Communications Tools & Strategies

Online stuff, membership tools, etc.
LoyalistMang
anti_spambot: 7

Communications Tools & Strategies

Post by LoyalistMang » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:24 pm

Time for a new topic. :-)

In June, I was appointed Deputy Area Commissioner - Communications for Loyalist Area. The position didn't exist before, it grew out of the assistance that I was giving to the AC with mass email and some weaknesses that I saw in the approach.

I've since set up an assortment of mailing lists, I've been given the Facebook page & web page access and I also have Area Twitter and Instagram accounts. I was using them quite extensively during our week-long Pack & Troop summer camp. Thank you Rogers for putting up a new tower within site of Otter Lake Camp! :D

What are other people using? I use the email features of ScoutsTracker for section communication, but I can't seem to shake the feeling that I'm missing something. Any whizz-bang stuff that I'm missing?
Gord Campbell
Akela, 1st Sydenham Pack
Loyalist Area DAC - Communications

Hawkeye3

Re: Communications Tools & Strategies

Post by Hawkeye3 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:10 pm

Hi Gord,
I am making full use of Google for this work. I have a Google page, a Google (Blogspot) blog with RSS, email, and Facebook feeds. When I update the Cub blog, web page viewers, Facebook, RSS, and email subscribers all receive notifications! This did not take me long to build (4-6 hours, I am a web newbie) but I hope it will save me time in the long run.

We have Group and Section Google Calendars. The Group calendar is visible on the Section page, the calendars are displayed on the Beaver and Cub pages. My web page also displays some of my Google documents (badges, stars) and can be used for other items. As soon as I update the badge chart, it is instantly viewable on the web site.

As for comms, I would suggest two items:
1) Help leaders do the same for their sections, DAC's do the same for their work, etc.
2) Media. Get to know the local media. They are always looking for stories and you can provide them some.

I hope that helps,
Tom
http://www.3rdOrleans.ca

Hawkeye3

Post by Hawkeye3 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:53 pm

Hi Gord,
I forgot something. As a DAC, you can use Facebook, Twitter, blogs etc. to allow for two way communication. You have a lot to communicate to section leaders, I am sure they have ideas, thoughts, and problems to communicate back up and out to other leaders. Enabling collaboration and sharing between groups and leaders can also be a part of your position. If you are able to do that, I think the whole area will benefit.
Tom

LoyalistMang

Post by LoyalistMang » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:03 am

Thanks Tom, I have some of that in the planning stages already, but not all. The trick will be getting some GCs, who barely use email, to climb on board. ;-)
Gord Campbell
Akela, 1st Sydenham Pack
Loyalist Area DAC - Communications