What would you ask National?

Anything that doesn’t fit elsewhere yet.
GlennDay
anti_spambot: 7

What would you ask National?

Post by GlennDay » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:43 pm

I have three simple questions I would like to put forward to you all:

If you met a member of the National Support Team, what questions would you want to ask? What suggestions would you offer us? How can we make your life as a Scouter easier?

Any constructive feedback and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!
Glenn Day
Assistant National Youth Commissioner - East
e: gday@scouts.ca
t: @GlennJDay

ayates

Re: What would you ask National?

Post by ayates » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:48 am

Who is the National Support Team? What do they specifically do?

Sam Wallis

Post by Sam Wallis » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:06 pm

I would love the folowing.
1. an org chart, on line, going from chief commisioner to the group committee level, showing who, what they do and contact info. all staff positions should be somewhere on there. idealy it would go to the section head level, but that becomes changable. this should be online. then we might know what the national suport team are and what they support.

2. a list of available resources, camps, equipment, ect that could be found. divided by council or area. I want to go canoing for example, right now I have 2 barriers, one of which is that to go canoing I believe I have to rent the canoes. fine and well but there is a waiver....

3. I know this one is out there, but "encourage" all national staff, and voulenteers to read this board and post, either a reply or a thought weekly. that would probably help with allans question.
Truth is a perception, and a individual perception is their truth

Hawkeye3

Post by Hawkeye3 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:16 pm

I think Sam is onto something.

Last I heard, our average leader stayed two years. So, let’s make life easy for them. How about creating a bunch of “how-to” documents on the Wiki (ask for member participation)? For instance, how to plan a camping trip, how to plan and execute an event, etc. I feel that how-to’s would make leaders lives easier.

The other thing I would like to see is a National Training Calendar. I live in Ottawa yet have family in Toronto and New Brunswick. If a residential WBII was to come up in either spot, I might be able to make the trip. Even if a course came up in a neighbouring council (Quebec at Tamaracouta), I could likely make that one too. Yet, I will likely never know as I have to check tonnes of council sites to find one. A national calendar would be nice.

Tom

Sam Wallis

Post by Sam Wallis » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:49 pm

National training schedule would be great. I live closer to one of northern lights camps than most of the chinook camps, yet would never know if they had training there.

your basic plans would also be great for a new group. I think in established groups usualy have someone who has been to camp but a new group would need that for sure. and if our goal is to grow, we should be establishing new groups.

2HC-OldChil

Post by 2HC-OldChil » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:05 pm

Hawkeye3 wrote:I think Sam is onto something. ... Last I heard, our average leader stayed two years. So, let’s make life easy for them. How about creating a bunch of “how-to” documents on the Wiki (ask for member participation)?
I think the member participation idea is on the right path. How about the chance for the new (and all) Leaders to see what is being contemplated at a National/Provincial meeting and let the ACTIVE Leaders vote ahead of the meeting, culminating in a "consensus from the grass roots" making a future National/Provincial decision have more of a buy-in. There is no better way to encourage a (new) Leader than to let them feel they are having an input and being heard. There are probably lots who have senior Leaders who run a textbook program with little input from the newly invested.

Let's use the internet to get feedback from the front lines as I believe a 2 year Leader who is a Parent of a 7-9 year old would have a better idea what makes that age group "interested" than a National member who may be 10 years from active front line leadership. Look at the Cub program, some of the requirements are almost exactly like when I was in Cubs more than 40 years ago.

Ringtail_1Manotick_A

Post by Ringtail_1Manotick_A » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:52 pm

Here are my 2 ( I have others and will wait to publish until I'm sure I want to use up my 'last' question :D
1- When will Scouts Canada fix the search function on the main site such that finding content such as ' Who is the national Support team' might be solved with a simple search. Please note ... I used the following terms and found nothing "National Support team"

2- when will we hear about the resulting changes to the Beaver program particularly in relation to "badges"

Other questions I might consider asking are
- When will we consolidate all the various microsites into 1 or 2 main sites
- Apart from e-learning... are there any other initiatives/trials that are being evaluated that will improve our ability to deliver skills to the scouters that need them/want them ?
- vstk indicates that Group commissioners should be looking at doing a performance appraisals of scouters between March and May .. see http://www.scouts.ca/vstk/support.html in the servicing standards ... How many does SC expect will have been done by Aug 31 2012?
- What percentage of scouter evaluations would be deemed a Success by Scouts Canada for the service standards to have been met as far as National is concerned?

