Steve Kent's Opening Speech to Leadership Summit Oct. 2 2009

Discussions on Plans and Actions for Canadian Scouting
andrewpaterson
anti_spambot: 7

Steve Kent's Opening Speech to Leadership Summit Oct. 2 2009

Post by andrewpaterson » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:41 am

Subject: My speech from the Summit -- feel free to circulate as you see fit
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 11:11:47 -0400

The following speech was delivered by Steve Kent, Chief Commissioner and Chair of the Board of Governors, on October 2, 2009, at the opening of Scouts Canada’s Leadership Summit in Ottawa, Ontario.

Fellow Scouters, ladies and gentlemen… good morning. I want to welcome everyone here today – our Council Commissioners, our Youth Commissioners, CEDs and other staff members, our Board of Governors and Operations Advisory Committee, the members of our Task Force on Growth (they’re kind of hard to see in the orange shirts throughout the room – but trust me, they stand out in very significant ways). I also want to welcome our various speakers and special guests, and two of our facilitators, Corey Olynik and Jeff Callahan.

I believe that this Leadership Summit represents a significant moment in the history of Scouts Canada. This weekend, I believe that each of us will help position Scouting for a second century of success.

Now I want everyone to take a few seconds and look around. Notice the person sitting next to you. We are all here for the same reason – because we believe in this organization and we want to see it thrive. It’s been a long time coming folks, but we are going to make history here. We will leave here at the end of this weekend and Scouting as we know it will have changed forever. And we won’t be looking back.

We have lots to celebrate about the Scouting movement of the 20th century. But I stand before you today to declare that it’s going to be even better in the 21st century. But here’s the challenge. It’s up to us. It’s up to every person in this room today to ensure that we re-build a movement and that we build a legacy for generations yet to be born. Young people today are telling us that Scouts Canada needs to become more relevant and more effective if we are to survive. I believe in my heart that this is absolutely true. And we must deliver on what we promise. I believe that all of this is so important that I am prepared to stake the future on it.

For the first time in a quarter of a century, Scouting is growing again. We had a membership increase last year, and I’m confident we can do even better -- in this Scouting year and in subsequent years… as the Chair of your Board and as your Chief Commissioner, I owe it to the children and youth we serve to set the bar high. We can’t afford to aim for mediocrity. Our members deserve much more from us than that.

I’m certain that if the decline had continued, within a decade or so we’d face extinction. That’s not a path I’m prepared to travel. And I bet there’s not a single person in this room who would choose to take that path – they wouldn’t be sitting here among us today if that were true.

So, we need to think big. We need to act boldly. And we need to act now…with urgency.

The need for urgency should be clear to everyone – Because if we’re not growing, we’re literally dying!

We can’t afford to be complacent about this. Our Board of Governors knows that. That’s why in May 2009, our Board established a Task Force on Growth. The idea was simple enough: create and bring to life an Action Plan designed to shake us out of organizational complacency. Because the world is changing… and for Scouting to grow in our second century we need to be aware of these changes, respond to them, and harness them.

We can no longer afford to stand still in the middle of the road. We can no longer afford to spend time re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic. This plan is a call to action for all of us – collectively, and individually.

As you most of you would know, I’ve spent much of my time in the last ten months travelling this country to promote Scouting. And people say to me all the time… I haven’t seen you in a while… but everywhere I go I’m telling people we’re still here, we’re still the premiere movement for youth in Canada and around the world… and we’re growing. But I believe that deep down we’ve just forgotten how to shine like we once did. But that’s going to change.

I am pleased to report to you that we’ve already got some traction. As the Director of Membership Development and I travelled the nation, we listened, and now we’re responding to what our members are telling us. And the exciting thing is that some of it’s already working. As the CEO will outline shortly, we’ve had some early wins, and we’ve picked some low-hanging fruit to tackle first. The response has been amazing. We can now start to see what’s possible when everyone is committed, and when we’re all pulling in the same direction.

