Leadership ages for junior leaders

Ideas, approaches, material, etc. to develop our senior youth into leaders of the movement.
aging
anti_spambot: 7

Leadership ages for junior leaders

Post by aging » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:55 pm

I have an interesting problem and I am looking for a good solution. I have a young lady (who just happens to be my daughter :D ), who would very much like to be a "junior leader." However, she is only 14 yrs old. She has been coming to meetings and camps as one of my kids (not a cub) and helping out when and where she can. According to Scout rules, she must be registered somewhere to be an accepted and legal part of my team. She considered joining venturers, but after much consideration, she decided it was too much of a time committment considering all the other things she is involved in. We asked this group if we could register her in name only and explained the circumstances, but this group declined. So my question is, how can she legally (Scout wise) be a junior leader and full fill Scouting requirements? She quite enjoys helping out and is pretty good at it. And considering that leader numbers are a little low, I like the extra help. Thanks in advance.

Errol Feldman
anti_spambot: 0

Re: Leadership ages for junior leaders

Post by Errol Feldman » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:14 pm

aging wrote:I have an interesting problem and I am looking for a good solution. I have a young lady (who just happens to be my daughter :D ), who would very much like to be a "junior leader." However, she is only 14 yrs old. She has been coming to meetings and camps as one of my kids (not a cub) and helping out when and where she can. According to Scout rules, she must be registered somewhere to be an accepted and legal part of my team. She considered joining venturers, but after much consideration, she decided it was too much of a time committment considering all the other things she is involved in. We asked this group if we could register her in name only and explained the circumstances, but this group declined. So my question is, how can she legally (Scout wise) be a junior leader and full fill Scouting requirements? She quite enjoys helping out and is pretty good at it. And considering that leader numbers are a little low, I like the extra help. Thanks in advance.
Here is a possibility:
BPP: 4008.4 – Activity Leaders:
Activity leaders are registered members, 14 or 15 years old, who work with a Beaver colony or a Wolf Cub pack as part of its leadership team of the Section. Activity leaders assist with the conduct of activities and serve as instructors or helpers as members of the Beaver colony or Wolf Cub pack leadership team. They must be willing to participate in a training program Section 4000 7 November 13, 2008 designed for this age group in order to equip themselves for the job. They are not part of the Scouter : youth ratio.
IF I read your question properly, you are a Cub Leader; register your daughter as part of your section as an Activity leader.
Errol Feldman
Commissioner
Scouts Canada - Europe
Just an Old Dinosaur

“Do, or do not. There is no try.”
Master Yoda