Using MMS for e-mailing

Online stuff, membership tools, etc.
Hawkeye3
anti_spambot: 7

Using MMS for e-mailing

Post by Hawkeye3 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:56 pm

As a section leader, I would like to be able to use MMS (a tool I have no access to) to create e-mail distribution lists. For instance, why can't I use MMS to create a distribution list for all of my Beavers? or all Beaver leaders in my area? or all of the leaders in my group? MMS has this information. There would need to be some controls on this (I shouldn't be able to send an e-mail to EVERYONE, but perhaps the CEO could).

Just an idea.

Scouter Richie

Re: Using MMS for e-mailing

Post by Scouter Richie » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:53 am

Talk to your group registar. They can attach a password to your current listing so that you can log into the system and access all of your group's files. You can then use databecon to get the email addresses out.

Personaly I would recomend not using MMS as it is not user friendly. Perhaps someone else how has had more experance with it then I could give you the click by click steps. It should be do able as national has sent out many mass email.

There is a long term plan to replace MMS. The new system will included this feature. http://www.scouts.ca/steve-files/Scouts ... %200.5.pdf (page 7)
YIS
Richie
Deputy Council Youth Commissioner - Youth Training & Special Events
Saskatchewan Council

gpetersen2011

Post by gpetersen2011 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:41 pm

Sorry Ritchie
This info is all dated. We were told at a workshop at the AGM in November that all this (brother of MMS) has been scrapped. In August sanity finally returned and the attempt to produce another home built solution(what your link points too) was scrapped in a move to a proven off the shelf Membership Management system that is in use and well tested world wide. We were told that we should see the bulk of this up and running by late spring and all next years registrations on the new system. It really did look good. The power point they used is on line at, can't find the link, gotta love this website it will be gone too. I will post it when I can get lucky again.
Gary Petersen
DCC LDS Relations
Northern Lights Council

Scouter Richie

Post by Scouter Richie » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:32 pm

Ok
The only info I really had was from the the June eBullitin.

I hope there is a well developed API for this system. Do you recall the name of it?
YIS
Richie
Saskatchewan Council

gpetersen2011

Post by gpetersen2011 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:19 am

The program is Net forum, it is being used by the likes of Rotary International.
Gary Petersen
DCC LDS Relations
Northern Lights Council

Scouter Richie

Post by Scouter Richie » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:23 pm

Here is the software site:
http://www.avectra.com/netforum/what-is ... rview.aspx

A few more questions:
Which version are they purchasing? netFORUM Enterprise, netForum Pro or netForum Team
Are we hosting it ourselves or letting the company host it?
What is our cost per year?
Who is overseeing the project? Adem Benson?
I have not gone through the list of features yet but it looks reasonable. They have a developer toolkit available so that we can develop parts that will not be included such as badge tracking. They seem to push you to take their training and use the enterprise version to develop customizations.
YIS
Richie
Saskatchewan Council

gpetersen2011

Post by gpetersen2011 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:30 pm

Email me at gary@thepetersens.ca and I will send you the power point which has the names of the guys working on this.
Gary Petersen
DCC LDS Relations
Northern Lights Council