandi are saying that National is just "assuming" that all Rovers are "adult volunteers" and not "participants only". Something that the Rovers themselves have wanted the membership at large to stop doing ...

Some of my Rover Scouts are convinced that Scouts Canada's ultimate plan is to phase out the Section entirely - leaving only Rover-aged people who want to be involved in Leadership.

I'm not convinced there is such a nefarious plot about, but circumstances like this certainly seems to give their concern a seeming basis of truth.
Robert White
Group Commissioner, 1st Guelph Firefighter Venturers/1st Guelph Rovers
Chaplain, Wellington Area
I'm an ISTJ

Errol Feldman

Postby Errol Feldman » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:50 am

Robert D White wrote:
Some of my Rover Scouts are convinced that Scouts Canada's ultimate plan is to phase out the Section entirely - leaving only Rover-aged people who want to be involved in Leadership.

I'm not convinced there is such a nefarious plot about, but circumstances like this certainly seems to give their concern a seeming basis of truth.

A lot of that would depend on the Rovers themselves. I doubt that there are a dozen crews left in Canada; if that number continues to fall and Rovers disappear, then it would not surprise me that the section disappears completely. I doubt that we have 1000 Rover Scouts left in Canada.

Some of us still consider that we are "also" Rovers under the motto of :Once a Rover, Always a Rover". Having been through all 5 degrees: Rover, Mate, Skipper, DRSL, and ADC-Rovers; I certainly do, and am still Questing.
Errol Feldman
Commissioner
Scouts Canada - Europe
Just an Old Dinosaur

“Do, or do not. There is no try.”
Master Yoda

makr

Postby makr » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:24 am

That's about on par with what rovers out west have guessed for years, at least up until the recent program revitalization.

I remember reading an article from about 94 about the Rover program being phased out in favour of a leadership corp.

Return to “Rover Scouts”