In the weeks and months ahead, we now have to aim higher – we have to climb the branches. And I admit that it be challenging. It will be hard. It may even be a little painful at times. But I promise you that it will be worth it. The young people of Canada deserve no less.

Friends in Scouting, ladies and gentlemen, this summit is about possibilities. It’s about making us shine brighter than ever. It’s about the future and about building that future together… right here, right now. That is SCOUTING NOW.

Making a difference isn’t just about the organization…. It’s about every individual that benefits from being involved in this movement. It’s about our youth today and the leaders they aspire to be.

SCOUTING NOW isn’t about support structures and policies and titles. The Action Plan for Canadian Scouting isn’t about those of us involved in the various management levels of the organization. It’s really about revitalizing a movement. It’s about children and youth. It’s about leaders and volunteers. It’s about ensuring that young people want to join us and also want to stay.

Ladies and gentlemen, SCOUTING NOW really is about changing the world. I’m here to do that. But I know I obviously can’t do it alone – this is something we need to do together – all Councils, all volunteers, all Scouting professionals, each and every one of us…around this room….and across this nation.

We’re not talking about changing 100 years of history. But we are talking about evolving with the times, and ensuring that we’re relevant to young people today and tomorrow.

Our founder, Baden-Powell, left us with an extraordinary legacy. Our responsibility to the youth of Canada is to build on that legacy. But we must never forget who we are and where we came from.

We’re still committed to the principles of citizenship and the outdoors – in fact, it’s never been more important than it is today.

But the definition of citizenship has certainly changed. Society today is more about “me” than about “us”, people don’t seem to want as much input as they did in the past.

And what about our legacy as a leader and pioneer in introducing youth to the great outdoors? As a society, the outdoors used to matter more in day-to-day life. Now, environmental issues are a responsibility.

With all this change, how are we going to be increasingly relevant in the 21st century? Honestly, how are we going to be relevant at all?

Well, we can start by listening…and acting on what we hear. We can dream big and we can bring those dreams to life.

We need to know who we’re talking to. We need to know how our messages are being heard. And we need to understand the tools that the next generations of youth are using to listen.

We need to listen to our youth and communicate the things they really care about.

The goal is not simply growth. We’re talking about relevance. Relevance coupled with effectiveness is really the primary goal -- Growth is merely the scoreboard. If we are relevant, and if we are effective, if we deliver on what we promise, kids will join and they will stay longer, and we will grow.

As we move into our second century, taking inspiration from the past, we recognize that today’s issues are not BP’s issues. Yet, again, BP left us with a wonderful legacy to build on – one that inspires confidence, hope, and pride.

I’m talking about the new Scouts Canada that we all must work together to build. Let’s tell Canada that we’ve been co-ed for over a decade, we’re diverse, multicultural, and multilingual. Let’s let Canadians know that still today, we’re building stronger and healthier communities. We’re developing generations of great leaders… that is the relevancy I’m talking about. So let’s challenge ourselves to get out there and tell the story of the difference we are making.

So here’s the first declaration at this Summit. LET’S BE SO RELEVANT AND SO EFFECTIVE AT WHAT WE’RE DOING THAT WE DOUBLE OUR SIZE IN THE NEXT FIVE YEARS!

Secondly, let’s be bigger than we’ve ever been by 2020. That would mean that our organization will touch the lives of 1 in 10 youth within ten years. That’s something to aim for. And that, fellow Scouters, is my 2020 vision for the Scouting movement in Canada.

But we’ll never grow if our approach is to merely work to create a “better yesterday.” We all know that there is more to Scouting than yesterday. There is today, and there is tomorrow!

In 1965, we were bigger than we had even been in Canada, serving about 320,000 members. I am proposing to you that 50 years later, at the end of the 2014-2015 Scouting year, we can be back to 200,000, and well on our way to being bigger than we’ve ever been in our entire history.