GlennDay

Post by GlennDay » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:04 pm

There are some great ideas flying around here, thanks for all the feedback!
ayates wrote:Who is the National Support Team? What do they specifically do?
The National Support Team is the collection of just about every volunteer on the National level on both the "volunteer" and "youth" ends. As it is such a varied collection of volunteers I would be here for many hours giving you a detailed answer on them all. I will however list some of the positions that make up the NST and if you have any specific questions about one or another I would be happy to give you some further details. Some of the NST member positions are:
The Chief Commissioner, National Youth Commissioner, members of the National Leadership Team, Assistant National Youth Commissioners, National Support Scouters, the International Commissioner, Council and Council Youth Commissioners, members of the Program Review Team, members of National Committees and Advisory Boards, and more! We aren't a large group, many volunteers fill more than one position; a regular contributor here for example (Kaylee Galipeau) is the Assistant National Youth Commissioner - Western Canada and one of the CJ'13 Event Managers. Some of the sub-committees and boards are: Marketing and Communication (marcom), Training, International Relations, the National Youth Network, Program and Program Services, National Review Board, Audit, Technology (the guys who brought you MyScouts and much more!), Financial, Volunteer Services, Youth Outreach, and more! As a whole the NST does its best to use different types of feedback methods, along with every members own personal experience to try and support the individual Councils (who in turn support individual sections using Area level support methods). We also strive to ensure that our organization is reaching its full potential by carrying out the mandate of the Board of Governors and helping decide on the largest of the changes to our policy that help maintain Scouts Canada as the #1 youth organization in the country. We also love feedback from every other level of Scouting: be it section, group, area, or council!
Sam Wallis wrote:I would love the folowing.
1. an org chart, on line, going from chief commisioner to the group committee level, showing who, what they do and contact info. all staff positions should be somewhere on there. idealy it would go to the section head level, but that becomes changable. this should be online. then we might know what the national suport team are and what they support.
You can see many of the National Leadership Team folks on scouts.ca at: http://www.scouts.ca/ca/management. An organized chart might be something we can work on in the future, I would certainly like to see something like that myself! If you ever want to get in touch with an NST member however, your Council Commissioner, Council Youth Commissioner, and your regional Assistant National Youth Commissioner are some examples of National Support members you can get in touch with fairly easily, your CC and CYC contact info should be on your Council website. On a more local level you always have your Area Commissioner, they are a great bunch who serve as Nationals primary line of support (through your Council) for the section level and should be able to help you out with most issues or questions you have! Your last question, "then we might know what the national suport team are and what they support." is an easy one to answer: We support you! We use the "chain of command" (National - Council - Area - Group - Section) to share the good news!
Sam Wallis wrote:2. a list of available resources, camps, equipment, ect that could be found. divided by council or area. I want to go canoing for example, right now I have 2 barriers, one of which is that to go canoing I believe I have to rent the canoes. fine and well but there is a waiver....
Lists of resources divided by Area or Council are available from those support levels themselves. Your Council for example might own canoes, try asking a member of your Area or Council team about it; they would probably be happy to help! If you want information on canoeing check the BP & P Quick reference guide for your section at: http://www2.scouts.ca/dnn/scouters/BPPA ... fault.aspx.
Sam Wallis wrote:3. I know this one is out there, but "encourage" all national staff, and voulenteers to read this board and post, either a reply or a thought weekly. that would probably help with allans question.
That's why I'm here, I hope I'm being at least a little helpful!
Hawkeye3 wrote:Last I heard, our average leader stayed two years. So, let’s make life easy for them. How about creating a bunch of “how-to” documents on the Wiki (ask for member participation)? For instance, how to plan a camping trip, how to plan and execute an event, etc. I feel that how-to’s would make leaders lives easier.
That is exactly what we're trying to do! We have many modules of prepared programming that can be used or adapted by section Scouters for regular meetings or camps. National isn't the only avenue of support for sections either, local Group Committees are a great resource for new Scouters and can often connect new leaders with some of the great Scouters in the group who may have been leaders for many years. Some awesome tools can be found in the "Scouters" section of http://www.scouts.ca/ca/scouters and in your section specific leader handbooks. Another resource I would encourage every Scouter to use is Field Book For Canadian Scouting. I absolutely love this book, I've even gifted it to some of the newer leaders in my Group!
Hawkeye3 wrote:The other thing I would like to see is a National Training Calendar. I live in Ottawa yet have family in Toronto and New Brunswick. If a residential WBII was to come up in either spot, I might be able to make the trip. Even if a course came up in a neighbouring council (Quebec at Tamaracouta), I could likely make that one too. Yet, I will likely never know as I have to check tonnes of council sites to find one. A national calendar would be nice.
That's a great idea! I know in my Council training is a very easy thing to find as we are a geographically large Council, but I know some leaders in Ontario Councils would love a calendar of all the training events in their region. I would encourage you to get in touch with your DCC-Training and ask about it; I could do it but I don't want to steal credit for your idea! You might even be surprised at what you find out, the National Training Network has a mind of its own.
Sam Wallis wrote:your basic plans would also be great for a new group. I think in established groups usualy have someone who has been to camp but a new group would need that for sure. and if our goal is to grow, we should be establishing new groups.
You're right, we are always trying to find new ways to support individual sections; if we can save you an hours work in a week, we're doing our job! Establishing new groups is always a top priority too, of course. I know Newfoundland and Labrador Council took on more than a few new groups this year, hats off to them!

