Kids Fairs and School Handouts

Initiatives, things that have worked, ideas for the future.
ldyment
anti_spambot: 7

Kids Fairs and School Handouts

Post by ldyment » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:41 pm

We've used two ideas very successfully in the past three years to boost membership in our group from 22 up to 85 youth. These numbers aren't huge but in combination with a fun program we hope they will lead to even bigger numbers in years to come.
  • 1) A personalized flyer and school newsletter insert to all schools served by the Group. We don't put out a generic Scouting flyer that says "Here are the kind of things Scouts do...". We put out a flyer that tells kids exactly what types of events we've done over the last couple of years. When they see names of local events, businesses etc... the parents can relate easily to what we are doing and will talk to their kids about these events. I'm not sure how it works in other locations but in our area kids sign up for events as soon as school starts so if you don't register them in early September there's MUCH less chance they'll register later in the year.
  • 2) We've done 2-3 kids fairs, trade shows etc... where we do three things:
    • a) Fundraise, allowing us to throw off fun events for the kids without having to charge a lot for them
    • b) Advertise what we are all about. Get a projector and a laptop and show pictures of kids having fun - canoeing, hiking, camping, ziplining etc...
    • c) Hold a draw for a free membership. On the ballot we put a checkbox that says "Check here if you want further info on Scouting". We offer one free membership per year, drawn at the end of August. We contact all other people on the ballots who wanted further info. We had a list of 30-40 youth who told us they were interested and all we had to do was call to make contact with the name and phone number on the ballot. Many of these youth are now in our Group.

ayates

Re: Kids Fairs and School Handouts

Post by ayates » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:55 pm

We typically send flyers home through the schools (see attached). However, I think it is the school talks the council used to do for us that generated the most enrollment. There were accompagnied by a video slide show of the past years activities (the same show we used at our annual banquet; see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWSeMfuHmSY for an example). Kids seeing themselves and their friends doing fun stuff really went over well.

Allan.
Attachments
School Flyer 2010.pdf
(123.13 KiB) Downloaded 282 times

ldyment

Post by ldyment » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:15 pm

We've never had the chance to visit the schools - that would be great! A YouTube video is on my list of things to create for next year - yours looks great Allan!

ayates

Post by ayates » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:15 am

I consider that part of my job as a leader needs to be marketing to the parents. I have taken, and distributed, photos of the kids at activities and events for a number of years. Recently I have been shooting a number of video snippets as well. After major events I distribute a CD or DVD to the parents. However, for small events the photos only go on our website and it can't handle serving video files (they are too large and thus too slow). So I started posting the videos to YouTube. It was then natural to extend this to slide shows which combine a selection of the photos and videos. Both the kids and their parents like watching these. Many parents won't take the trouble to sift through a huge pile of photos, but they are willing to click on a single link and watch a video. They also forward the YouTube link to their family and friends.

I started with Camtasia (free 30 day trial) for video production, but have switched to Pro Show Gold. All the good videos/slideshows I have made can be found on our YouTube channel http://www.youtube.com/MerrickvilleScouts. One catch with YouTube is that they will mute your audio if your soundtrack matches copyrighted video; the solution is to post videos on Vimeo instead. I had to do this for my latest effort.

Allan.

Karl Wagner

Post by Karl Wagner » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:23 am

I moved all the hijack about copyright law to it's own thread.
I'm an INTP. What are you?

Scouter Richie

Post by Scouter Richie » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:51 am

This year I plan on having a few scouts earn their communicator badge by preparing and presenting the school presentation. I'll have a leader there to cover off the point that they miss. I'll let you know how it goes after.

The Prairie Heartland area sets up a booth at two yearly trade shows (Sports and Leisure, Family Expo). At the booths we have a rope maker and kub kar track (if space) for the youth and pamphlets for the parents. The rope maker works well as it gives us about 3 minutes to talk to each of the kids one-on-one and get them interested plus the time in line.
Depending on the booth that we get we sell fresh brown sugar bannock.
We get our booths for free in exchange for having some volunteers sit at the vendor doors checking for passes.

Drawing for a free membership is a good idea.
YIS
Richie
Deputy Council Youth Commissioner - Youth Training & Special Events
Saskatchewan Council