That means giving up some of the old ways we’ve done things, even some things that have served us well. I’m not saying that we give up what we stand for… but I am saying that we likely have to change how we deliver some of it.

We need to appreciate that our leaders and the parents of our members see the world through different eyes. We need to respect that and we need to stop trying to change them into “US” and start working with them to be themselves. That’s really what a movement is all about… and our movement is focused on helping young people reach their full potential… I know I wouldn’t be where I am today, who I am today, if it weren’t for Scouting.

That’s not to say that I don’t understand the consequences of this vision. I assure you that I do, and I assure you there are consequences. But I also see the opportunities, and I hope you do too. We’re all here because we believe in Scouting’s Mission… And we can better fulfill that mission by reaching out to even more children and youth. That’s a great opportunity, and that can be our legacy.

How do we get there?

By focusing our efforts in five areas:
#1 - Making it Easier for New and Current Volunteers
#2 - Enhancing Our Image, Profile and Expertise
#3 - Enhancing Organization Capacity
#4 - Achieving Meaningful Youth Involvement
#5 - Recruiting New Members and Finding New Volunteers

So, what does such a growth goal mean? Here’s an example of what it could look like. 15.5% / year growth until 2014 and 10% / year growth after that… or 1 new youth per year for every 10 and 1 new adult per year for every 20 existing. When we break it down that way, it becomes clear that it is really possible! Is it ambitious? Of course. But someone once said to me that even if you shoot for the moon and miss, you’ll likely still land among the stars.

Here’s another slide to illustrate that the 2014-2015 growth goal and the 2020 vision are achievable. It will be a heck of lot of work, but I promise you that it will be worth it. Imagine how powerful a movement we would be if we were more than three times the size of what we are today. I’m committed to doing everything I can to help us realize such a bold vision.

Imagine it for a minute. Imagine a time…not too far in the future, when it’s easier to volunteer, when much of the paperwork and training resources are online; when the systems are easy to manoeuvre, and program resources are available at the touch of a button. Think about a time when frequently-asked-questions have instant answers, and our volunteers are actually free to do what they volunteered for – to MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN THE LIVES OF YOUTH!

Now imagine a time when Scouting is seen by the Canadian public as the leader in environmental stewardship, as the best leadership development organization in the country, and as the leading youth serving agency in the country. Imagine a time when we become the go-to organization and relevant spokesperson for what youth (and their parents) are thinking and doing.

When we get there, I know we will all be unbelievably proud and our numbers will be growing so fast that we’ll have trouble tracking them.

And think for a minute about the capacity we can build. When our systems, our staff, our facilities, are running at peak efficiency, when we’ve mothballed all the archaic paper systems and replaced them with instant online capacity, the whole organization will be focused on what our mission is really all about - the youth…tomorrow’s leaders.

When we fully integrate young people and young ideas into our organization, we will no longer find ourselves out-of-touch with the very people and their parents that we are trying to reach. When relating to young people and young parents, years and years of experience can be as much a drawback as an asset; when we honestly find this balance, growth will be almost automatic.

While we will always find our partners in community halls and church basements, we need to expand our field of vision and seek out partnerships with all groups….many that we may not even see today.

We must be relevant to ALL Canadians, not just the ones we’ve always connected with.

So how do we bring this plan to life? I’m thrilled to tell you that we have some of the resources to get us started. Your Board of Governors has committed to investing $1,000,000 in national funds that will be allocated to initiatives aligned with the Action Plan. This special fund is already created and the funds are in place. I am thrilled to make this $1 million announcement this morning, and this is only the beginning.

We need more resources if we are to truly change and grow. My focus is to see that we get those resources. How? By building partnerships, by seeking out opportunities, and by asking the right questions. I firmly believe that with the right philanthropic approach, we will indeed raise the fund we need to bring the Action Plan to life and to realize the vision for growth.