I hope this has answered some of your questions, thanks for all the feedback! I will continue monitoring this thread and try to answer your queries as best I can.

Yours in Scouting,
Glenn Day

GlennDay

Post by GlennDay » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:43 pm

Even more responses, awesome! Lets see if I can help you out.
2HC-OldChil wrote:I think the member participation idea is on the right path. How about the chance for the new (and all) Leaders to see what is being contemplated at a National/Provincial meeting and let the ACTIVE Leaders vote ahead of the meeting, culminating in a "consensus from the grass roots" making a future National/Provincial decision have more of a buy-in. There is no better way to encourage a (new) Leader than to let them feel they are having an input and being heard. There are probably lots who have senior Leaders who run a textbook program with little input from the newly invested.
This is a concept we are trying to promote! You may or may not know that ANY leader in a given Council can be nominated for and earn a voting spot for his/her Council at the National AGM every year. Most Councils also run Leadership Summits annually or every two or three years that are open to ALL leaders in the Council. I know my Council ran a Leadership Summit this past fall and it was a great experience. There are always avenues for your voice to be heard throughout the organization, never forget that. Any Scouter can apply for any position in the organization (even Chief Commissioner!), you can also use e-mail or one of your local Area Support Team members to have your voice broadcast to your commissioners. One thing to remember is: section leaders are the heads of this organization, everyone else is there to support you! As for the more specific question about local Scouters ignoring the input of newly invested leaders: I can only pray that Groups start to change that culture in their sections. Again, if you see that sort of thing happening, bring it up in a Group Committee meeting! We want to encourage positive growth and the development of great new leaders on every level of Scouts Canada.
2HC-OldChil wrote:Let's use the internet to get feedback from the front lines as I believe a 2 year Leader who is a Parent of a 7-9 year old would have a better idea what makes that age group "interested" than a National member who may be 10 years from active front line leadership. Look at the Cub program, some of the requirements are almost exactly like when I was in Cubs more than 40 years ago.
We always want feedback from the section level! If you feel you have a good point to make, send an e-mail or call the National HQ and voice it! I guarantee you, even if you e-mail our Chief Commissioner Steve Kent, he will respond! As for your reference to the Cub program: that's what our current program review strategy is all about. We have a great team (most of which are awesome section leaders we recruited) heading up this area and after hearing about some of it at our National Leadership Conference this past weekend I'm really excited to see it in action! Also, as a member of the NST I can safely say that not all National Support Scouters are disconnected from the section level. I'm still a section leader (Akela, 1'st Portugal Cove Cubs), and many others still keep that local Group tie. Another example is our National Youth Commissioner, Dylan Reinhart: he holds a membership with a Rover Crew and leads in two different Beaver Scout sections, one that operates in french and the other in english! If you would like more examples, feel free to e-mail me (gday@scouts.ca), I can easily put you in touch with a dozen or more National Scouters that lead with sections (and those are just some I can think of off the top of my head).
Ringtail_1Manotick_A wrote:1- When will Scouts Canada fix the search function on the main site such that finding content such as ' Who is the national Support team' might be solved with a simple search. Please note ... I used the following terms and found nothing "National Support team"
