Group in a box

Initiatives, things that have worked, ideas for the future.
Sam Wallis
anti_spambot: 7

Re: Group in a box

Post by Sam Wallis » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:38 am

sounds like a more permanant version of a yurt. yurt is wood framed canvas sides typicaly.

I guess that when I was a kid we stayed in tabins, canvas top half wood botom. we just called them cabins though
Truth is a perception, and a individual perception is their truth

Hawkeye3

Post by Hawkeye3 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:35 am

So, the suggestion is to have new groups use either personal tents, borrow tents (4 times a year for Cubs, more for Scouts), rent cabins, or where possible, Adirondacks? This group should save up their money and purchase equipment as resources permit. Considering how my group earns / spends money, this would take ~5-7 years, and we bring a whole new meaning to frugality.

Here are some stats about the areas that I am looking at:
-It’s a growing suburb
-Most of the housing is less than 10 years old
-There are six K-8 schools, at least two more planned (the English public one is bursting at the seams)
-There are more houses planned
-South of a major, arterial road
-Two Scout groups serve this area, but neither are south of the major road (you know how some roads serve as a dividing line? This is one of them)

Is 5-7 years a reasonable timeline to fully outfit a group?

I know that where I live, within 20 minutes, there are 3 rapidly growing suburbs; Rockland, Orleans (South), Findlay Creek. There will soon be a fourth. While there is much talk about infill development and families moving downtown, the suburbs are still where most of the young families are moving. IMHO, telling groups in these areas that they must use cabins for at least 3 years (more like 5-7) isn’t conducive to setting up new groups. We should be giving these new groups at least some support. If you were faced with the daunting task of starting a new group (finding new leaders, finding 000’s worth of equipment), would you?

ayates

Post by ayates » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:56 am

Another option is to ask local businesses and/or service organisations for support. I do realise, from experience, that this is easier said than done. However, they are typically more likely to provide funds if they know it is for a specific purpose rather than general operating expenses.

I wanted light weight tents for my Venturers, so I approached local businesses, service organisations (e.g. Legion, Lion's Club), and the volunteer fire department. I received enough money to purchase four MEC Apollo tents and ground sheets. After our first canoe trip with them, I sent each donor a couple of photos of the tents in use and of the kids on the trip. Play to their heart strings; it's all about marketing :)

Attached are a couple of examples of the letters I used at the time.

Allan.
Attachments
Letter - Firefighters Funding 2010.pdf
(127.53 KiB) Downloaded 239 times
Donation Request.pdf
(128.66 KiB) Downloaded 261 times

Jody

Post by Jody » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:00 pm

Attached are a couple of examples of the letters I used at the time.
Brilliant! Excellently worded letters! Thanks Alan. I've gotta try this approach...
B. Jody Lotzkar
Founder
1st Mountaineer Scouts, West Vancouver, B.C.

Email.......... scouterjody [at] gmail [dot] com
Facebook..... http://www.facebook.com/MountaineerScouts
Instagram... http://www.instagram.com/1stMountaineers
Web............ http://www.MountaineerScouts.com
MCAMP........ http://www.MountaineeringCamp.com

Oh, and if anyone asks: Yes....this IS supposed to scare your mother!

ayates

Post by ayates » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:30 pm

One bit of feedback I received from a donor was that they really appreciated that we acknowledged they had previously made a donation to us (even though it was a number of years ago).

Allan.

Angus Bickerton

Post by Angus Bickerton » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:22 pm

Allan, this is a big help to us here in Brockville. We are at the useful life end for all of our equipment for both our Packs and our Troop. Beavers, strangely, have brand new, good quality Eureka! tents, but only because the Contact Leader did some leg work and asked for money.

Our Scouts are camping in what are now garbage tents. Any major storm, and we'd be in trouble. They are just worn out.

We are actually thinking of going for the brass ring, and applying for a Trillium grant, so Hawkeye3, maybe that would help you too, since I know you are also in Ontario. Perhaps we can collaborate in the coming months?