But there’s more good news to share. Beginning right here, right now, with this Scouting year and for next Scouting year as well, we will immediately be establishing a Council rebate program for any dollars that are committed to initiatives that support the Action Plan and our vision for growth.

So what does that mean for Councils? In terms of growth, it means that for every member registered beyond the previous year’s total, Councils will get a $25 rebate on the national portion of the membership fee. That’s $25 back to your Council for every member you register above 100% of the previous year. The only catch is that Councils need to have a plan to use these funds to support growth initiatives in the Council. This two-year rebate program is a bold and progressive move. It’s a demonstration of our commitment to growth and to bringing the Action Plan to life. I believe that’s something to celebrate!

To make this bold vision for the future a reality, we will need to work together and be pulling in the same direction… a direction that we can all buy into. This will help ensure that all Councils and the national operation, both staff and volunteers, are working seamlessly toward the same goals.

A lot has been accomplished in the last few months. We’ve launched the initial piece of e-learning, and given leaders an opportunity to complete their training online. And we’ve done it in both official languages.

We’ve developed a new leader welcome kit, with resources like Jumpstarts, a uniform checklist, and simplified risk management guide. We’ve moved into social media with blogging, and official sites on Facebook, YouTube, and more followers on Twitter and we’ll be investing even more in our web strategy and redevelopment in the next few months… that’s a key priority in the Action Plan.

We’ve also launched the Task Force web site (again in both languages) so that we can reach out to everyone… our Tuesday night heroes, our leaders, our members…with an Action Plan that they can invest in, build on, and get excited about.

Now that the groundwork is laid, my personal focus needs to shift. I need to get out there and tell our story.

I need to forge new partnerships and build relationships. I need to attract more resources to support the growth plan. And I know I can’t do alone. I need help from the people in this room and others who can help me open doors.

Let’s all get out there and make some noise….not gentle noise, but loud, bold, get-off-your-feet-and-celebrate kind of noise. We’re committed to finding champions, and to letting those who know about Scouting tell their stories. As part of our Action Plan, we’re building a team of youth spokespersons, and we’ll be training them so they have the tools and resources they need to do this effectively.

Let’s seek out more relationships, and stronger relationships, than ever before. Let’s seek out MORE of everything…let’s deliver more speeches, seek more media opportunities, more donors, and more funds.

Secondly, I want to help make sure that we provide the support to help all volunteers, staff, Councils, and the national office work together for success.

I am committed to helping ensure that our staff and volunteers have the tools and resources they need to get the job done.

I am also deeply committed to breaking down barriers to growth and barriers to progress. As I said before, we can’t afford to be complacent. We can’t afford NOT to grow. So I’m asking you to lead….follow….get on board and be part of making this happen. And if you cannot, I respect that, and would ask that you move aside. Because we will succeed – we have no choice. The young people in this country are depending on us.

What do you need to do? Here’s my challenge to each of you.
• Focus on the future – SCOUTINGNOW
– No more conversation about membership decline… it’s over and done with!
• Focus on GROWTH
– Challenge yourself, figure out what growth looks like for your Council and your peers. Challenge and support each other
• Take Some RISKS
– Try something new, invite others, think BIG and act boldly!
• Celebrate your SUCCESS and the success of others.

Let’s build teams…invest in change. And make dreams happen.

Let’s say goodbye to some of the past, to the conversations that took us away from what we really needed to accomplish. Our legacy is a good one – there’s no doubt. It brought us to this point today. I asked you earlier to look around. This is quite a movement. We are all here for the same reason – because we believe in this organization and we want to see it thrive.

Over the next couple of days let’s focus on moving forward… on thinking big and growing our membership. Let’s focus on strategies that will double our membership; and excite a whole new generation of Scouters and young people. Let’s take some risks. Let’s create a brand new legacy.

I’m here because I want to give back…I hope you’ll join me in the exciting journey ahead of us.

