Rovers (those with scouter experience) training ALs and SITs

Ideas, approaches, material, etc. to develop our senior youth into leaders of the movement.
Patrick
anti_spambot: 7

Rovers (those with scouter experience) training ALs and SITs

Postby Patrick » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:27 am

Please correct and forgive me if I make any inaccurate comments as I haven't seen anything related to this anywhere.
I was wondering what people think about people think about having older rovers, those that have spent time as scouters and are actively seeking to continue with scouting, taking Trainer I and II courses so they can pass things down to ALs and SITs in youth oriented Wood Badge courses. I attended my first Wood Badge I in a youth course and I enjoyed learning with other people my age, but with a course run by rovers, with an adult with Trainer III coordinating everything,I think it could be beneficial, not only to the SITs and ALs who would have someone who shares a much closer perspective instructing them, but also to the trainers themselves who get a chance to do service and also to reflect on what they do as scouters. Obviously I'm not talking about rovers who are relatively new or who either are not scouters or who are just starting, but the ones who have been actively participating with other sections and who would really rise to the occasion if they were given the chance. I do not know if there is any sort of age requirement to take Trainer I and II, but if not I think this could work on a council level where they could find enough willing and eligible trainers to be able to make a selection from when choosing a training team with representatives for each of the four lower sections. Again, if there is an age requirement my points are completely irrelevant, but I think it could provide extra attraction and motivation for youth interest in AL or SIT roles.

Patrick

Sam Wallis

Re: Rovers (those with scouter experience) training ALs and

Postby Sam Wallis » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:45 pm

Probably a great idea, if sufficient rovers and SIT can be found, in close geographic proximity. I drove an hour each way to WBI, but I was 30 years old. the same may be difficult for a 15 year old. you would want this as a help to the youth, but not to hinder any opportunities to take training.

Training courses are not being run often, so that might be a barrier.
Truth is a perception, and a individual perception is their truth

Hawkeye3

Postby Hawkeye3 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:01 pm

Hi Patrick,
I agree that this would be a great thing to do. If you look at aquatics (swimming and lifeguarding), you can teach and lifeguard at 16. 16 year olds can train others (both older and younger) up to Bronze Cross which is (in many places) all that is required to be a lifeguard. At the age of 21, I became a Red Cross Instructor Trainer (SC Trainer II equivalent). I was giving people a Lifeguard qualification (a legal certification). If Rovers start at 18, why not? This level of training happens in Aquatics, so why not Scouting?

Why restrict yourself to just SITs and ALs? If you have the interest (and you seem to), Keeos and Kims both need training. So do Sixers, Seconds, PLs, APLs, etc. If you have the interest and time, SC has programs like FAST and FOCUS which you could run for more sections and other leaders.

I like the idea of youth led, youth run training. As long as it's effective, active, and fun, I would rather see a youth run this stuff. Youth see old people like me and often think "teacher" or "parent". When youth see a teenager or early 20s youth, they see "cool" and dream of what they can become.
Tom

Sam Wallis

Postby Sam Wallis » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:14 am

Heck, why restrict it to training youth? if a Rover knows their stuff, let them teach adults. I can learn stuff from my cubs, no reason I couldn't learn a lot more from a rover, at least as part of a training team. I only add that last caveat so that the adults receiving the training know the Rover has the credibility.
Truth is a perception, and a individual perception is their truth

Patrick

Postby Patrick » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:53 am

I am from the Greater Toronto Council, so I am thinking this from a city-dweller's point of view, it is obviously much harder in most of Canada, but I think that in most urban areas you would find enough willing people. I took both my Wood Badge I and II less than an hour away so it wasn't too much effort attending, more so for my dad who ended up driving twice as long. I personally would like to become a trainer in the future and as my AYC is the DCYC-Training I wanted to suggest forming a young training corps to help ALs and SITs get training from other scouting participants and young adults. Obviously the initial reaction is very good and as it seems there aren't any issues due to age, so thank you for those who have posted already and I'll check back every once in a while to see if there anything else.

Return to “Youth Leadership Development”