Electronic Voting

Anything that doesn’t fit elsewhere yet.
dlincourt
anti_spambot: 7

Electronic Voting

Post by dlincourt » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:50 am

The Nova Scotia Council passed at their AGM a motion that will allow members of the Council to vote electronically starting at the Council's 2011 AGM. Has any other Councils implemented an electronic voting system? Or perhaps, has any of you done so in other environments? Would be interested in learning about your experience.

David

Kaylee Galipeau
anti_spambot: 0

Re: Electronic Voting

Post by Kaylee Galipeau » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:08 pm

As far as I am aware, Northern Lights has had electronic voting as an option since voting members started being elected. Voters can simply send their vote as an e-mail. Unfortunately not many people participate!
YiS,
Kaylee Galipeau
National Youth Commissioner
CJ2013 Special Events Manager

Karl Wagner

Post by Karl Wagner » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:00 pm

Voyageur uses electronic voting for the selection of voting members, but I don't think that is what is meant by this particular motion. I believe this motion allows the council to vote on matters by electronic means and have those decisions be binding on the corporation, rather than requiring voting in person. I believe such an amendment would need to be ratified at the AGM in order to comply with SC's policies. It would certainly cut down on travel expenses.
I'm an INTP. What are you?

dlincourt

Post by dlincourt » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:24 pm

Thanks for the info. We are looking for best practices to enable what was decided at the Council AGM a few weeks ago. Many professional associations have moved this way. We would like to understand the mechanics and the underlying technology to make this possible.

David

awallwork

Post by awallwork » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:48 pm

Online voting does bring an interesting set of compliance challenges. We have no method to positively identify that the person using online voting is in fact the individual who was authorized to make such a vote.

Depending on how much assurance we need an online voting system that uses a voting PIN which is mailed out to the registered mailing address of the voting member. This would be very similar to the CRA's netfile or the votebyproxy I seem to get for pretty much every voting security I own.

Online systems, not something I've toyed with too much, but something with open code (and potentially hosted by an legally bound third party such as an accounting firm) would be best in my books. We need an audit trail and we don't want to be in an e-voting scandal like we see in the US.

A
pccrovers.com | andrew.wallwork AT pccrovers (the one character) com | twitter @scoutscanada @awallwork

scoutleader101

Post by scoutleader101 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:44 pm

I strongly suggest investigating what MEC does for their members. It seems to work well.

Garth

dlincourt

Post by dlincourt » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:02 am

Great feedback - thanks.