Let’s leave at the end of this weekend with our vision solidly fixed, our plans laid out ahead of us, and our commitment to change a motivating factor in the months ahead. Let’s make history – because the future is right here, right now. And I still believe that our greatest moments are still to come.

Thank you very much

Stephen P. Kent
Chief Commissioner and
Chair of the Board of Governors
SCOUTS CANADA

SCOUTINGNOW
check it out at http://www.scoutingnow.org
Last edited by andrewpaterson on Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fixed typo in subject line

ayates

Re: Steve Kent's Opening Speach to Leadership Summit Oct. 2 2009

Post by ayates » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:25 am

Thanks for posting this Andrew; it's interesting reading.

Are there any documents/reports/etc from the rest of the weekend?

Allan.

andrewpaterson

Re: Steve Kent's Opening Speech to Leadership Summit Oct. 2 2009

Post by andrewpaterson » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:55 pm

Interesting... yes. Being in the room as Steve delivered it I can tell you it was electrifying!

No other reports yet. As things become available we'll get them up here and/or at http://www.scoutingnow.org
YIS
Andrew

You must show (them) by Your action that you consider (them to be) a responsible being. ... but in any case leave (them) alone and trust (them) to do (their) best. Trust should be the basis of all our moral training.
~ Lord Baden-Powell of Gilwell, Aids to Scoutmastership, 1920

BalooTwo

Post by BalooTwo » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:30 pm

OK. interesting. Good to see the decline has stopped. Lost about 15% of our Group and 2 leaders, but lets look on the bright side..........

Robert D White
anti_spambot: 0

Post by Robert D White » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:16 pm

andrewpaterson wrote: We’re not talking about changing 100 years of history. But we are talking about evolving with the times, and ensuring that we’re relevant to young people today and tomorrow.
This is the first of many times Steve Kent uses the term "relevant." What I find is missing is a definition of "relevant."
So here’s the first declaration at this Summit. LET’S BE SO RELEVANT AND SO EFFECTIVE AT WHAT WE’RE DOING THAT WE DOUBLE OUR SIZE IN THE NEXT FIVE YEARS!
Again, what exactly does he mean?

I've read many speeches by politicians over the years and, frankly, this read like another one. (Let's not forget his day job is as an member of the Newfoundland provincial parliament). It's full of platitudes but lacking substance. Let's hope the rest of the Summit filled in the blanks.
Robert White
Group Commissioner, 1st Guelph Firefighter Venturers/1st Guelph Rovers
Chaplain, Wellington Area
I'm an ISTJ

BalooTwo

Post by BalooTwo » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:14 am

Thanks Robert. I thought it just might be me. I have heard these speeches before. Correct me if I am wrong, but in 2004 and 2001or 2002, and even earlier. All stemming the tide of descent. This is a radical departure from holding the line and hope to increase. I know SC doesn't want any negativism, but I am a realist. To have the growth projected, you would need to pay leaders, have no membership fee, and outlaw sports. That's a lot of popcorn sales. If we get private funding, we will be shilling something else as well. Hello, I remember what is was like as a cub and scout in the late 60's and early 70's. In today's kids, SC cannot hold a candle to the overwhelming winning power of nintendo. instead of retaking the world, or Canada, would it not be more realistic to find the 2000's and 10's and 20's niche?

Sorry, I can rant on to fill up the web site internet buffer. If the room was 'electric' after the speech, then we have a bunch of yes men leading the charge.

Swampo

Post by Swampo » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:30 am

BalooTwo -
I know this is a sample size of one but 3 years ago our Pack was made up of one (partial) Six. This year we have 3 full Sixes and have just reopened our Scout section. Obviously, we can't commit to similar growth into the 2020s but this says to me that the demand is there if we can tap into it.
Chil

1st Coquitlam Kinsmen Pack

"Moderation in temper is always a virtue but moderation in principle is always a vice" Thomas Paine

Robert D White

Post by Robert D White » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:46 am

I realized, after I posted, that I might come across as negative. I'm not.

