Leader burn-out

Anything that doesn’t fit elsewhere yet.
jkeess
anti_spambot: 7

Leader burn-out

Post by jkeess » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:10 pm

I'm sad to announce that I'm going to have to take a break from the pack. All it required was a simple time estimate:

Late Feb 2012: Deploying for 8 months
Early Feb 2012: Going on course
Nov-Dec 2011: Wife going away on course

Workdays: 0530 waking up to be at work on time
Typically get home around 5-6

Scouting: 2 hours on cub nights, 2 hours every two weeks for rovers. Not to mention camps, camp planning, parent emails, fundraising, helping other sections....the list goes on. Especially when this is doubled for one's spouse in another section....it becomes simply too much - more or less all-consuming. The house is a mess, we don't sleep enough and have a rather extensive social schedule directly related to work (Errol can probably testify.) On top of that, we're both in jobs that require extensive reading and study in "off" time. We decided that a break was vital - after all, we want to spend some time together before 8 months apart!

How do you deal with/prevent leader burn-out? Do your groups have "leave" plans - a kind of succession planning that factors in breaks for some leaders? If not, do you think it's a good idea?

2HC-OldChil

Re: Leader burn-out

Post by 2HC-OldChil » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:08 pm

It is great you recognize that burn out is a real option. Been there and done that.

I suggest you ask around in your close circle for a person/leader who can take on more responsibility. While away perhaps you can converse by email/skype and be a leader by contributing your ideas. Use technology to your advantage. I have stepped into the background (inactive Leadership) and remain available by email and Area meetings to support and throw my 2 cents into the mix "when asked". Those that help by stepping forward will do so willingly knowing that you have an intention of returning when you get the chance.

You will be surprised that others who will step up if they know you will help them even if from afar.

Errol Feldman
anti_spambot: 0

Post by Errol Feldman » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:01 am

jkeess wrote:
Scouting: 2 hours on cub nights, 2 hours every two weeks for rovers. Not to mention camps, camp planning, parent emails, fundraising, helping other sections....the list goes on. Especially when this is doubled for one's spouse in another section....it becomes simply too much - more or less all-consuming. The house is a mess, we don't sleep enough and have a rather extensive social schedule directly related to work (Errol can probably testify.) On top of that, we're both in jobs that require extensive reading and study in "off" time. We decided that a break was vital - after all, we want to spend some time together before 8 months apart!
AMEN Brother! Don't get me started on that problem; deployment is a bitch! :x :x
Errol Feldman
Commissioner
Scouts Canada - Europe
Just an Old Dinosaur

“Do, or do not. There is no try.”
Master Yoda

ayates

Post by ayates » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:11 am

jkeess wrote:2 hours on cub nights, 2 hours every two weeks for rovers. Not to mention camps, camp planning, parent emails, fundraising, helping other sections....the list goes on. Especially when this is doubled for one's spouse in another section....
This is the problem. Nobody can do that much for too long, especially for two people in the family! Your dedication is to be credited, but my suggestion is to pick the responsibility you enjoy the most (be it Cubs, Rovers, or fundraising) and just focus on that. Anybody wearing multiple hats eventually burns out.

jkeess

Post by jkeess » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:04 pm

Thanks for the support and advice. My wife's on course for the next two weeks so I'll be showing up then, then there should be two weeks off. Luckily, we have leader who understand the predicament and we've been able to have a bit of a "leave plan."