Scouts.ca is an ongoing project for our tech guys. Keep in mind, they just released MyScouts! I know that they are actively working on it though and we should start to see the fruits of all their hard work as we move forwards. If you have any questions about technology you can fire off an e-mail to the help desk (helpcentre@scouts.ca). If you want to see some names connected to the NST, see one of my earlier posts.
Ringtail_1Manotick_A wrote:2- when will we hear about the resulting changes to the Beaver program particularly in relation to "badges"
Our Program Review Team is working hard to help get this new program on the ground. I can't give you any exact time lines but you should definitely keep an eye out. I know from speaking with some of them that it is going to be a fantastic new system that we will be using!
Ringtail_1Manotick_A wrote:- When will we consolidate all the various microsites into 1 or 2 main sites
I can't speak to this with any authority, but I believe it is an ongoing issue. Try sending an e-mail to the help desk (helpcentre@scouts.ca) and asking about it. They know more about the technology end of Scouts than I do!
Ringtail_1Manotick_A wrote:- Apart from e-learning... are there any other initiatives/trials that are being evaluated that will improve our ability to deliver skills to the scouters that need them/want them ?
Yes there are! MyScouts.ca will eventually have a full suite of tools available to all Scouters, keep an eye out!
Ringtail_1Manotick_A wrote:- vstk indicates that Group commissioners should be looking at doing a performance appraisals of scouters between March and May .. see http://www.scouts.ca/vstk/support.html in the servicing standards ... How many does SC expect will have been done by Aug 31 2012?
Good question, and I don't have a definitive answer for you right now. You can try asking your Area Commissioner, but I will also look into it myself with the program guys. Touching on your last question as well: we're not out to get dirt on you! Section review is as much a tool for the section itself to see where they might be able to improve, and it keeps the Group Commissioner up to date.

One more post down! Keep the feedback coming, I'm happy to help wherever I can!

Yours in Scouting,
Glenn Day

Robert D White
anti_spambot: 0

Post by Robert D White » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:17 pm

Here are a couple of questions:

1) Has there been any follow up done to find out if e-Training has been successful in providing new Scouters with the skills and resources they need to be effective in their roles?

2) In all of the program changes that have been made/modified/improved, there seems to have been little emphasis on the element of "spiritual development." Has there been any thought to gathering Scouting Chaplains or Volunteers with experience/training/interest in this area to improve the current resources and provide Section Scouters with the tools they need for this program element?
Robert White
Group Commissioner, 1st Guelph Firefighter Venturers/1st Guelph Rovers
Chaplain, Wellington Area
I'm an ISTJ

Sam Wallis

Post by Sam Wallis » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:24 pm

Sam Wallis wrote:3. I know this one is out there, but "encourage" all national staff, and voulenteers to read this board and post, either a reply or a thought weekly. that would probably help with allans question.
That's why I'm here, I hope I'm being at least a little helpful! quote didnt work well....

its great that you are here, and I hope that you can encorage others. I would definatly encorage and easy to find org chart. right now, I can search for a role at the council level, but its kind of cumbersome.

I would sugest finding a forum (like this) to encourage feedback, rather than emailing people. that way more than one person can benefit from the answer, and often people can build off each other, with ideas.

personaly when I see an issue, here or on facebook responded to with send and email to.... I figure that the issue is not being treated as an important issue.