I believe in Scouting and what it can offer youth. I also believe haven't been able to get across the message that we have as valuable a return on investment as sports or other youth organizations.

What I heard, as I read through the speech, were a lot of platitudes, buzzwords and lofty goals. What I didn't hear was substance. E.g., how does Steve Kent define relevance? In my work as a faith-based journalist, during my non-Scouting hours ( :) ), I've heard many a church youth pastor say the same thing - we need to be relevant. But until an organization defines what it means by relevance, the word becomes a moving target which either changes the organization's goals every six months or a target that is continually missed.

Partnerships can and do work. Most non-profit organizations have had to go this route due to the increased competition and the shrinking donation base both at the corporate and individual level. To prevent the non-profit from becoming a corporate shill (to use BalooTwo's word), the NPO has to develop strict guidelines.

Yes, we continue to have significant challenges. And yes we have and can overcome them. But I think for the grassroots to catch this vision, there needs to be much more substance behind it.
Robert White
I'm an ISTJ

BalooTwo

Post by BalooTwo » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:09 pm

Swampo. 3 years ago we had a 120% increase in cubs and an 800% increase in Scouts. OR 12 new cubs and 8 scouts. You can do the math. Our group goes up and down from year to year. Over the last 5 years, youth numbers are up in general, but leader number are down. The potential is out there, i agree. Grabbing that potential is the key. Robert White has put in nicely down (I am getting to old to be PC nice, I prefer to the point - and at least I will know if I stab myself with it).

It would seem all our past efforts to recruit more youth and leaders was for naught. We have a new plan that will triple our numbers. Be positive, it will happen. But how???? I can see where the extra million$ comes from - increased effort in popcorn sales. Shouldn't there be some increase recruitment campaign (this theme is all over this site).

I am sorry, but this sounds like some municipal politician out to change the world for a term of 3 years, then it is someone elses's problem. With every plan, there is a price tag. How many of you chuckled when I said paid leaders...... Corporate shilling (sorry I like that term is it is apt) - just image, the 1st Somewhere Scouting Group, we do it all for you is our motto (actually I like 'Just Do it') - McDonalds or Nike, they could fund all of SC.

ayates

Post by ayates » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:22 pm

In the UK they have sponsored badges that might (not sure) include the logo of the sponsoring company on the badge.

Errol Feldman

Post by Errol Feldman » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:29 pm

YES, most of the sponsored badges DO have the sponsors' names on them

https://members.scouts.org.uk/cms.php?pageid=756
Sponsored badges
All of our activity badges across the sections can be sponsored by organisations. We only work with those we consider as ethical and having a similar vision and values to us. As part of the agreement, the sponsor will have their corporate logo on the badge they are supporting and will also be promoted in Scouting Magazine and our other promotional channels. The aim is to provide brand awareness for the organisation whilst giving our members resources to help gain badges as well as access to competitions and fun days out across the UK.
Errol Feldman
Commissioner
Scouts Canada - Europe
Just an Old Dinosaur

“Do, or do not. There is no try.”
Master Yoda

andrewpaterson

Post by andrewpaterson » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:24 am