Firstly, your Group needs to actually exist, and you have to have all your planning documents done (3 year plan, annual plans for group and each section, and group and section budgets). You also need an inventory. Your paperwork needs to be immaculate, or Trillium won't even look at you. We are working on getting our Group's paperwork done right now. It's required in B.P.&P. anyway, and if you want your sections to earn the Program Quality Standards Award, then you need to have this stuff in place.

So, once your ducks are all lined up, decide what you need, what it will cost, and prepare an acquisition plan. We intend to purchase tents sufficient for our two Packs and the Troop, canoes (w. lifejackets and paddles (though the Scouts will make their own paddles this year)), and lightweight camping gear (small stoves and lightweight tents for senior scouts and venturers).

Then, we prepare the grant application. I know from anecdotal evidence that your application must be totally complete, and provide all the required information in detail, or you get turfed. I know that there are groups that have been successful, so instead of reinventing the wheel, we should copy what has worked.

That should help save you from 5-7 years of borrowing stuff.

Incidentally, we have borrowed the bottle Un-drive idea from RakelaK, who posts here often, and it is earning us about $150 a month right now at a rural dump site in a nearby Township. Hawkeye3, in a growing suburb, I suggest you set one up at a nearby church, and start earning some money for an equipment fund. We are going to start a second depot in a more urban setting, now that the first one is up and running. Essentially, you create a bottle depot where people bring their empty beer, liquor and wine bottles. Then, you take the bottles to the Beer Store and get the refunds. RakelaK created an agreement with a local church where a church warden takes the bottles every day, and keeps 20% for the church. This cut down on theft of the bottles. With a bit of signage and word of mouth, it is a very effective fundraiser.
Angus Bickerton
Troop Scouter
Brockville Troop
1st Brockville Group Committee
1st Gilwell 2011 (Colony) 2013 (Pack)

There is no armour made that can withstand the truth - Karsa Orlong

gordtulloch

Post by gordtulloch » Fri May 30, 2014 2:24 pm

>Essentially, you create a bottle depot where people bring their empty beer, liquor and wine bottles. Then, you take the bottles to the Beer Store and get the refunds.
>RakelaK created an agreement with a local church >where a church warden takes the bottles every day, and keeps 20% for the church. This cut down on theft of the bottles.
>With a bit of signage and word of mouth, it is a very effective fundraiser.

We don't do this as we don't have anywhere where we could site a depot, but we have very good bottle drives by distributing flyers the week before (e.g. on the Thursday/Friday before the long weekend) asking ppl to leave bottles at the end of their walk/driveway on a certain day and time slot and we pick up at our meeting the following Wednesday by just driving around with trailers/vans - the Scouts just jump out and load the stuff into the trailer, thanking the homeowner with a cheery wave if they're around (often they are!) Very productive! Plus of of course we can advertise the Troop on the flyers. We can raise about $800 a night with not a lot of effort.

If we can raise $35k to send the Troop to CJ, $5k for a very complete camping setup should be a breeze! Plus the Scouts put in "sweat equity" and see the tangible results.
----
YIS - Gord, Troop Scouter 1st Southdale Winnipeg

Roxybeaver1

Post by Roxybeaver1 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:12 pm

A couple of years ago our Group upgraded our tenting equipment; the old stuff was still functional but not in top shape anymore. I heard from Group committee members that there was another group (maybe in the Cornwall area) that was starting up and had nothing and they were extremely happy to get our hand-me-downs.

You may want to contact your area commissioner and see if there are groups that are planning to upgrade and willing to give you the older stuff. It could tide you over until Trillium grant comes in or the fundraising rolls in (popcorn!!).

First cub camp could also be at Opi. Opi costs more than other camps but they have the Cub Kabins (which have no electricity or heat so they felt as warm as a tent to me!) and they cook for you, which could help if you are delayed in getting cooking equipment.

Unique fundraising also helps. In 1st Kanata, we have the annual bike sale which nets us serious cash for the group. A similar idea could be done with skating or skiing equipment.