GlennDay

Post by GlennDay » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:52 pm

Robert D White wrote:1) Has there been any follow up done to find out if e-Training has been successful in providing new Scouters with the skills and resources they need to be effective in their roles?
I don't know any exact figures, but I do have some experience presenting WBI woggles here in my Area. We run two "in-person" training courses every year, and this year was no exception; as it turned out we had to cancel one of the courses this past fall and only ran a single in-person session a couple weeks ago. That being said, there were no shortage of woggles to present! It's a very Area specific issue, but I think it has generally been a success. I'll check into it and get back to you!

Yours in Scouting,
Glenn Day

Ringtail_1Manotick_A

Post by Ringtail_1Manotick_A » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:55 pm

personaly when I see an issue, here or on facebook responded to with send and email to.... I figure that the issue is not being treated as an important issue.
An alternative way at looking at why people seek responses by email is that the topic may be considered sensitive.

I applaud this forum. And this topic! However email/conversations/reports will still be of use as there are only 516 users (at current count) on this forum. It's 'reach' is limited.

Kaylee Galipeau

Post by Kaylee Galipeau » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:41 pm

Sam Wallis wrote:
Sam Wallis wrote: personaly when I see an issue, here or on facebook responded to with send and email to.... I figure that the issue is not being treated as an important issue.

I'm disappointed a little that you feel that way- although I frequent the SC fb page and talkscouts, I'm confident that it's possible I may miss things that fall under my area of responsibility. In that instance I hope someone else would step up and let the scouter know that they can contact me so I can support them.

Although it would be great if every National Support scouter could frequent all of these venues, it it very time consuming (as someone who does it, I know!).

When I give someone an e-mail of someone they can contact, I'm doing it so they get accurate answers from the people who have them. I'm not an expert of everything that happens at national, so I can't give answers to everything- same goes for many of us. But I CAN point you in the right direction to get those answers. Giving out an e-mail isn't malicious- it's an attempt to support, even if it's not your proffered method.

The facebook group and these pages are great for discussion, but often the answers to questions get buried and blurred with stories about the way someone's group has always done something. It's great for sharing- but in my opinion not the best way to get an answer.

Personally as a scouter- when I have a question, I want an answer- so apologies that you feel giving out e-mail addresses for people who help isn't helpful- but it isn't going to stop me from doing it. There are many who find it useful- so I hope you are considerate of those who like it :)
YiS,
Kaylee Galipeau
National Youth Commissioner
CJ2013 Special Events Manager

GlennDay

Post by GlennDay » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:42 pm

Sam Wallis wrote:its great that you are here, and I hope that you can encorage others. I would definatly encorage and easy to find org chart. right now, I can search for a role at the council level, but its kind of cumbersome.

I would sugest finding a forum (like this) to encourage feedback, rather than emailing people. that way more than one person can benefit from the answer, and often people can build off each other, with ideas.

As I posted earlier, a full chart of Scouts Canada support members might one day be available, but it will take some time and hard work! If you want to get in touch with a particular support Scouter in your region try talking to your Area Commissioner. Your AC is your primary link to your Council and National and they should be able to get you in touch with the right people, or you can call your Council Admin Centre. Most Councils also have a "Council Leadership Team" page on their website as well. As for National Support folks, your link there is your Council Commissioner.

Forums and social media can be tricky, we're still working at ways to make it work a little more efficiently. I know that MyScouts.ca will eventually have a social media application, so keep an eye out for that! From what I can see, our issue with the S.C. Facebook page and this forum is that sometimes threads and topics will get a little out of hand and lose the original message, which is why we sometimes offer up personal e-mail contact to the appropriate parties. Also, it can sometimes save us from typing out a massive chunk of text that will not be relevant to the majority of readers. It's not that we don't care about you, or that we're trying to make you disappear: we want to offer you the best support we can. Of course, if we feel something is important enough to a large enough audience we will get it out there, the FAQ page for MyScouts.ca for example. Also, if you really want to get your message out to the public you can always send a tweet to the Scouts Canada twitter (@scoutscanada)!

I hope this answers your question, feel free to post again and I'll get back to you as soon as possible!