Folks... I was at this summit and for anyone who doubts the sincerity and commitment behind Steve's speech, with respect, you *know* nothing of it. While it is quite legitimate to ask "what does this mean" and "what will be done", speculation about commitment or motive is both unwarranted and unhelpful.
I am also deeply committed to breaking down barriers to growth and barriers to progress. As I said before, we can’t afford to be complacent. We can’t afford NOT to grow. So I’m asking you to lead….follow….get on board and be part of making this happen. And if you cannot, I respect that, and would ask that you move aside. Because we will succeed – we have no choice. The young people in this country are depending on us.
When in our history would a Chief Commissioner have delivered a message like that? What happened at the summit was nothing short of historic for this organization both for the message that was delivered and the focus on tangible ways to make a difference through direct rather than downloaded action. Steve's speech was only the first of several, two in particular from speakers from other organizations that have recently come through massive transformations and both reiterated the message above. While we're talking about historic...
Your Board of Governors has committed to investing $1,000,000 in national funds that will be allocated to initiatives aligned with the Action Plan. This special fund is already created and the funds are in place. I am thrilled to make this $1 million announcement this morning, and this is only the beginning.
When in our history have we ever committed, at the National level to doing what's needed to grow in so clear a manner. To be sure, there are still folks who don't yet understand; who drag out the same old misunderstandings and approaches; who make excuses for their own inaction by pointing to retention and placing the blame on section leaders for "not running the program" when the truth is that our market has shifted and young people have a veritable banquette of opportunities, not to mention ever greater demands from activities like hockey (and it's massive marketing machine), school, etc. Another truth that we don't face... we don't take in every kid that comes to us! We would be well on our way to that 15% if we actually took their names and followed up rather than just giving them the next person's phone number... or in too many cases, heaven forbid, just returned their phone calls. Every kid that we don't take in is a kid who's marketing some other program to their friends.

What is it to be relevant? Good question, for which there is a very typically Scouting answer: "ask the youth". Don't just ask them what they want. Especially don't ask and then "cherry pick" what get's done. Ask them to decide, to lead and then, as adults, get out of the way! We (adults) need to stop imposing our 20, 30 or more year old view on *their* movement. This doesn't mean that, as adults, we don't have a role to play. We absolutely do; as advisors, not leaders, directors, deciders, etc. We are needed in other ways as well:
What do you need to do? Here’s my challenge to each of you.
• Focus on the future – SCOUTINGNOW
– No more conversation about membership decline… it’s over and done with!
• Focus on GROWTH
– Challenge yourself, figure out what growth looks like for your Council and your peers. Challenge and support each other\
• Take Some RISKS\
– Try something new, invite others, think BIG and act boldly!
• Celebrate your SUCCESS and the success of others.

Let’s build teams…invest in change. And make dreams happen.

Let’s say goodbye to some of the past, to the conversations that took us away from what we really needed to accomplish. Our legacy is a good one – there’s no doubt. It brought us to this point today. I asked you earlier to look around. This is quite a movement. We are all here for the same reason – because we believe in this organization and we want to see it thrive.
Coming out of the summit, each Council had a list of initiatives that they developed to help create growth, increase youth involvement and support groups and sections. The Board of Governors and the Operations Advisory Committee likewise developed their own lists to work. There will be more on all of this in the coming weeks ahead. This year's annual general meeting should be interesting...

If you have new ideas, let's hear them! Better yet, go do them and let everyone know what you're doing and how it's working. On the other hand, if your contribution is to stand on the side lines, "pitch rocks" and wait for someone else to act, then, with respect, it may sadly be that the greatest gift that you can give this organization might well be to leave. I'm not saying that this is at a all a desirable outcome, just the lesser of two evils.
YIS
Andrew

You must show (them) by Your action that you consider (them to be) a responsible being. ... but in any case leave (them) alone and trust (them) to do (their) best. Trust should be the basis of all our moral training.
~ Lord Baden-Powell of Gilwell, Aids to Scoutmastership, 1920

Karl Wagner

Post by Karl Wagner » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:17 pm

A few videos from the summit have been published on the Scouts Canada website.
I'm an INTP. What are you?

scoutleader101

Post by scoutleader101 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:27 am

I'm with Andrew on this. You naysayers need to get out and get excited and step up. This speech (and I wish I could have been there) was excellent and inspiring. Yes there are details to be revealed and worked out but that doesn't negate the goal. John Kennedy didn't have every answer or detail or budget when he gave his go to the moon speech that really launched Apollo. That was for the individuals to determine. They stepped up and they did it.

This is our Apollo and we now have a goal...an exciting goal. For the one who said that it was probably a bunch of yes men in the room then I say EXCELLENT! We want yes men (yes people!) on board who will step up and make this happen. Do you actually want no people to be running things?

Steve will be doing numerous council visits which are now being planned so make sure you go to yours when they come. My council has the honour of being first up this coming Thursday. We've booked City Hall and are planning to have hundreds of leaders attend. One of the groups in my area took the initiative and booked a bus so that all their leaders and others from surrounding groups can go together, reduce the environmental impact and have fun! Get involved, get busy and be positive. This is a time to really aim high.

Garth

Robert D White

Post by Robert D White » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:14 pm

A few clarifications:

1) I have spent the last two and a half decades listening to, dissecting and reporting on speeches similar to this. Since Steve was speaking to people who, I assume, were already aware of Scouting Now, I expected more detail on how this would unfold.

2) I have no doubt about and cast no aspersions in Steve's enthusiasm, sincerity and commitment.

But what I have seen is many organizations develop "flavours of the month" as they seek "relevancy." Without a definition of what it means to be relevant - and without defining that for those who will carry out the direction leadership - organizations have become rudderless.

What I have seen is this: organizations which develop a renewed sense of who they are and where they came from gain an understanding of where they are going. They remain true to their roots while reinventing the methods by those roots are maintained - but not by chasing "relevancy."

That's what I'm hoping to see coming from Scouting's leadership.
Robert White
I'm an ISTJ

BalooTwo

Post by BalooTwo » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:47 pm

And so there you have it. Blow sunshine at it and it will be better. Is that the best the collective minds at SC can come up with? How much are we paying you? Paying all of you? Throw money at it? Come on ordinary leaders, get it together and you can do better? Naysayers, please step aside? Don't worry about the past history, it can only get better? Is SC going to start firing volunteers for not meeting membership quotas? Most of the speech does not have much substance and what was said, other than $1million and traveling the country, is the stuff that most of us do all the time. We are looking to the future, we are taking risks to better the movement, we are and have been focussing on growth and membership.

Now I am being asked to 'move aside' if I don't blindly go into the future. Let's face it, if you aim for the moon and miss it, you land in a whole bunch of empty space, and dead in a week. Far to often I have to deal with grand plans, a good start and finish, but no implementation plan. Streaming video is blocked at my work, and my hamster at home can't get my computer running up to streaming speed. So, I have no idea of what videos are available.

There has been more comment and dialogue on popcorn and spirtuality that on the very substance and drive of the movement. Is everyone one on this forum a paid member of SC? I don't know if I find this type of dialogue disapointing or infuriating.

Robert D White

Post by Robert D White » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:21 pm

Is everyone one on this forum a paid member of SC?
I'm not.
Robert White
I'm an ISTJ

Chris Dougherty

Post by Chris Dougherty » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:36 pm

BalooTwo wrote:Is everyone one on this forum a paid member of SC?
Of the people who have been actively posting on talkscouts.ca, Mike Bingley and I are the only two paid staff that I've seen.

Errol Feldman

Post by Errol Feldman » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:14 pm

BalooTwo wrote: Is everyone one on this forum a paid member of SC? I don't know if I find this type of dialogue disapointing or infuriating.
I sure as the devil am not...ask anyone :lol: :lol:
Errol Feldman
Commissioner
Scouts Canada - Europe
Just an Old Dinosaur

“Do, or do not. There is no try.”
Master Yoda

Karl Wagner

Post by Karl Wagner » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:33 am

Some Microsoft PowerPoint presentations have been posted recently.

Edited to add:
  • You can download a free PowerPoint viewer from the Microsoft website.
  • Jessica Page's presentation currently links through to a Scout Popcorn form. I have requested that the link be corrected. Please do not assume it was done deliberately to market popcorn. Personally, I think that it is a positive sign that there is a sense of urgency to get this information out to us quickly, even at the risk of making some minor mistakes.
I'm an INTP. What are you?