Yours in Scouting,
Glenn Day

GlennDay

Post by GlennDay » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:51 pm

Ringtail_1Manotick_A wrote:I applaud this forum. And this topic!
I'm happy to hear we have supporters, especially for my thread!
Glenn Day

GlennDay

Post by GlennDay » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:10 am

Oops, I forgot to address your second question!
Robert D White wrote:2) In all of the program changes that have been made/modified/improved, there seems to have been little emphasis on the element of "spiritual development." Has there been any thought to gathering Scouting Chaplains or Volunteers with experience/training/interest in this area to improve the current resources and provide Section Scouters with the tools they need for this program element?
A new "spiritual development" plan is in the works as part of our ongoing program review. I believe they consulted Scout Chaplains and some ordained religious figures throughout the process, so hopefully it will be to your liking. Keep an eye out, you should see the results soon! I know Scout Chaplains aren't a big presence in my Council, but if you have a large enough number in your region perhaps organizing a gathering of like-minded Scouters could be something you look at yourself; it might be a popular idea!

Yours in Scouting,
Glenn Day

Sam Wallis

Post by Sam Wallis » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:35 am

Ringtail_1Manotick_A wrote:
An alternative way at looking at why people seek responses by email is that the topic may be considered sensitive.

I applaud this forum. And this topic! However email/conversations/reports will still be of use as there are only 516 users (at current count) on this forum. It's 'reach' is limited.
the reach here is definatly limited which is a shame, there is tons of info here.

there are a few topics to sensitive to publisize for sure, and those should be via email.

Sam Wallis

Post by Sam Wallis » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:41 am

Kaylee Galipeau wrote:

I'm disappointed a little that you feel that way- although I frequent the SC fb page and talkscouts, I'm confident that it's possible I may miss things that fall under my area of responsibility. In that instance I hope someone else would step up and let the scouter know that they can contact me so I can support them.

Although it would be great if every National Support scouter could frequent all of these venues, it it very time consuming (as someone who does it, I know!).

When I give someone an e-mail of someone they can contact, I'm doing it so they get accurate answers from the people who have them. I'm not an expert of everything that happens at national, so I can't give answers to everything- same goes for many of us. But I CAN point you in the right direction to get those answers. Giving out an e-mail isn't malicious- it's an attempt to support, even if it's not your proffered method.

The facebook group and these pages are great for discussion, but often the answers to questions get buried and blurred with stories about the way someone's group has always done something. It's great for sharing- but in my opinion not the best way to get an answer.

Personally as a scouter- when I have a question, I want an answer- so apologies that you feel giving out e-mail addresses for people who help isn't helpful- but it isn't going to stop me from doing it. There are many who find it useful- so I hope you are considerate of those who like it :)[/quote]

I agree that facebook things fill up with some generic (bacon) chat. its the downfall of the media. this forum doesnt and alows splitting topics to prevent that.

the alternative to someone say giving me your email if there is something you missed would be for them to give you the forum link. that way everyone benefits from the answer.

and lots of people have different styles, I am fine with each member using a style that suites them. I know people who would never ask a question here, thats not wrong, its their style. we also have a fair number of members, and I am sure in your council also who will never post or email a question since they dont have internet. its never going to be one size fits all. my opinions are mine alone.

Robert D White

Post by Robert D White » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:15 am

GlennDay wrote:
Robert D White wrote:1) Has there been any follow up done to find out if e-Training has been successful in providing new Scouters with the skills and resources they need to be effective in their roles?
I don't know any exact figures, but I do have some experience presenting WBI woggles here in my Area. We run two "in-person" training courses every year, and this year was no exception; as it turned out we had to cancel one of the courses this past fall and only ran a single in-person session a couple weeks ago. That being said, there were no shortage of woggles to present! It's a very Area specific issue, but I think it has generally been a success. I'll check into it and get back to you!

Yours in Scouting,
I'm looking for more information than the number of woggles given out. I'm wondering if there's been empirical follow-up to find out if those who have taken e-Training have really found it prepared them and gave them the tools they needed to be effective Leaders.
Robert White
Group Commissioner, 1st Guelph Firefighter Venturers/1st Guelph Rovers
Chaplain, Wellington Area
I'm an ISTJ